Is updating process different in various Linux OS, e.g. Suse and Ubuntu?

I have OpenSuse 11.3 KDE installed in dual boot with Win 7.
Have used Ubuntu in the past and remember that whenever I started my computer with Ubuntu, i had a black colored screen which showed various kernel options. So in short I was sure that the Ubuntu installation had updated itself.
On the contrary, whenever I start Suse 11.3 KDE, it shows me just one option of Suse 2.6.34.7-0.7

I have doubts, is Suse up-to-date, and also there is mention of KDE 4.6 on kde.org website. But my operating system information is as follows:
KDE: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) “release 3”
System: openSUSE 11.3 (i586)

I have also seen that on 10th Mar 2011, Suse 11.4 will be realeased. Will update/ upgrade of this installation work in this direction?
Thanks for coming here and clearing my doubts.

By default openSUSE keeps only one kernel when it updates. You can change it to keep the old kernel by uncommenting this line in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

# multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

Just remove the # in front of it.

If you want KDE 4.6 on openSUSE 11.3 you will need to add the KDE 4.6 repo and switch packages to that repo in YaST.

Of course updating process is different in all linux distros.
Your operating system(opensuse) is not up to date you need as you said upgrade your KDE. I have created a guide, it is in greek, so you must translate it Αναβάθμιση Στο Τελευταίο KDE](http://forums.opensuse.org/greek/i-i-i-i/i-i-i-iui-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-isi-i-i-ioei-i-i-i-i/i-iui-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-documentation/453205-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-iui-iui-i-i-i-i-kde.html). Go to the second page of thread and go down, you will find the third guide who I wrote it is the fast way.

And you must upgrade your kernel with this

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

as ANDREW said.

If you want KDE 4.6 on openSUSE 11.3 you will need to add the KDE 4.6 repo and switch packages to that repo in YaST.

Andrew because I use the factory repository is better with that and not with release repository.

I sent you a message about openfest. Have you get it ?

I could not translate the page to English, but as you have mentioned in post #20 on page 2, the link took me to this page
SDB:KDE upgrade - openSUSE
Here also, there is mention of 4.5. Can I change the figure of “45” to “46”?

How can i do this?

It is my technique to upgrade your KDE

Well first of all
open a terminal and write

su 

add repository

# zypper addrepo -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/46/openSUSE_11.3/ KDE46

add the extra repository

# zypper addrepo -fhttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_46_openSUSE_11.3/ KDE46-Extra

And upgrade

# zypper dup --from KDE46 --from KDE46-Extra

If you use network manager

# zypper install plasmoid-networkmanagement
kquitapp knetworkmanager qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule networkmanagement

Close terminal and reboot your system.

Warning all repositories possibly change

You will check here SDB:KDE upgrade - openSUSE

I wrote again ok???

Always Friendly!!!;):slight_smile:

First add the 4.6 repos. I recommend adding the Core and Extra repos like this. First become root in Konsole by doing su -
Then

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/46/openSUSE_11.3/ KDE46

Then

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_46_openSUSE_11.3/ KDE46-Extra

Then

zypper refresh

a to accept keys for both KDE46 and KDE46-Extra repos.

After that go to YaST -> Software Management. Then go View dropdown button -> Select Repositories -> Then select KDE46 in that list and click the switch system packages button. Then select the KDE46-Extra repo and click switch system packages button. Then click the Accept button. Then after that I would reboot and you should be on KDE 4.6.

Thank you Sir(s). :slight_smile:

Thank you Andrew I should write with kde 46, because this guide was with kde 45. I wrote the technique. Repos change. Technique remains;):slight_smile:

babloo75 write here the results of upgrading ok??

And if you have problems write them here and we will help you.;):slight_smile:

I am presently updating it… will write the result of upgrade after the process.
(Thanks for the help)

Suse has gone into a state of non-usability… The whole screen is black and above this is the KDE Crash handler windows (more than 100 in number)
Please help me…
I have lot of data stored in Suse partition… and I am writing this post through windows partition…

Please help me save my Suse installation.

Reboot your computer and go to safe mode then go to terminal and write

su 
# zypper lr -d

I typed that, but it gave me some information in a Table, which I couldn’t understand.
So I rebooted again in Suse (normal mode). The black screen remains and so are the KDE Crash handler windows…
It didn’t disappear.

Have you save your files in a USB HDD?
Maybe you need to format it.

Oh my God…! I didn’t save my files on USB HDD.
Probably Live CD can help save data.

In my opinion in one and only one HDD you must have one operating system and not more. Well try again to connect as safe mode and post results.

The same problem still persists… I am back inside Windows…

Try with a live cd to save your files. And please if you want to install a operating system, install it in a HDD alone without other partitions of other operating systems for example windows.