Thread: KDE 4 Failing to Load

Default KDE 4 Failing to Load

After installing QtCurve 1.8-41 from software.opensuse (I've been playing around with themes), whenever I try to boot my computer, it gets to stage 1 of loading (the less colorful splash screen), and about halfway through loading that, the screen goes black and a box in the top left corner says: "Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation". I'm then taken to failsafe, where I login. When I try to run kdeinit4 from the command line, I get this error:

kdeinit 4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtSvg.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN14QObjectPrivate15checkWindowRoleEv.

I've tried uninstalling through zypper, but it can never find the package I specify.

I'm on 11.3.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE 4 Failing to Load

Rename your .kde4 folder from the command line login with

Code:
    mv .kde4 .kde4-messedup
    Code:
    startx
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for the answer, but it didn't quite work. On "startx", a whole of text flashed across the screen (too fast to see), and I was returned to the screen saying "Could not start kdeinit4".

Blog Entries

It might be useful to see what repos you have configured currently

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Maybe

Code:
    zypper ve
    will restore any package conflict issues that have occurred (an currently breaking the desktop)

Here's the output. I recently had to upgrade the kernel to get virtualbox working (I did it through yast). Sorry if line breaks are in the wrong place. I of course don't have any copy and paste functions on the misbehaving computer, so I had to output the command to a text file, which stuffed up the line breaks.

Code:
    Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): Repository 'KDE:Release:46' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): 

Repository 'Libdvdcss repository' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Repository 'Packman Repository' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Repository 'openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Repository 'openSUSE-11.3-Oss' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Repository 'openSUSE-11.3-Update' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

Loading repository data...

Reading installed packages...

8 Problems:

Problem: compat-wireless-kmp-default-2.6.35_k2.6.34.0_12-5.1.i586 requires kernel(default:drivers_usb_core) = 6faa2c62dac4f41d, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: libQtWebKit4-4.7.1-150.2.i586 requires libqt4-x11 = 4.7.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: kdelibs4-core-4.4.4-2.5.i586 requires libkdecore4 = 4.4.4, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: qt4-qtscript-0.1.0-7.1.i586 requires libqt4 = 4.6.3, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: libstrigi0-0.7.3.99-58.1.i586 requires libqt4 >= 4.7.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: libsoprano4-2.5.63-92.2.i586 requires libqt4 >= 4.7.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: libqt4-sql-4.7.1-150.2.i586 requires libqt4 = 4.7.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: python-kde4-4.4.4-1.5.i586 requires python-sip = 4.10.2, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: compat-wireless-kmp-default-2.6.35_k2.6.34.0_12-5.1.i586 requires kernel(default:drivers_usb_core) = 6faa2c62dac4f41d, but this requirement cannot be provided
      uninstallable providers: kernel-default-2.6.34-12.3.i586[repo-oss]
                       kernel-default-base-2.6.34-12.3.i586[repo-oss]

Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
      downgrade of kernel-default-2.6.34.7-0.7.1.i586 to kernel-default-2.6.34-12.3.i586
      downgrade of preload-kmp-default-1.1_k2.6.34.7_0.7-19.1.11.i586 to preload-kmp-default-1.1_k2.6.34.0_12-18.2.i586

Solution 2: deinstallation of compat-wireless-kmp-default-2.6.35_k2.6.34.0_12-5.1.i586

Solution 3: downgrade of kernel-default-base-2.6.34.7-0.7.1.i586 to kernel-default-base-2.6.34-12.3.i586

Solution 4: break compat-wireless-kmp-default by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/4/s/r/c] (c):
    Also, I have XFCE installed, so is there any way to start that from failsafe?

Thank you.

Blog Entries

The easiest way may be to boot into runlevel 3. Type '3' at grub menu, then it will start up in console mode. Log in at the prompt, and type 'startxfce4'.

You can automate this by editing /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager' (as root). Look for an entry like

Code:
    DEFAULT_WM="startkde"
    Change it to

Code:
    DEFAULT_WM="startxfce4"
    Save the change, then check that /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager also has DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm" set.

Save and start XFCE desktop with

Code:
    init 5

Blog Entries

I recently had to upgrade the kernel to get virtualbox working
    Why? It's just odd.

Boot to yast level 3
    Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More....
    Make sure the repos are enabled and refreshed.
    Then back at the root CLI do

Code:
    zypper dup
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Blog Entries

If that gets you back to a desktop. Then we can start putting the rest of it back together
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Any attempt to refresh or run dup fails, because I don't have an internet connection. I normally use wifi, should I use ethernet at this particular stage?

And also, @deano_ferrari, startxfce4 gives be command not found. But I do have xfce, I know that because I can use it! Oh well.

Yes use a wired connection.