Thread: Suse 11.3 stuck in boot-up, (because of inserted media?)

Default Suse 11.3 stuck in boot-up, (because of inserted media?)

HI

I have SUSE 11.3 on an Acer Aspire 3620 (laptop). When it boots up, it gets stuck and doesn't complete the process. Can't use safe boot either because I can't get past the login- when I type the password, no keystrokes appear, regardless of the key I strike. Here's how I got into this situation and a little more description of the problem.

After my laptop got some nasty bugs that damaged Windows XP so badly that I couldn't use the rescue disk (that I so obediently made per instructions), I bought several linux flavors on Live CD/DVD and decided to go with SUSE. I had been using the Live DVD for about a month and everything worked well so I installed it last weekend (SUSE only -no dual operating system). Everything went well for a couple of days and I even used Yast to get Adobe Flash. Then I plugged in my MP3 Player to recharge it and quirky things started happening. Once, the computer went in to standby and I couldn't get to the login screen - I started pushing all the keys and something worked. That evening I closed the laptop (so it should have gone to suspend) with the MP3 player attached still, and pulled it out, probably as the computer was going through the motions or shortly thereafter. (My player and usb stick suffer no ill consequences if not ejected properly.) Since then I have not been able to boot up. I powered down several times and tried. It seems to start normally with the green screen and little reptile appearing as the monitoring bar grows. Then it goes black, except the cursor's spinning wheel indicating activity. Then comes back to the green screen, with the bar still increasing and nearly making it to completion. Then the black screen and cursor-- forever. Eventually I can hear that the harddrive is no longer spinning. Also, when the black screen appears, there is an error message that says that the configuration settings for Gnome Power Manager were not installed properly, which I highly doubt since I had no trouble in the installation, but maybe that is pointing the right direction to the problem. Anyway, now I am back to Live DVD, so that I can surf for the answer to this problem. Least that works!

Before installing, when I was using SUSE as a live DVD, it sometimes was a little quirky when I inserted the MP3 Player and USB Stick- sometimes wouldn't recognize them, sometimes would, sometimes wouldn't/couldn't unmount. Firefox also would start crashing after alot of use, but I could reboot and things were fine, so I thought this might just be due to the fact that it was Live and not Installed.

I installed it with the default, KDE. I read another post somewhere with a similar problem in which the author says KDE is very bad with inserted media but I wouldn't know if that's true or not. This is the first time I've used linux, apart from a little bit of experience at work. It really has it's ups and downs, when it was working, it was so exciting, when I got hung up so soon, disappointing. The only thing I can think of to do now is reinstall and tip-toe around being extra careful about the quirks when connecting devices. Not very practical though. Thanks for listening to this long story. Will be trying to get it fixed in the evenings after work EST.

PS IF you can bear to read another line. The live DVD I bought was rather badly scratched and scuffed in my opinion. Although there were no installation errors that I could see, would this have had an unknown immeasurable effect that could account for weird behavior? Just a thought.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Suse 11.3 stuck in boot-up, (because of inserted media?)

Hello SarahSarah and welcome to the openSUSE forums. I am sorry to hear of your many problems. I would say that by all means, I would reinstall openSUSE. Further, I think that I might boot from the LiveCD and perhaps run the Partitioner and DELETE ALL partitions on the hard drive first, since you do not wish to keep Windows and it is thought the installation did not work.

Also, a scratch on a Installation CD as bad as you say does not sound good, but without an error message it is hard to say if it has a problem or not. But, I would try to install one more time and if problems come back, you just got to go and get a better openSUSE disk to install from.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Suse 11.3 stuck in boot-up, (because of inserted media?)

There should be a check media option on the install disk this will tell if the media is 100% or not. Scratches are bad. Where did you buy the disk?

Ok thanks guys. I'm going to try reinstall. I assume just go through the same procedure and SUSE takes care of the fact that it is a reinstall. When I installed the first time I told it to wipe out the Windows partition. I clearly recall remember the installer telling me it did and thinking -good riddance to it. I don't know how to even check what partitions I have or how to boot with a partitioner, but I'm assuming Win partitions are gone. And PS, I was able to login in failsafe mode this morning.

I ran the check media and it said check sum ok. FYI - I got the disk from the Linux Store, an online site in Canada. I was going to burn a disk for myself from my dad's computer (mine being down) but things didn't work out. I found out from a checksum program that the files were faulty. I found a site suggesting BitTorrent and tried, but it was incredibly slow, even though I tested the rate first with the site's own little device to do so. (Dad has wireless setup, so maybe that was the problem.) So I started looking to buy one and found the Linux Store pretty quickly. They say proceeds support Linux projects. I'm glad there is such a thing to help people get started, but I was a little disappointed. I ordered a package of popular flavors to try them (which indeed was interesting) but two weren't even liveCD's, so I couldn't try them. They replied to emails I sent, but I still didn't get the disks. Of the others, some came as CD's, some as DVD's, and it was impossible to know beforehand on some distros which is which. My computer can only read DVD (I tried the CD's on another computer.) I was glad that they were flexible enough to send me SUSE (which doesn't come on DVD) as a DVD so I could install it when I made a request (and for a fee). It comes airmail from Canada which takes A LONG TIME to Southern USA, 14 business days. They tell you in advance but all this time you are eagerly waiting to try it. If you know of a better place, I'll try it if things still don't workout here.

And by they way, not to start a new topic here, but the unbuntu disk they sent, used as a LiveDVD, started flaking out. Mint Linux did the same. It did great for a month, but then even if I'd reboot, it would crash the first time I even tried to open a program. No firefox, no calculator, nothing could open. I thought Live disks loaded into your RAM, where any stored files would be written also and therefore the Live disk was unaltered by the computer. Puppy Linux claims you can avoid 100% of viruses because it works that way. I'm not the computer expert but I'm not stupid either, and I can't see how this could have happened. The SUSE disk wasn't completely immune to flakeyness either! I'd better hurry up and get to reinstalling!!! :-)

On 02/12/2011 10:36 AM, SarahSarah wrote:
    >
    > And by they way, not to start a new topic here, but the unbuntu disk
    > they sent, used as a LiveDVD, started flaking out. Mint Linux did the
    > same. It did great for a month, but then even if I'd reboot, it would
    > crash the first time I even tried to open a program. No firefox, no
    > calculator, nothing could open. I thought Live disks loaded into your
    > RAM, where any stored files would be written also and therefore the Live
    > disk was unaltered by the computer. Puppy Linux claims you can avoid
    > 100% of viruses because it works that way. I'm not the computer expert
    > but I'm not stupid either, and I can't see how this could have happened.
    > The SUSE disk wasn't completely immune to flakeyness either! I'd better
    > hurry up and get to reinstalling!!! :-)

Either the store from which you got your CDs is using really bad media that
    degrade very quickly, or your optical drive is failing. In other words, faulty
    reads of the CD are the only explanation for a Live CD that used to work but now
    fails.

You are correct in that a Live CD gets everything from the CD and writes nothing
    to the hard drive. For example, I use a Live CD to test the hardware in my
    wife's computer whenever she has problems. She is extremely Linux phobic and
    would never allow me to install anything on her system.

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that in the future.