Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed Kernel Updates, now get error when mounting USB stick. Why?

Default Installed Kernel Updates, now get error when mounting USB stick. Why?

This has happened before and I'm just curious as to why and whether I can do something besides restart. Basically it's this:

1. I click the Updater applet and choose to install the new updates (one is a kernel security update)
    2. After update is installed, at some point I plug a device into USB
    3. I get the error: "An error occurred while accessing 'Device_Name', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFilesystemType: Unknown file system 'vfat'

The device normally works and if I restart it should fix it, but my question is why is that necessary?

(See this post from some other person with same issue)
    [SOLVED] mount: unknown filesystem type 'vfat'

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installed Kernel Updates, now get error when mounting USB stick. Why?

Did you reboot?
    Or are you asking why you need to reboot after the kernel update
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Installed Kernel Updates, now get error when mounting USB stick. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Or are you asking why you need to reboot after the kernel update
    No, my question is why a kernel security update makes a USB stick unusable without rebooting first. What does one have to do with the other? The only thing that appears to be affected is USB mounting. I can still use my computer without a reboot after installing kernel updates, so why can't I pop in a USB stick?

Blog Entries

A kernel update replaces other things with new versions that are tied to the new kernel.

The USB mount is probably using something that is tied to the kernel, but you are still running the old kernel while it thinks you are running the new kernel.

Roughly speaking, after a kernel update your system is in a somewhat inconsistent state until you have rebooted.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

hi,
    I have the same problem. After the update and numerous reboots it still doesn't allow access to my USB harddrive. MY error message reads;

"org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Requested filesystem type is neither well-known nor in /proc/filesystems nor in /etc/filesystems".
    What else can be done?

Thanks,
    Ron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danorske View Post
    hi,
    I have the same problem. After the update and numerous reboots it still doesn't allow access to my USB harddrive. MY error message reads;

"org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed: Requested filesystem type is neither well-known nor in /proc/filesystems nor in /etc/filesystems".
    What else can be done?

Thanks,
    Ron
    All good here
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

This is a known issue here in KDE.
    The workaround is to add "ntfs" to /etc/filesystems. It should work fine after that.

This is at least the third thread on this problem. Seems serious enough to me that at least one of you files a bug: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    This is at least the third thread on this problem. Seems serious enough to me that at least one of you files a bug: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Sorry I didn't read the first poster question properly.
    For me it was ntfs returning the error for first poster it was vfat.
    Poster could check the filesystem config file:
    Mine looks like this:
    Code:
    ntfs
    vfat
    hfs
    minix
    reiserfs
    /etc/filesystems lines 1-6/6 (END)

Once you know what to do almost every problem is easily solved. But the fact that within 24 hours at least three people came here because that "easy" solution wasn't seen by them immediatly, shows it is not that easy. It simply shouldn't have happened imho (but bugs do occur of course). And as soon as this is solved upstream we may spare many thousands of users searching here and elsewhere for this "easy" (but not obvious to most) solution.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast