Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Flash "kill" your processor?

Default Can Flash "kill" your processor?

I think that Flash might have killed my poor SuSE computer.
    It worked nicely until 1/22/11. My son-in-law was using it on Facebook, playing those stupid Flash games. Whenever Flash is used, I've noticed that a fan goes at full speed (I don't know, but I guess that my graphics card has it's own fan -- or is the fan at full speed sound from the processor?) This went on for a few hours. Anyway, now the computer won't boot. No text, no display, no anything, just a constant sound like an alarm (kinda as if a key is stuck but it isn't - I've checked that). I can't even get into the bios (by hitting F2).
    Now I must wait until my husband can take the computer apart to see what hardware must have failed.

So, my question is: Does anyone else notice that when Flash is used, does their computer's fans go at full speed too? If so, are there any settings that should be used to make Flash not use so much processing power?
    btw, I did look for quality settings like I've seen on the Windows version but I didn't see that. It was always at high quality.

My system:
    openSUSE 11.2 (i586)
    2.6.31.14-0.4-desktop kernel (it has been updated since but I can't get at that info right now)
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz dual core
    3.4 GiB ram
    Nvidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] video card

Default Re: Can Flash "kill" your processor?

A fan might have died. Flash is both memory and CPU intensive so if there is inadequate cooling a processor can overheat. But the BIOS should shut it down before damage occurs. You may be hearing what is called the post code. The single beep that most machines issue on startup indicates all is well. If you hear multiple beeps it is a code that indicate that the BIOS has found something wrong. Flash in a properly cooled machine should be no problem.

gogalthorp wrote:
    > You may be hearing what is
    > called the post code. The single beep that most machines issue on
    > startup indicates all is well. If you hear multiple beeps it is a code
    > that indicate that the BIOS has found something wrong.

There are typically several different possible sounds and probably in
    your BIOS manual it explains exactly what problem the BIOS thinks there
    is (faulty fan, bad RAM etc).

What about the fan itself having to go at full speed for hours? Isn't there a setting for Flash to not use so much memory and/or CPU power?

Default Re : Re: Can Flash "kill" your processor?

Hi,

Not that I know of for my part, nothing really helpful.

Well that should not hurt the fan if it is in good shape. Thing is the fans are mechanical devices and they do go bad. I've replaced the CPU fan in this machine twice. The quality of cpu coolers vary wildly. Often fans that come with a system are cheap low quality.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnart View Post
    What about the fan itself having to go at full speed for hours? Isn't there a setting for Flash to not use so much memory and/or CPU power?
    Modern games can put a big load constantly on a machine, and gamers tend to do that for hours and hours at a stretch. Even without games, Flash is heavy on resources, relatively speaking. Is it a desktop or laptop? It sounds like a desktop pc. With laptops it can be worse with discrete graphics cards with regard to overheating.

Fans in constant use wear out more quickly, and can fail. There is usually a fan on the CPU, another built into the power supply box, and either a fan or a heat sink on the GPU of the separate graphics card. The fans usually come on at certain temperatures, cool the components, and turn off only when the temperatures fall below a preset level.

I'm not aware of any settings to limit Flash's demand for resources. It's up to the driver (the human being).

Thanks guys!
    These things are good to know. I'll have to demand that Flash games not be played for so long on my precious SuSE when it gets fixed.
    The fans (and CPU, etc.) on my old (Gateway) Winders XP seem to be of very good quality. They seem to be hardly affected at all when Flash games are played for loong periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnart View Post
    Anyway, now the computer won't boot. No text, no display, no anything, just a constant sound like an alarm (kinda as if a key is stuck but it isn't - I've checked that). I can't even get into the bios (by hitting F2).
    Now I must wait until my husband can take the computer apart to see what hardware must have failed.
    In the meantime you might try to learn what those beeps mean. Go to BIOS Beep Codes and see if you can identify the problem by counting the beeps. It might only be a loose memory chip or a keyboard cable not fully plugged in. If you can't get into the bios, you might try another keyboard just to see.

Good luck.

Thanks! I'll bookmark that page.
    Yeah, the beep is one looong continuous beep that does not stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast