Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE Dual Booting with Windows 7 AND Loading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

Blog Entries

Lightbulb openSUSE Dual Booting with Windows 7 AND Loading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

Just this very day (2-22-2011), Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 was released. Anyone using Windows 7 is generally advised to load this new Service Pack. If you have not yet installed openSUSE or Service Pack 1, then do not delay. Install the Service Pack 1 first before taking any further action with openSUSE. Once done, then consider loading openSUSE onto your computer. However, if you already dual boot openSUSE and Windows 7, there could be a complication. This can arise due to one of three basic problems:

1. The Windows 7 Partition is not Marked Active for Booting.

2. The Grub Boot Loader is loaded into the Master Boot Record (MBR)

3. The Hard Drive Windows 7 is loaded on is not the selected BOOT Drive in your BIOS.

The Last condition is easy to fix. You just designate the Windows drive as the boot drive in your BIOS setup, boot directly into Windows 7, load the new Service Pack 1, rebooting a couple of times and when done, reselect the openSUSE hard drive as your boot drive in your BIOS setup and go on your marry way.

However, if your situation falls under the first two statements, then more effort is required before loading that Service Pack 1 is going to work for you. Now, before we go any further, by all means, attempt to load that new Service Pack 1 while running Windows 7. If it works it works and if it gives you an error message, then I suggest you follow the rest of this article.

First, you should download and use the very fine script file from please_try_again called findgrub and determine just where you have loaded that grub boot loaded. Here is the link:

Looking for Grub and Windows bootloader in all partitions.

Message #69 has the most recent version of findgrub that you can use. Run findgrub and print out and save all information from this program.

Basically, either grub is loaded into the MBR (Master Boot Record) OR it is loaded into one of the first four Primary Partitions 1, 2, 3, or 4. findgrub will tell you where it is at AND it can also determine what partition is the Windows booting partition for you.

Second, I suggest you download a copy of the GParted Boot Disk. Make and test the boot disk to make sure it is good. Here is a fine article from caf4926 about how to restore the grub boot loaded if you need to:

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic

1. If you determine you have loaded Grub into Partitions 1, 2, 3 or 4 then you are in luck. Boot from the GParted disk and change the active boot Partition to the Windows Partition Identified as bootable with findgrub. It is most often partition 1 or 2 and more doubtful it is 3 or 4. Here are some facts to understand.

Windows 7 when installed new from OEM or a clean install may create two Primary Partitions. One small booting Partition (first) and then a much larger second partition where the rest of Windows is located. You will be activating (Make Active) the first small partition. However, if this is a Laptop (and even on some desktops) be aware that a small restore partition could be present. Activating and booting from a restore partition could be bad and wipe out all data on the disk. So ask for help before activating a partition not identified as a booting windows partition by findgrub.

2. If you loaded Grub into the Master Boot Record, you have some choices to make. Most often, your only real choice is to boot from a Windows 7 DVD, if you have one and allow it to "Repair" your installation. Basically replacing the MBR with generic booting code and marking the Windows boot Partition as Active for booting. Once done, Windows will boot normally, you can run the Service Pack 1 installation and then you are going to use the GParted disk to restore your openSUSE installation. Here is an article about restoring the MBR to get Windows 7 working again.

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record - Windows 7 Forums

If you do not have a Windows boot disk you could be in trouble and may need to borrow one from someone to get through this. When in doubt, then take no action. Do not attempt to load the Service Pack 1 again (after the first try that failed) and continue loading the normal Windows updates. Again, consider asking for help in these forums if you need to.

I hope that you find the above information useful in getting your Windows 7 updated with Service Pack 1 and being able to continue dual booting openSUSE and Windows 7 as you desire.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: openSUSE Dual Booting with Windows 7 AND Loading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

Is the openSUSE forum supporting Windows maintenance now? I hope they are looking after you.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE Dual Booting with Windows 7 AND Loading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

No problem here. I made the Windows partition active, and booted into Windows. Then SP1 installed without problem.

I had already setup the Windows boot manager to get me back to grub. So I can still get into linux where I can change back to making the partition with grub (the extended partition in this case) active.

I do remember that installing SP1 on Vista (different computer) was very frustrating until I found out what it was that confused the Windows software.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Is the openSUSE forum supporting Windows maintenance now? I hope they are looking after you.
    Obviously not.
    But I see this as a positive step taken by James, in order to head off potential heart ache for those that multi-boot with windows7. My guess is, there are more than a few.

I wonder if someone in the windows forum will take the time to provide such guidance?

I say. Thank you James for your valued contribution.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks a lot for the info James. I've a multiboot lap (the one in signature) but got grub in the MBR. Hopefully the service pack 1 installation will be smooth for me. I'll report back but I don't plan to install until windows updater forces me to install it.

