Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

  1. #1

    Default Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    Hi all,

    I am losing hair with this..... New install of Opensuse 11.3 on Tosh Satellite Pro L40 -
    Reports hardware switch is off (I can see that the driver is loaded so thats OK)

    rfkill reports -
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: yes

    The switch is definitely on (and rfkill unblock doesn't fix it)....

    Thoughts?
    Suggestion?
    Valium?

    If it's any help at all (and way out of my depth here....) a quick flick through the dmesg logs finds a load of references to asus_laptop inc rfkilkl module) -
    dmesg | grep asus_laptop
    [ 9.252219] asus_laptop: Asus Laptop Support version 0.42
    [ 9.258378] asus_laptop: T20 model detected
    [ 9.258819] asus_laptop: Backlight controlled by ACPI video driver
    [ 9.258884] input: Asus Laptop extra buttons as /devices/platform/asus_laptop/input/input8
    [ 1674.932618] Modules linked in: nls_utf8 usb_storage nfs lockd fscache nfs_acl auth_rpcgss sunrpc vmsync vmblock edd st snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc ppdev parport_pc lp parport ip6t_REJECT ip6t_LOG nf_conntrack_ipv6 ip6table_raw xt_NOTRACK ipt_REJECT xt_tcpudp xt_pkttype ipt_LOG xt_limit xt_state iptable_raw ip6table_mangle nf_conntrack_netbios_ns nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv4 ip6table_filter ip6_tables af_packet iptable_filter ip_tables x_tables fuse loop dm_mod arc4 ecb rtl8187 mac80211 8139too sr_mod cfg80211 asus_laptop eeprom_93cx6 cdrom 8139cp sg pcspkr joydev sparse_keymap serio_raw battery ac iTCO_wdt iTCO_vendor_support rfkill ext4 jbd2 crc16 ata_generic ata_piix sd_mod uhci_hcd i915 drm_kms_helper ahci ehci_hcd rtc_cmos rtc_core drm i2c_algo_bit rtc_lib i2c_core video intel_agp libata button scsi_mod usbcore output fan thermal processor thermal_sys hwmon [last unloaded: preloadtrace]

    (This of course could be a red herring...... I at no point claim to be an expert in well.... anything really!!!!)

    Thanks
    Bryn Jones

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    On 02/06/2011 01:06 PM, brynjones wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am losing hair with this..... New install of Opensuse 11.3 on Tosh
    > Satellite Pro L40 -
    > Reports hardware switch is off (I can see that the driver is loaded so
    > thats OK)
    >
    > rfkill reports -
    > 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    > Soft blocked: no
    > Hard blocked: yes
    >
    > The switch is definitely on (and rfkill unblock doesn't fix it)....
    >
    > Thoughts?
    > Suggestion?
    > Valium?
    >
    > If it's any help at all (and way out of my depth here....) a quick
    > flick through the dmesg logs finds a load of references to asus_laptop
    > inc rfkilkl module) -
    > dmesg | grep asus_laptop
    > [ 9.252219] asus_laptop: Asus Laptop Support version 0.42
    > [ 9.258378] asus_laptop: T20 model detected
    > [ 9.258819] asus_laptop: Backlight controlled by ACPI video driver
    > [ 9.258884] input: Asus Laptop extra buttons as
    > /devices/platform/asus_laptop/input/input8
    > [ 1674.932618] Modules linked in: nls_utf8 usb_storage nfs lockd
    > fscache nfs_acl auth_rpcgss sunrpc vmsync vmblock edd st snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_mixer_oss snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel
    > snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc
    > ppdev parport_pc lp parport ip6t_REJECT ip6t_LOG nf_conntrack_ipv6
    > ip6table_raw xt_NOTRACK ipt_REJECT xt_tcpudp xt_pkttype ipt_LOG xt_limit
    > xt_state iptable_raw ip6table_mangle nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
    > nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv4 ip6table_filter ip6_tables
    > af_packet iptable_filter ip_tables x_tables fuse loop dm_mod arc4 ecb
    > rtl8187 mac80211 8139too sr_mod cfg80211 asus_laptop eeprom_93cx6 cdrom
    > 8139cp sg pcspkr joydev sparse_keymap serio_raw battery ac iTCO_wdt
    > iTCO_vendor_support rfkill ext4 jbd2 crc16 ata_generic ata_piix sd_mod
    > uhci_hcd i915 drm_kms_helper ahci ehci_hcd rtc_cmos rtc_core drm
    > i2c_algo_bit rtc_lib i2c_core video intel_agp libata button scsi_mod
    > usbcore output fan thermal processor thermal_sys hwmon [last unloaded:
    > preloadtrace]
    >
    > (This of course could be a red herring...... I at no point claim to be
    > an expert in well.... anything really!!!!)


    It is not a red herring. A hard block will block every radio.

    Is the radio on/off switch a toggle/slider, or is it a button. If the former, it
    should be following the position. Most of the buttons need help from a special
    wmi (Windows Management Interface) routine to follow the button pushes. I have
    no idea what Toshiba needs.

    I have had a suspician on some systems that the initialization is not correct.
    Does the following sequence help?

    [code]
    sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv rtl8187
    sudo /sbin/modprobe -v rtl8187
    [/code/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    Nope doesn't affect it (the red herring I was alluding to is the asus_laptop stuff (basically that its assigning the 'wrong' hw switch if that makes sense...)).

    It has both a toggle switch and a function key assigned to wifi (fn+f8) if that helps!.... The light on the toggle switch is amber which might mean off (guessing that green is on....)

    Thanks
    Bryn

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    On 02/06/2011 02:36 PM, brynjones wrote:
    >
    > Nope doesn't affect it (the red herring I was alluding to is the
    > asus_laptop stuff (basically that its assigning the 'wrong' hw switch if
    > that makes sense...)).
    >
    > It has both a toggle switch and a function key assigned to wifi (fn+f8)
    > if that helps!.... The light on the toggle switch is amber which might
    > mean off (guessing that green is on....)


    You are going to need to inquire on a Toshiba site how to enable that wireless.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    Hi,
    Ummm its pretty simple.... switch left 'on' switch right 'off'..... It worked fine under Fedora....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,235

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    On 02/07/2011 04:06 AM, brynjones wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    > Ummm its pretty simple.... switch left 'on' switch right 'off'..... It
    > worked fine under Fedora....


    If you don't see messages in the dmesg output about that switch being moved,
    then the driver is not seeing that. My main concern is the Fn key that you
    mentioned earlier.

    What kernel was in your Fedora installation? Older kernels did not pay any
    attention to the rfkill switch.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Toshiba l40 RTL8187 RFKILL Hard Blocked

    Not sure which kernel it was (a recent one I only downloaded it and installed it the other day.....)

    There's no dmesg output from the f8 key either btw....

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •