XBMC 10.0.1 Packman Install problems

Hi all,

I recently reinstalled my OS and went to reinstall XBMC. I had previously had 9.11, the stable version from the packman repo. Now, the version in Packman is 10.0. I get the following error message when installing:

nothing provides the libva-glx.so.1 needed by xbmc 10.0.1.pm.13.8.i586

If I choose to ignore this issue and install anyway, I’m told upon trying to open XBMC that I need something that supports OpenGL graphics. I’m running an nVidia gt240 card with driver 256.53 (both of which definitely support OpenGL). I’ve installed VLC (no problems) and tested 1080p video files with it and they work like a charm (something that would absolutely not happen if my mobo was running the video output, so I know the driver’s working right).

I can’t find the libva-glx file to download anywhere. Can anyone help? I’d like to just install 10.0.1 without having to compile it manually. Alternatively, can anyone provide me a .rpm file for 9.11 so I can just install that?

I suppose libva-glx.so.1 is provided by the package ‘libva1’, which is also provided by Packman. Try to install that first, then reinstall xbmc.

You might want to report this issue to Packman, obviously their package does not check for this dependency properly.

Either way, ignoring dependencies is pretty much never a good idea.

I tried installing that package, not what XBMC is looking for.

Hm, I was pretty much guessing only… I suggest to report it to Packman (packman[at]links2linux.de).

So I am seeing the same problem with openSUSE 11.3 and Packman. If you try to update xbmc to the latest version then you get the libva-glx.so.1 dependency can not be met even as libva1 is installed. I think it is just another glitch in the Packman repository that will need to be fixed. Just stick with the old XMBC version for now is my suggestion.

Thank You,

I can’t unless I compile it from source. I can’t get the repo for it and since I did a reinstall, I don’t currently have it on my computer. I emailed Packman, I will post if they respond.

They will and most probably will fix it.

In case they do not, you could rebuild the src.rpm of XBMC from 11.2 on your system - that usually is much easier than doing a classic compile.

http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.2/src/xbmc-9.11-2.pm.13.3.src.rpm

Would it be compatible with SUSE 11.3?

That’s the point of rebuilding. :slight_smile:

Hello,

I was having the same problem when trying to install the latest version, 10.0-1.pm.13.8, from the Yast Software manager, but if you choose the previous version, 10.0-1.pm.11.4, all the dependencies are resolved correctly.

Hope this helps.

When I search “xbmc” in the software manager, I can only find one version; the one that isn’t working. How do I get the previous version from the software manager?

I found that adding the repository:
Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3

and then installing XBMC the dependencies are resolved and seems to work correctly. After installing I have disabled the repository so it doesn’t effect anything else.

Anyone see any issues with this workaround to get the 10.0-1.pm.13.8 version installed?

I found that adding the repository:
Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3

and then installing XBMC the dependencies are resolved and seems to work correctly. After installing I have disabled the repository so it doesn’t effect anything else.

Anyone see any issues with this workaround to get the 10.0-1.pm.13.8 version installed?
Thanks for the information jyas80. I will give this a try.

Thank You,

Everything seems to have worked for me. I was given the option in the software manager to “install libva… using a different vendor,” which I’m assuming is this new repo. Anyway, it would appear I am up and running!

Thanks!

Glad I could help…just make sure you disable that repo so it doesn’t get used in the future. :slight_smile: