openSUSE 11.4 RC1 - Have you installed it? Did/Do You have Any Issus?

So, I did get the openSUSE 11.4 RC1 DVD installed successfully and I am using it to post this message. I had no problems during the Install.

1. I did notice that I did not get a picture of a SuSE Lizard during any opeSUSE startup, just the progress bar, before you login to openSUSE.
  2. The Partitioner Context menus for editing of a selected partition still do not work. If you select an entire hard drive from the tree on the left, the partition edit commands work at the bottom of the right screen. The problem is the same during the install or after openSUSE 11.4 is installed.

Over all , all seems good, just too bad we lost the SuSE Lizard this time around.

Thank You,

Great! Unfortunately, I did not have similar success. After struggling with increasingly long download times (yes, the estimated time actually increased during the download), I finally got a copy of the -DVD install. Burned, MD5-checked OK, and boot/Media check also OK.

Unfortunately, did not get far enough to boot the installed openSUSE.

The partitioner use during the install was almost unusable. After three attempts, each attempt with multiple sub-attempts at editing, I was able to get the configuration desired for the install. (NOTE: the same configuration procedures used for the last 11.3 and the 11.4 Milestone installs).

When the installer actually started, errors (-3003) kicked out for the Windows/7 partitions. At this point, I stopped, rather than risk the possibility of having to recover Windows.

I went back to the 11.4 Milestone 5 DVD, and checked the partition editor. It was functioning correctly (as was 11.4 and prior versions). It seems that something that was working is now not working. Of course, I did not not have a 11.4 Milestone 6 DVD to compare, but that is another problem.

It seems to me that more than a friendly graphic was lost in the shuffle. I had updated an 11.4 MS6 to RC1 via YAST with success, although still experiencing the annoying “libxml2” dependencies, but that also is another problem. I may try an 11.4 RC1 liveCD next, but frankly, the DVD was quite a disappointment.

I am not overly concerned, as I believe that the 2.6.38 kernel did not make the -RC1 release (although I cannot be certain of such).

SeanMc98 - I want to hug you.

I thought it was just me! I had d/l the dvd iso at work and burnt a DVD at home from the image. The first time I tried to install I had an error on install saying that it was unable to mount one of my windows partitions (NTFS formatted). I carried on and it was a failed install. I thought that it must have been down to a bad dvd burn and tried again. Same result.

So in the need I used the M6 cd and then updated using the RC1 dvd image. That worked fine.

Yup just confirmed it trying out RC1 32-bit KDE Live CD in VirtualBox. I hope Geeko comes back. I like seeing Geeko at the boot splash! :slight_smile:

Where are you guys downloading the DVD from? Mine just stops at 360mb? And then doesn’t move further.

Downloading mine off here:
Index of /opensuse/distribution/11.4-RC1

I think the DVD download took 13 minutes from my Internet connection. Maybe I stole all the and width.

I assume this was on the Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD in your sig ??

The partitioner worked for me. I did not try to change partitions, I simply went to the ‘edit’ and used the tree on the left and it functioned fine in allowing a custom setup.

I did have some sound hiccups, but I have not looked at this since last night. My PC has 2 sound devices, which added a layer of complexity. I did get sound working after about 10 minutes or so of effort (which is rather long for me) but I’m not totally happy with the sound setup. Things have changed in sound in openSUSE and I’ve fallen behind in the necessary techniques. I’m running a high fever and have a bad cough / cold which does not help, so I have not looked at my 11.4 RC1 sandbox PC since last night (32-bit althon-1100 w/1GB RAM, nVidia FX5200, LXDE desktop with 11.4 RC1). I did install latest nVidia proprietary driver for this hardware.

Wow thats fast compared to mine - taking over 3 hours :frowning:

Well, to add to my installation info:

1. It took over an hour to download the DVD from Time Waner Road Runner Cable.
  2. The First DVD that I burnt was bad for some reason and gave me an error halfway through the install with a bad mount.
  3. I burnt a new DVD on a different DVD burner. The MD5 checksum was correct and the check Media request came back good and off course, the second installation to the very same computer worked OK. So, the first DVD I made was bad.
  4. I made a bug report on the Partitioner problem, but not on the missing lizard.

Thank You,

Installed from the live 64bit cd. Did a new install over the M6 stuff - ie. used the same partitioning. No problems. A dvd download normally takes at least 5 hours out here in the sticks.

I downloaded the RC-1 DVD from software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.4 RC 1 using Firefox. It took 14 hours. When I checked the md5sum it did not match. Then I noticed the downloaded file size was 3.5 GB while the site reported 4.7 GB. I am now downloading via torrent which will take even longer.

I installed yesterday opensuse 11.4 RC1 with kde 4.6 factory in my laptop. I had no problems. It is perfect.;):slight_smile:

That’s tortuous – use a console/terminal session.

> cd download_dir
> wget -Nc http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4-RC1/iso/openSUSE-DVD-Build1056-x86_64.iso http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4-RC1/iso/openSUSE-DVD-Build1056-x86_64.iso.md5
> md5sum -c openSUSE-DVD-Build1056-x86_64.iso.md5 

If the download speed is too slow, hit ctrl-c then up-arrow to try again until you get a suitable mirror. I got a couple of really slow ones (and there are still some that have not synced satisfactorily) before I found a fast one. The “-c” in wget means it will take up where it left of after a partial download, but if the connection is poor there can still be bit corruption.

When it comes to downloading a very large file like the DVD ISO. I always…always use the .Meta4 link.
I use either KGet and/or Down Load Them All plugin with Firefox.

Download help - openSUSE

It allows for faster and more reliable downloads including a self-healing feature.

Check it out.

Romanator

Downloaded (~7 hours) and burned DVD - updated M6 -> RC1 on this laptop (Dell D630) without problem. Ran Online Update, which D/Led a few packages. So far, so good.

Then I noticed the GRUB menu still said “Milestone 6 of 6”. Checked /var/log/zypp/history, and no kernel was installed during update. Does RC1 have EXACTLY the same kernel as M6?

Check and compare existing dates with install date.

LOL! I did an IP traceroute on the download, and found long delays and timeouts between my local ISP and the download source (which was at … rit.edu, about 60 miles away as the crow flies). The DVD was MD5 checked twice, and the media check was OK.

I am using the above technique as I write this, and the install is progressing quite quickly, with only one (1) error:

NTFS access -3003: this occurred accessing one of the three (3) windows primary partitions. Windows/7 has a small (150MB) “boot” partition, a much larger “C” partition, and the vendor recovery area. The -3003 occurred on the small “boot” partition only.

Will post back after the install completes. I have never noticed sound during an openSUSE install (liveCD or DVD). Is there supposed to be any sound(s), or might this be worth an openFATE suggestion ? Even an annoying “beep” would be welcome!

On Milestone-6 I had errors during instal that resulted in MS-Windows partitions not showing up in the fstab, and not showing up in the grub boot menu. After install I had to add those via YaST’s features.

Sound during install would be neat, but I believe since the Operating System is not yet installed, it would be asking for too much. You could try an openFATE suggestion, but as noted, my guess is it is not feasible.

For Sound?

I am not 100% sure but check at the bottom of the screen menu before installing. Press any of the function keys listed.

I’m in the middle of an installation.

On 2011-02-11 11:36, ah7013 wrote:
>
> oldcpu;2288813 Wrote:
>> I think the DVD download took 13 minutes from my Internet connection.
>> Maybe I stole all the and width.
>
> Wow thats fast compared to mine - taking over 3 hours :frowning:

Wow that’s fast compared to mine - taking over 12 hours :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)