Thread: Can't install Virtualbox

Default Can't install Virtualbox

I've been having problem after problem trying to install virtualbox 4.0.2, on 32 bit opensuse 11.3. I've been able to jump over a few hurdles by installing the kernel source. But now I get this error when starting virtualbox from the command line:

Code:
    WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
             available for the current kernel (2.6.34-12-default) or it failed to
             load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup                                                                                                                                           

You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
    True to it's word, virtualbox starts up, but I can run any virtual machines (namely my XP guest).

Next, when I run the above setup, I get this:
    Code:
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                                                                                                                       done       
    Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                                                                                                                          done       
    Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS                                                                                                                         
    Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.34-12-default cannot be found at                                                                                                          
    /lib/modules/2.6.34-12-default/build or /lib/modules/2.6.34-12-default/source.                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                                                             failed     
      (Failed, trying without DKMS)                                                                                                                                                     
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                                                                                                                                    failed     
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
    And the contents of vbox-install.log are:
    Code:
    Uninstalling modules from DKMS
      removing old DKMS module vboxhost version  4.0.2

------------------------------
    Deleting module version: 4.0.2
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ------------------------------
    Done.
    Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/4.0.2/source ->
                     /usr/src/vboxhost-4.0.2

DKMS: add Completed.
    You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.
    Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
    Makefile:170: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
    Makefile:178: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.34.7-12-default) does not match the current kernel (version 2.6.34-12-default).  Stop.
    Please help!
    Thanks heaps, Matt.

Default Re: Can't install Virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by matACCADACCA View Post
    DKMS: add Completed.
    You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.
    Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
    Makefile:170: Warning: using /usr/src/linux as the source directory of your Linux kernel. If this is not correct, specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again.
    Makefile:178: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version 2.6.34.7-12-default) does not match the current kernel (version 2.6.34-12-default). Stop.
    [/CODE]
    The log explains the problem. The best thing to do is to update the kernel and sources first (which should be 2.6.34.7-0.7), reboot and run service vboxdrv setup again.

You might also have a look at this thread http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...box-4-0-a.html on how to install the extension pack for VirtualBox 4.x if you need it (although it is unrelated with your present problem).