@Carl
    I totally agree with your reasoning.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Further on this topic, in post#8 here I provided some images how to setup a Windows7 boot if one can boot openSUSE via grub but Windows is not showing up as a selection:
    openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

There are various threads as well on how to backup the MBR prior to a major MS-Windows install (or update that is likely to impact one). Here is such a thread: Recover mbr ... as a result of this thread, as a precaution, I keep back backup of the MBR of all the computers in our house.

BACKUP COMMANDS

Extreme precision is needed, but the MBR backup can be made with the command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=MBR-backup-only  bs=440 count=1
    and
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=MBR-and-partitioning-backup  bs=512 count=1
    where this backups ONLY the MBR on hard drive sda to the file "MBR-backup-only" (it does not backup the partitioning information) and backs up the MBR & partitioning to the file "MBR-and-partitioning-backup". Note 440 is used instead of 446. There is good reason for that. 446 is NOT compatible with Vista nor Windows7, but 440 is compatible. 512 backups the partitioning information, but often one does not need that. Still, one never knows when it come in handy.

Then keep both of those files on a USB stick, clearly marked as to which computer they are intended for.

RESTORE (only)

Then if one loses their MBR for any reason, one can boot to a liveCD, plug in the USB stick with the backed up files, and restore the 'original MBR' (which may help in some problem cases) by:
    Code:
    dd if=MBR-backup-only of=/dev/sda  bs=440 count=1
    And if one loses the partitioning, and IF the MBR has not changed since the backup, then one can restore the 'original MBR and partitioning' (which may help in some problem cases) by:
    Code:
    dd if=MBR-and-partitioning-backup of=/dev/sda  bs=512 count=1
    Note EXTREME precision is ESSENTIAL. If one makes a mistake in those commands in either typing, or choosing the wrong occasion to use them, one can totally destroy their MBR and their partitioning (forcing a complete reformat and re-install).

Edit - Note I boot to a liveCD BEFORE I install Linux, and I use the above 'BACKUP commands' to backup MS-Windows MBR (and copy it to a USB stick), so that IF the Linux install goes bad, I can still retsore the MS-Windows MBR.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 23-Feb-2011 at 00:17.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    RESTORE (only)

Then if one loses their MBR for any reason, one can boot to a liveCD, plug in the USB stick with the backed up files, and restore the 'original MBR' (which may help in some problem cases) by:
    Code:
    dd if=MBR-backup-only of=/dev/sda  bs=440 count=1
    And if one loses the partitioning, and IF the MBR has not changed since the backup, then one can restore the 'original MBR and partitioning' (which may help in some problem cases) by:
    Code:
    dd if=MBR-and-partitioning-backup of=/dev/sda  bs=512 count=1
    Note EXTREME precision is ESSENTIAL. If one makes a mistake in those commands in either typing, or choosing the wrong occasion to use them, one can totally destroy their MBR and their partitioning (forcing a complete reformat and re-install).
    Speaking of extreme precision being needed - I made a typo above and corrected it. NNTP users will notice the correction. The above is correct now.

Blog Entries

I found this to slightly inaccurate: MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record - Windows 7 Forums
    I prefer this
    Win7 Boot repair:
    Boot off the windows 7 installation DVD
    Proceed to the screen "Windows 7 / Install Now" BUT DO NOT click to install
    Select to "Repair your computer"
    Select/put the radio button/dot next to "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems" --> Next
    Select "command prompt"
    enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    enter this command: exit
    Click to Restart
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

No problem here. I made the Windows partition active, and booted into Windows. Then SP1 installed without problem.
    How did u managed to do this, and how can i do this?
    Btw, I'm using Ubuntu, but i get th error when trying to install Win 7 SP1.
    So i start searching google and foun out that it is GRUB fault...

So how do I set the Win partition active in GRUB?
    Then installing Win 7 SP1
    And then resetiing the Partition to its default...how?

Thank you very much,
    Spazzt

Blog Entries

Smile Re: openSUSE Dual Booting with Windows 7 AND Loading Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

So a big thank you to everyone's support here as it is very much appreciated. In particular I thank caf2926 and oldcpu for their help and corrections when needed.

How did u managed to do this, and how can i do this?
    Btw, I'm using Ubuntu, but i get th error when trying to install Win 7 SP1.
    So i start searching google and foun out that it is GRUB fault...

So how do I set the Win partition active in GRUB?
    Then installing Win 7 SP1
    And then resetiing the Partition to its default...how?

Thank you very much,
    Spazzt
    Spazzt, I think you need to reread the above material. I do not use Ubuntu, but Grub still must be loaded into one of five places. If it it in the MBR, your only choice is to use a Windows 7 disk to "repair" your installation and permit SP1 to install. Otherwise you can use a Linux boot disk to set the active partition back to Windows. You will need to use a newer version of GParted with Grub2 to return your setup back to normal if grub2 is in the MBR or ask for more help in a Ubuntu forum.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast