Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Corrupted Dual Boot system

  1. #1

    Default Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Dear all,
    please spend some time reading my problem, commenting on my thoughts and providing me suggestions

    1. One and a half year ago I have asked in linux forums (I think that was in this forum) if opensuse provides stable ntfs support. I recall that I got the answer that yes it works.

    2. Then I decided to make a ntfs partition to keep inside my /home directory (yes the linux home directory) as I wanted to have one common My Documents folder so when I reboot between the two os to have the same files (readable and writable).

    3. This worked well for some period ... but I see that there are times that I hvae lost files (eg. lost kwalletmanager's file, and my thunderbird account). This might happen
    3a. because ntfs does not support features programmes that are designed for ext suppose that the filesystem supports.
    3b. or because sometimes windows find a lot of mistakes in ntfs partition and scandisk clean out files with problems.

    4. Question: What is the most - well - supported- fault free method to have read and write access to the same partition between windows and linux? My computer is a laptop so I have to rely on a same physical partition. How programs that are designed for either ext and ntfs can live together and peacefully?

    5. As my installation right now has the problems I mentioned in 3 what can I do to move all my data to a new state (eg. convert my current ntfs partition to the new Hybrid-Super-Ultra-File-System) to reduce further problems that I face now?

    I would really want to thank you for your 'understanding'

    Best REgards
    Alex

  2. #2

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    You picked the right method ... but the wrong directory. Yous should NOT use ntfs for your /home directory under Linux. You should create a separeate ntfs partition for your data and access files here from both Linux and Windows. Further you can create a symlink so that this partition will appear as a subdirectory (under whatever name you call it) in your home directory under Linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,391

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Microsoft does not make enough information about there precious NTFS available for Linux to "totally" support it, although for most purposes, it is well supported.
    I would always use a Linux file system for /home, perhaps link to your NTFS ?
    2. Then I decided to make a ntfs partition to keep inside my /home directory (yes the linux home directory) as I wanted to have one common My Documents folder so when I reboot between the two os to have the same files (readable and writable).
    I'm not sure how to read that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    Microsoft does not make enough information about there precious NTFS available for Linux to "totally" support it, although for most purposes, it is well supported.
    I would always use a Linux file system for /home, perhaps link to your NTFS ?
    I'm not sure how to read that.
    That means that I want to have one directory called My Documents
    common in the two operating systems.
    In that way I have a shared place to save my files.

    For example I have thunderbird reading the same files from 'My Documents' directory folder either if I am in Linux or in Windows so in both operating systems I have the same mail client working with the same profile. Thunderbird can write in both partitions so I can read, reply my emails whenever I am.

    I did that also to virtual box. I installed my virtual machine under MY Documents directory so both operating systems use the same virtual machine.


    These questions still remain
    A. How can I do what I have just described? Having programs like thunderbird and virtual box that work the same in different operating systems. This assumes that there is a robust way of reading and writing files that works great for both operating systems.

    B. What should I do now. Move my files to a new partition? What type of partition ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Hi,

    I did exactly what you're trying to achieve, i.e. I have Thunderbird set up from linux windows (on a dual boot box) so that it uses the same data/accounts.

    This is what I did.

    First of all, install windows & Opensuse normally (ie. Opensuse with a normal , ext4 type home partition).

    Remember that whilst linux can read/write to NTFS partitions, windows can't read ext4.

    So, you will need to use a directory on a windows ntfs drive as exchange point to frour data. No problem heere, Opensuse will have put the windows drives under the /windows directory.

    Once you have installed windows & Opensuse, install Thunderbird on the windows machine. Set up a new caccount called "Account1" (or anything else you want, but I'll use that name in the examples).

    Now create a dir on any windows drive that Opensuse can also see. I'd suggest you call that dir "Mail", but you can of course call it anything you want.
    I'll presume that it is localted on the "D:" drive, for the sake of the examples here.
    In that dir create a new called "MaiAccount1" and another one called "MailBoxDetails" Again change the names t suit you.

    Now, in thunderbird, change several pointers.
    First of all change the local mail dir:

    Accounts settings -> Local Files : local directory. set that to the "d:/Mail/MailBoxDetails" directory.
    Likewise, for your account, under Accounts settings -> (your account) -> server settings : local directory, select the "d:Mail/MailAccount1" directory.

    Restart thunderbird. Now all the mail should go into the "d:/Mail" directory and its subdirectoeirs.

    Niow gointo Opensuse, and install/set up thunderbird with an account names Account1.

    Here, likewise, change the account settings.

    Sonce your account data is on "d:/Mail" under windows, it will be on "/windows/D/Mail" under Opensuse.

    First of all change the local mail dir:

    Accounts settings -> Local Files : local directory. set that to the "/windows/D/Mail/MailBoxDetails" directory.
    Likewise, for your account, under Accounts settings -> (your account) -> server settings : local directory, select the "/windows/D/Mail/MailAccount1" directory.

