Thread: No desktop effects on 11.4 RC1

Default No desktop effects on 11.4 RC1

Hi,

I have updated from 11.3 KDE 4.5 to 11.4 RC1 in a Toshiba Tecra A7 (Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 2 Cores, 2GB Ram). Everything works except desktop effects. I have tried to enable them with opengl or xrender and the computer becomes impossible slow until they are disabled again. Any idea?

Thanks,

H
    Ps.
    Two weird things:
    1.- After zypper dup, I restarted the computer. OpenSuse 11.4 hang before the login screen. I turned off the computer (using the switch) and then on again and everything went fine ?!?!
    2.- After login in, a message appears saying that I have removed a sound device (I have a laptop). I go into manage devices and the same device appears two times: one enabled and the other disabled.

Default Re: No desktop effects on 11.4 RC1

2 thoughts

1) rename/remove the kwin*rc files in ~/.kde4/share/config (alternately create a new user to see if they have the same problem)
    2) I'd look at the graphics drivers, are there ones specific to 11.4rc1?
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hegheg View Post
    Hi,

I have updated from 11.3 KDE 4.5 to 11.4 RC1 in a Toshiba Tecra A7 (Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, 2 Cores, 2GB Ram). Everything works except desktop effects. I have tried to enable them with opengl or xrender and the computer becomes impossible slow until they are disabled again. Any idea?

Thanks,

H
    Ps.
    Two weird things:
    1.- After zypper dup, I restarted the computer. OpenSuse 11.4 hang before the login screen. I turned off the computer (using the switch) and then on again and everything went fine ?!?!
    2.- After login in, a message appears saying that I have removed a sound device (I have a laptop). I go into manage devices and the same device appears two times: one enabled and the other disabled.
    According to linlap, the Tecra A7 has NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300M graphics. Is that the case? I ask because the openSUSE HCL for Laptops confuses me as it suggests the A7 has ATI graphics ... < sigh >

... anyway, my guess is the HCL is wrong, and that your laptop has nVidia graphics, in which case you will need to install the nVidia proprietary driver. NOTE if you have a 32-bit KDE desktop, there may be some problems with the nVidia proprietary driver. If you have a 64-bit KDE desktop there should not be any problems.

Thanks for the answers:

1) rename/remove the kwin*rc files in ~/.kde4/share/config (alternately create a new user to see if they have the same problem)
    I see the same problem if I rmove kwin*rc files

2) I'd look at the graphics drivers, are there ones specific to 11.4rc1?
    I am not sure where to look. Currently, sysinfo:/ says under Display Info
    Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Model: 945 GM
    2D driver: intel
    3D driver: Unknown classic (7.10)
    According to linlap, the Tecra A7 has NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300M graphics. Is that the case? I ask because the openSUSE HCL for Laptops confuses me as it suggests the A7 has ATI graphics ... < sigh >
    My Tecra A7 has intel graphics. Desktop effects were working fine in opensuse 11.3 + KDE 4.5 + kernel 2.6.26. Is it possible that changes in the kernel are causing this trouble?

h

I don't know about Intel graphics but with NVIDIA the graphics driver and the Kernel are matched, so it would seem to me you would need to find the Intel driver that was specific for 11.4rc1
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Blog Entries

I am not sure where to look. Currently, sysinfo:/ says under Display Info
    Code:
    Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Model: 945 GM
    2D driver: intel
    3D driver: Unknown classic (7.10)
    My Tecra A7 has intel graphics.
    OK, that illustrates the importance of saying exactly what graphics one's PC has when posting about graphics. The Toshiba Tecra A7 has MANY different graphics available and it is simply impossible for anyone to provide specific suggestions with no further detail.

Desktop effects were working fine in opensuse 11.3 + KDE 4.5 + kernel 2.6.26. Is it possible that changes in the kernel are causing this trouble?
    That is possible. Also 11.4 RC1 has the 2.14.0 Intel driver, while I think 11.3 has only the 2.12.0 Intel driver. Maybe there is a problem with the 2.14.0 with your graphics.

Did you try to see if the intellegacy driver worked any better ? You can do that by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file, changing it to something like:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Default Device"

#Driver "radeon"
      Driver "intellegacy"

## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
      ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
      #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

EndSection
    thats assuming you have the rpm xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy installed. The intellegacy driver is actually the 2.9.1 Intel driver which works better for some users on older hardware.

Before messing around with the above, I recommend you install midnight commander (mc) which is a easy to use editor in a text mode. To use it in a text mode you just type when in a terminal: mc

I have tried intellegacy, but it leads to a very unstable system. The systems fails to boot most of the time (while most and not all, I do not know). It mainly halts when displaying "Firewire ohci " in the boot log.

The funny thing is that, when it manages to boot the desktop effects work fine!

Blog Entries

You could raise a bug report on this then. There is guidance here for raising bug reports: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE and you can use your openSUSE username and password when logging on to bugzilla.

Same problem as here. But Im on 11.4 final release.
    Intel 945 GME
    2D: intel
    3D: Unknow Classic (7.10)