Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Java, How-to please?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Java, How-to please?

    Hi guys, I was trying to get working a JAVA app yesterday. Whilst trying it, I went to the JAVA website to verify my java install. The website could not run its applet, and advised me that I had build 23 and needed build 24. I went to YAST but build 23 was the only one available. Back to JAVA and download build 24, in the form of a script. I run this, all seems well, but if I issue >~ java -version it still reports build 23 (the verify page on the website does too). I try using the alternate from the java website, a different RPM script, with the same results. I return to YAST trying force updates, no joy. I then install the JAVA repo, but find that build 23 is the latest available there.
    I have tried the tip from these forums WRT using >~ sudo /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --config java but it reports only one install, the build 23. I then tried force uninstall from via YAST, but this seems not to have helped. I guess the scripts install the java packages in different places to those expected by openSuse so openSuse does not see them. In fact they seem to install in my download directory, ie /home/stephen/bin. Is there a foolproof way to clean up all of this java mess and install the latest from the website script in a way and in a place the openSuse can use it?

    Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Java, How-to please?

    Here is Test #14 from the mmcheck script file. You can run the command shown manually in a terminal session to see your results:

    14. Show if Java Packages are Installed from openSUSE ...

    Command: rpm --query --all --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}\n' '*java-*'

    java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u23-2.11-x86_64 -> openSUSE
    java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u23-2.11-x86_64 -> openSUSE
    java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u23-2.11-x86_64 -> openSUSE

    You should expect to have only Sun Java Packages installed. If your files
    include the name --> openjdk <--, it is suggested that they be uninstalled.

    Press <enter> to continue...
    Or, you can obtain mmcheck from here:

    MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    result = java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u23-0.2.1-i586 -> openSUSE, same as for java -version.
    Code:
    stephen@home:~> java -version
    java version "1.6.0_23"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)
    But in /home/stephen/bin is a directory
    file:///home/stephen/bin/jre1.6.0_24 put there by running the script on the java website.

    Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rajshahi, Bangladesh
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    actually what u need ? run java desktop applications ? or run java applet in web ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    I got the app running, (here)Universal Replayer - the ultimate poker replayer but I want to know how to get my java install correct.

    Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    On 02/16/2011 02:06 PM, wakou wrote:
    >
    > I want to know how to get my java install correct.


    define "correct"

    that is, if it works it must 'ok' so what is between ok and correct?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,467
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    For all the times I've reposted links to these two threads long ago where ab "revealed" how to point openSUSE to specific Java instances, I wonder why any/all of my subsequent posts re-posting links to these links aren't found...

    openSUSE and Mandriva are unique that we have the "update-alternatives" applet that can point to any one of multiple JAVA JRE or JDK installed on a system. Just make sure that your install from source is in a path where it can be found, then point to it using "update-alternatives."

    How to point environ var to JDK?
    Problem: Sun JDK, not JRE

    HTH,
    Tony

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 02/16/2011 02:06 PM, wakou wrote:
    >
    > I want to know how to get my java install correct.


    define "correct"
    Oh Denver! Why do you answer questions that have not been asked? Java Website says "oops you are using build 23, please upgrade to build 24" I only asked how I could do this.


    that is, if it works it must 'ok' so what is between ok and correct?
    errr NO and you know that "If it works it must be 'ok" is just plain wrong.

    Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    For all the times I've reposted links to these two threads long ago where ab "revealed" how to point openSUSE to specific Java instances, I wonder why any/all of my subsequent posts re-posting links to these links aren't found...

    openSUSE and Mandriva are unique that we have the "update-alternatives" applet that can point to any one of multiple JAVA JRE or JDK installed on a system. Just make sure that your install from source is in a path where it can be found, then point to it using "update-alternatives."How to point environ var to JDK?
    Problem: Sun JDK, not JRE

    HTH,
    Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, Original post
    I have tried the tip from these forums WRT using >~ sudo /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --config java but it reports only one install, the build 23.
    I have tried, Tony....

    Tumbleweed/KDE/Ati Radeon R9 270/AMD FX-6300/8Gb DDR3

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Java, How-to please?

    On 02/17/2011 04:36 AM, wakou wrote:
    > Oh Denver! Why do you answer questions that have not been asked? Java
    > Website says "oops you are using build 23, please upgrade to build 24" I
    > only asked how I could do this.


    24 is now in the update repo and you can easily get yours "correct"
    again..

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •