Thread: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Default Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

Please tell me a way to Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YaST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME).

My home directory is now loaded now with crappy .<NAME> files that are driving me crazy.It is tedious to find and remove folders when we uninstall and application

Is there a way that YaST can automatically remove there application specific settings folders when we uninstall an application ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

Hi
    Open a terminal and use the command [As your USER];
    Code:
    cd ~/
    rm -rf .<NAME>
    No the system cannot remove user files and directories, it's how it is... the creation of the ~/.<NAME> directories may be embedded in the application which the package management system knows nothing about.

In nautilus you can enable 'view hidden files' by pressing ctrl+h
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Question Re: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

Please tell me a way to Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YaST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME).

My home directory is now loaded now with crappy .<NAME> files that are driving me crazy.It is tedious to find and remove folders when we uninstall and application

Is there a way that YaST can automatically remove there application specific settings folders when we uninstall an application ?
    vazhavandan I have never heard anyone asking that question before here in the openSUSE forums, but I doubt anything is going to help if it is not already part of the application deinstallation. I can say that normally you do not see these files unless you have the view hidden file option set to on, these hidden files don't normally amount to all that much space used unless you are nearly out of disk space, I can't say I ever knew someone that installed a bunch of applications they really did not want just to uninstalled them all later. So, I am kind of thinking the removal of these left over files will remain a manual task for you.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applications through YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

@all -thanks for the replies

@ malcolmlewis -
    In nautilus you can enable 'view hidden files' by pressing ctrl+h
    yeah i am able to successfully delete them after using show hidden folders
    But sometimes these folders names are different from that of the application itself,hence the frustration

@jdmcdaniel3
    vazhavandan I have never heard anyone asking that question before here in the openSUSE forum
    There is a always a first for everything :-)
    but I doubt anything is going to help if it is not already part of the application deinstallation
    The problem is that almost all applications i uninstalled in my system find a .<NAME> folder remaining there for ever
    I can say that normally you do not see these files unless you have the view hidden file option set to on
    Yup,i noticed that
    kind of thinking the removal of these left over files will remain a manual task for you.
    Unfortunately it has become a harsh reality.The thing is i tried prism today and did not like it and hence got rid of it.But .prism remains :-(

Default Re: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applicationsthrough YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

On 02/13/2011 06:06 AM, vazhavandan wrote:
    >
    > But .prism remains :-(

delete it..

YaST will not delete it for you....and, there is a reason for that:
    there is always the possibility a user is deleting AppA in order to
    reinstall it, or to upgrade it...and, in that case all of the users
    configuration likes would be lost, and have to be re-accomplished if
    ..AppA is blown away...

now, it not such a bad idea to give the user the option to tell YaST
    to delete the directory....so, why don't you enter a new feature
    request, here: https://features.opensuse.org/

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

Blog Entries

Default Re: Force .<NAME> Folders removal when un - installing applicationsthrough YAST(openSUSE11.3/GNOME)

You are forgetting one thing. Unix/Linux is a multiuser system. When you install apps it's for the whole machine. You may be willing to say have all your Thunderbird email deleted when you remove Thunderbird. Another user on the system might get a nasty surprise if you deleted their email. Who are you to say that the other users might want not to move the data to another machine or use the data with another app? Also remember that if the app version is upgraded this generally involves a delete of the old package contents and install of new ones. You shouldn't put a user data delete in between.

If such functionality is to be provided, it should be the app itself that should have an action called Remove my data which each user can invoke. This might also be useful for starting afresh. But obviously it should have tons of warnings before actually doing it, otherwise you will have lusers wailing: <APP> ate my data.

@DenverD Liked your idea of adding the feature.Submitted the request

https://features.opensuse.org/311288

@all-thanks for your replies,much appreciated

@ken_yap-I understand your point.But the thing is nowadays all personal computing devices are generally not shared.Hence the system can provide an option,ofcourse giving proper alerts is also needed.

Blog Entries

No, not the system, the app. The system has no business messing around with individual user profiles. So go pester the app authors.