    Restart thunderbird.

    Send yourself a mail from within linux, and receive it .

    Quit Opensuse, boot into Windows, and check that you have that message also in you windows Thunderbird inbox now...

    HTH

    Lenwolf

  6. #6

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    I did exactly the same and it worked fine until one day.. I closed thunderbird in Linux and restarted computer ( I wanted to use Windows)
    Windows booted up and found that there are some problems in the D hard disk (I also have my mails in Dmail) and started the scandisk

    Since that scandisk I have lost two files that thunderbird was using to store my files and thus sharing data using ntfs in linux and windows I believe is a bad idea.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    Since that scandisk I have lost two files that thunderbird was using to store my files and thus sharing data using ntfs in linux and windows I believe is a bad idea.
    Yeah, well windows will do that...
    There are three good ways to deal with that :

    1- backup
    2- backup
    3- backup.....

    Lenwolf

  8. #8

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    Dear all,
    please spend some time reading my problem, commenting on my thoughts and providing me suggestions

    1. One and a half year ago I have asked in linux forums (I think that was in this forum) if opensuse provides stable ntfs support. I recall that I got the answer that yes it works.

    2. Then I decided to make a ntfs partition to keep inside my /home directory (yes the linux home directory) as I wanted to have one common My Documents folder so when I reboot between the two os to have the same files (readable and writable).

    3. This worked well for some period ... but I see that there are times that I hvae lost files (eg. lost kwalletmanager's file, and my thunderbird account). This might happen
    3a. because ntfs does not support features programmes that are designed for ext suppose that the filesystem supports.
    3b. or because sometimes windows find a lot of mistakes in ntfs partition and scandisk clean out files with problems.

    4. Question: What is the most - well - supported- fault free method to have read and write access to the same partition between windows and linux? My computer is a laptop so I have to rely on a same physical partition. How programs that are designed for either ext and ntfs can live together and peacefully?

    5. As my installation right now has the problems I mentioned in 3 what can I do to move all my data to a new state (eg. convert my current ntfs partition to the new Hybrid-Super-Ultra-File-System) to reduce further problems that I face now?

    I would really want to thank you for your 'understanding'

    Best REgards
    Alex
    On Windows install package EXT2FSD Ext2Fsd Project
    Once installed you can have r/w access to you ext2 - ext4 partitions on a dual boot linux system. On OpenSuse make sure you installed ntfs-3g for r/w access your ntfs files on a dual boot Windows system.
    You won't need to create a NTFS partition to share files between systems.

    I tend to treat Ext2FSD and ntfs-3g as a r/o access, copying files from Linux to Windows (and vice versus) to preserve the integrity of both systems, using the file systems as intended when extracting .zip .exe .rar, etc. I don't like running a Windows installation program from a .exe on a Linux partition, so, I copy the .exe to Windows then execute the program.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

  9. #9

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Quote Originally Posted by tararpharazon View Post

    I tend to treat Ext2FSD and ntfs-3g as a r/o access, copying files from Linux to Windows (and vice versus) to preserve the integrity of both systems, using the file systems as intended when extracting .zip .exe .rar, etc. I don't like running a Windows installation program from a .exe on a Linux partition, so, I copy the .exe to Windows then execute the program.
    I understand that this is the most safe way to handle files but in that case I can not have an instant access My documents files. Let's say that I work in opensuse and I decide to go to windows , I have to think way in advance what files I want to use and transfer them to windows partition (this most of the time fails as I can not predict what I will need in the future). Also I can not have a thunderbird running on the two os reading the same inbox files from my hard disk.

    In that case I think "we" should admit that a completely dual-boot system where files are used 'directly' is not feasible. (with the term directly I mean that I do not have to care which filesystem I am accessing and from which os).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Corrupted Dual Boot system

    Quote Originally Posted by alaios View Post
    I understand that this is the most safe way to handle files but in that case I can not have an instant access My documents files. Let's say that I work in opensuse and I decide to go to windows , I have to think way in advance what files I want to use and transfer them to windows partition (this most of the time fails as I can not predict what I will need in the future). Also I can not have a thunderbird running on the two os reading the same inbox files from my hard disk.

    In that case I think "we" should admit that a completely dual-boot system where files are used 'directly' is not feasible. (with the term directly I mean that I do not have to care which filesystem I am accessing and from which os).
    You just have to create a separate NTFS partition under Windows to put your Thunderbird InBox and other stuff you want to share with Linux. It requires a little bit manual editing of Thunderbird profiles under Windows and Linux but you can have your InBox on whatever partition you like. What you should not do is sharing other system sensitive files or use ntfs for your home directory in Linux. I don't know how safe it is nowadays to read/write ntfs on a regular basis. I assume it is safe but maybe not 100% safe enough. If it's an issue for you rather keep two separate Inboxes on each OS native fs. Comparing and merging the inboxes from a script would be another option ... or much better having your inbox on a Linux fileserver. So you could access it from any computer and any OS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •