Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Screen of Death at boot

Default Grey Screen of Death at boot

Downloaded the 11.3 .iso from the open Suse web page, installed quite ok on my Toshiba T110 laptop with Win7 Pro, 4 k ram. Gave the warning that I read about here that Grub was installed above 128k, but this was not an issue as far as I am concerned.

Did a Yast update, part of which included a new kernel.

Rebooted, Grub comes up, select Suse, a couple of lines of dialogue flash on and of the screen, and now, despite previous successful boots before the Yast upgrade, the screen then hangs in the GSOD (grey screen of death). Laptop not responsive to any action at all except pushing the power off button.

Any way to get Suse to boot beyond the GSOD? Win7 boots ok from Grub.

(Apologies if this issue covered before, my search for this may have overlooked same.)

Default Re: Grey Screen of Death at boot

Hi
    Are you able to boot into failsafe mode? (you can select this from Grub, its usually right below the "Suse" line)

Welcome to the forums!
    Desktop| opensuse11.3| Core2Q Q9450 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Server| Arch | mythtv 024 | Core2D E7500| nVidia GT210
    HTPC| opensuse11.3 | mythtv 024| Atom 330 | ASUS AT3IONT-I Deluxe | nVidia ION
    Laptop| System76 | opensuse11.3| Core2D P8600 | nVidia 9300M

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Grey Screen of Death at boot

Downloaded the 11.3 .iso from the open Suse web page, installed quite ok on my Toshiba T110 laptop with Win7 Pro, 4 k ram. Gave the warning that I read about here that Grub was installed above 128k, but this was not an issue as far as I am concerned.

Rebooted, Grub comes up, select Suse, a couple of lines of dialogue flash on and of the screen, and now, despite previous successful boots before the Yast upgrade, the screen then hangs in the GSOD (grey screen of death). Laptop not responsive to any action at all except pushing the power off button.

Any way to get Suse to boot beyond the GSOD? Win7 boots ok from Grub.

(Apologies if this issue covered before, my search for this may have overlooked same.)
    You might need to add the kernel load option called nomodeset. When you start or restart openSUSE and you are in the Grub OS selection menu, file named /boot/grub/menu.lst, you have the option to enter a command before you press the enter key. Now you can try failsafe just as pimanac has suggested, and it already includes the nomodeset option, but you want to use as few failsafe options as possible and this one change (adding in nomodeset) works a lot of the time. You may also want to describe your video hardware setup on this PC.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Also what is the video on that machine

If you don't know details of the graphic chipset/card you can post results (in code tags) of running this command in a terminal as root (su -):
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    The first few lines including graphics devices will do.

Quote Originally Posted by pimanac View Post
    Hi
    Are you able to boot into failsafe mode? (you can select this from Grub, its usually right below the "Suse" line)

Welcome to the forums!
    Thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately failsafe fails.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    If you don't know details of the graphic chipset/card you can post results (in code tags) of running this command in a terminal as root (su -):
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    The first few lines including graphics devices will do.
    Err .. wish I could get ito a terminal, howver Device Manager in Win 7 shows the Display Adapter as "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family"

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You might need to add the kernel load option called nomodeset. When you start or restart openSUSE and you are in the Grub OS selection menu, file named /boot/grub/menu.lst, you have the option to enter a command before you press the enter key. Now you can try failsafe just as pimanac has suggested, and it already includes the nomodeset option, but you want to use as few failsafe options as possible and this one change (adding in nomodeset) works a lot of the time. You may also want to describe your video hardware setup on this PC.

Thank You,
    Thank you (and everybody) for the help.

The argument nomodeset is already in Failsafe boot line by default. Failsafe also does not work.

Windows device manager describes the display adapter as ""Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family"

Try booting into runlevel 3. Specify 3 as the boot option just like You did with nomodset. If it is successful please use the already mentioned lspci -nnk command.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John_Phillips View Post
    Err .. wish I could get ito a terminal, howver Device Manager in Win 7 shows the Display Adapter as "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family"
    Ok. Try what @glistwan suggested.

Several forum users have that same intel chipset working on 11.3, including me. I note from your op the following:
    Was that an official kernel update from openSUSE's Update repo, or did you manually upgrade the kernel from another repo? What kernel level are you booting with (see grub menu)?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast