Thread: Photo manager that does videos with HTML Export and xine/codec issues with video from my camera

Default Photo manager that does videos with HTML Export and xine/codec issues with video from my camera

Some background...
    I've been away from Linux (openSUSE in particular) and I'm trying to get more into it. I've been posting photos on my own server for friends and familly and videos is a big thing. The camera I got is a Canon that does high-def in a movie file. Mediainfo states it is Quicktime, uses Advance Video Codec for video and PCM for audio. In Windows, Quicktime actually has a hard time playing this. Using the Divx Player, there is no problem playing it using the Haali media splitter in XP. Windows 7 splits Quicktime by default, but WMP still doesn't play these files.

I take these videos and use Handbrake to make them mkv files, H.246 and mp3. For example, one of these MOV that is 34secs long is 105m. The mkv @ 3072kbps is 14mb and can't see any difference.

Moving on, Picasa on Windows will export these to HTML along with the pictures (though I modify the resulting html file for the video) and thumbnails them. Picasa in Linux (the default or under wine with the latest win ver) does not export. I don't want to use vmware for the sole purpose of this. Digikam exports pictures very nicely, but does not recognize either video format. I can create the HTML files, but takes extra work. With codecs installed, kaffeine plays the mkv just fine. It will do older MOV files, but won't do the MOV files from my camera very well at all. The bottom half of the video gets screwed up. This seems to me like a xine problem. Digikam crashes when I click on one of these big MOV files. Dolphin can crash on these hitting play on the preview pane. Adding mkv as a MINE type in digikam and there is no problem and MKVs are no problem in Dolphin.

Totem and VLC do great with these new MOV files. In fact, under Gnome, there is no problem in Nautilus with these. The problem under Gnome is that F-Spot doesn't recognize videos and I have to use digikam (which I prefer) but then there is the xine backend to that and digikam crashes on these MOV files.

So, my main questions are...
    Is there a way to have digikam export videos to HTML like it does with photos?
    Does a newer version do it? (1.2.0 with 11.3 is far behind and latest digikam is 1.0.8 but upgrading digikam and the kipi plugins is difficult)
    Is there another app that will export pictures and videos to HTML (nice layout like digikam), be it under Gnome or KDE?

Is there a way to get digikam/xine/Dolphin to work without problems with these types of MOV files?

Thanks (and sorry if I was a little long on the background part)

Default Re: Photo manager that does videos with HTML Export and xine/codec issues with video from my camera

"upgrading digikam and the kipi plugins is difficult" - I don't understand the difficulty, all you need to do is add the playground repo for your version of KDE and you can have Digikam2 1.9.9.2, there's also digikam 1.8 available. What version of KDE are you running? If your running KDE4.4, which is what was distributed with 11.3 and never upgraded KDE that might be your problem (probaly is as I can't fine Digikam2 for kde 4.4). Of course no idea if the newer versions of Digikam will solve your problem.

No idea about what you attempting but have you looked at openshot (or other video editors)? OpenShot Video Editor: Export HTML5 WebM Video Format! Learn OpenShot in 5 Minutes!
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Default Re: Photo manager that does videos with HTML Export and xine/codec issues with video from my camera

Thanks. I'm attempting to create easily browseable photo/video galleries for familly on my web server. My dad din't like having to buy photos from services like Google's web albums. My parents live far away and this gives them a chance to visually see how their grandkids are doing. Videos are a big part of that like my 3 year-old daughter blowing out her candles on her birthday cake.

I did stick with the KDE that came with 11.3 (4.4.4 release 3) and kinda would like to for stability issues. I'm mostly testing on some free laptops I got from work. 2 Dell D610s (2GHz, 2GB DDR2, intel integrated vid) and a D600 (2GHz, 2GB DDR, 32mb ATI). Plan is to give one to my son for educational use (websites and other linux only edu-soft). They work much better, especially with videos on the 610s, than Windows XP or 7.

I did remember about the phonon backends, installed the gstreamer and 'perfered' that and the preview in Dolphin and digikam are working good. No bad bottom half of the video. The crashing in digikam was when previewing the MOV video and hitting back/forward to and from that video. With phonon-gstreamer there is no problem now. I was a fan of kaffeine, but totem works well especially playing videos from a non-mounted windows share (smb://server/share). Both VLC and kaffeine error about no plugin to handle it and I prefer not to mount samba shares all the time.

as that KDE stable is now 4.6 upping to 4.5.x should be safe (and have lots fewer bugs), of course I'm personally doing fine with 4.6

if you wish to test 4.5.5 with a livecd "KDE Four Live" and "KDE Reloaded" CD images is based on openSuse
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Blog Entries

When you say "export video to HTML" that creates a disconnect in my mind... Because HTML itself is text only code, it doesn't really tightly integrate with video but can describe a web page, and on that web page you can embed code that describes a container that is capable of displaying non-HTML data like pictures and video.

Also, I see that your main target platform seems to be a webserver, not some other method like email attachment or DVD.

If that's the case, then I think you're overlooking your simplest solution...

It starts with understanding that for HTML to display non-text data like pictures and video, the HTML will invoke a non-HTML plugin (extension) container. If you look at the source of your existing web pages, you should be able to find the specific "container" code very easily, it will be between two HTML tags <something> and </something>. Copy everything between those tags for future use.

Now, go create any kind of webpage you want using any kind of web dev tool you want. Dress it up any way you want.
    Take the code your copied from your earlier webpage and paste it into your webpage, location will determine how it displays in your webpage.
    Change the specific video name in your copied code to match the name of your new video.
    If necessary, upload your webpage (some web technologies allow you to create the page right in the website and don't require uploading).
    Upload your video.

If you've done everything right, you'll be golden. No special software needed, once you find something that "just works" on your website, it'll be the cookie cutter for everything thereafter, no need for special exporting software.

BTW - If you're really set on deploying MKV videos embedded in HTML using the DivX plugin, here is a code generator, it should do at least 50% of everything I described above.
    How to Embed DivX & .Mkv Videos on Webpages

HTH,
    Tony