Thread: Panel/Bar at bottom of KDE desktop is gone and I'd like it back.

Default Panel/Bar at bottom of KDE desktop is gone and I'd like it back.

I inadvertently deleted the standard default panel/bar at the bottom of the desktop in KDE v4.4.4. Here's what happened.

1.) While right-clicking on the qinternet icon on the panel (Yes, I use dialup.), I must have clicked some other combination that sent everything on the right side of the bar to the left side of the bar. Things that moved included the active and inactive icons, the clock, and the lock and logout shortcuts.

2.) In attempting to move things back the way they were, I somehow created a new empty panel at the top of the screen. Again, I must have clicked on things I hadn't intended to when working my way through the context menus.

3.) There was no change in the default bottom panel, which still had everything on the left side.

4.) I thought to delete the new panel on the top of the desktop by right-clicking and then clicking on delete. Apparently, though, I didn't right-click on the new panel because the bottom panel disappeared when I confirmed the deletion.

Now there's no application starter, no shortcuts to Dolphin or Firefox, no clock, no lock or logout, no active or inactive icons, and no active applications.

How do I get it back the way it was with the default panel at the bottom of the screen.

TIA,
    Mark Z.

Default Re: Panel/Bar at bottom of KDE desktop is gone and I'd like it back.

You could try this. Press Alt+F2 and type "konsole" (without the quotation marks) and press [ENTER]. Then do
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmarc.old
    Then
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc.old
    Then log out and log back in again.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew.

The sytem tray has returned, albeit, in a very messed up condition, but that's it. The tray is jammed at the very bottom of the screen in the middle horizontally. The only recognizable icon is for volume. I can tell the others, e.g., qinternet, device manager, klipper, are there by either moving the pointer over them or right clicking for their individual context menus, but they are not visible.

Could the panel/bar be off the screen or reduced so much in size as to be invisible? If so, is there a way to change this?

Thanks, again,
    Mark Z.

Right click desktop select unlock widgets then if you can find a clear section in the scrunched bar right click and select panel options then panel settings this should allow you to repositions and size the panel. Or you could rename the ~/.kde4 directory to ~/.kde4.old which will bring you back to day one. Note this should be done from a terminal with the GUI NOT running. (Doing it while the GUI runs is like changing a tire while driving down the road.) At the boot screen enter a 3 then select the boot option. Log into the terminal as yourself. type mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old. then type reboot. Your KDE screen will now be as it was one first installed.

Thanks, gogalthorp. That worked.