Thread: WPN111 Wireless Adapter and NETGEAR

Default WPN111 Wireless Adapter and NETGEAR

Hi all

2 reasons to post. One is just to confirm information posted elsewhere that the above adapter can be installed on v10.2 and 11.3 using ndiswrapper:-

1. Copy the 3 driver files from Windows:- like netwpn111.inf, WPN111.sys & ar5523.bin.
    (Be carfeul about the exact names, because they have changed over time).
    2. sudo ndiswrapper -i netwpn111.inf
    3. sudo ndiswrapper -m
    4. sudo modprobe ndiswrapper (the adapter should light up at this point and networks will be detected shortly after - see network manager).
    (Be careful of paths here - e.g. I had to use /sbin/modprobe - so 'whereis' may be necessary to find these commands).

2nd reason for post. When I reboot, I need to run the modprobe command again. How do I make the module load automatically on boot? Also (and this is minor), can I bypass the KWallet, keyring thing? it seems silly to enter a password for the keyring and then click another password dialog, when I can just as easily enter the password for the network itself.

Cheers
    indor

Blog Entries

Default Re: WPN111 Wireless Adapter and NETGEAR

This guide explains how to configure via YaST...

Loading NDISwrapper at boot

One method that can work is to edit your network script in /etc/init.d/network. Add in a line that says modprobe ndiswrapper before it gets to the actual networking script so that ndiswrapper is loaded prior to the script running. Note, this should not be required if you configure your wireless interface with YaST and enter 'ndiswrapper' in the 'module name' field. This should load the ndiswrapper kernel module at boot.

Another method is to edit the config file /etc/sysconfig/kernel, by adding ndiswrapper into MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT section (e.g.: MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="ndiswrapper").

In some cases (USB wlan?) configuring the wireless interface with YaST, does not load the ndiswrapper module automatically. To get you wlan card to work at boot time, you have to edit your network script in /etc/init.d/network (as described above).
    Also (and this is minor), can I bypass the KWallet, keyring thing? it seems silly to enter a password for the keyring and then click another password dialog, when I can just as easily enter the password for the network itself.
    No, if using KDE4, it is required. (I've just found this out with trying to connect to our wireless network at work).