Thread: Cannot shutdown or restart laptop from KDE, and when I try to log into Gnome I get a white screen.

Jworix NNTP User

Default Cannot shutdown or restart laptop from KDE, and when I try to log into Gnome I get a white screen.

I had my netbook which is an Acer AspireOne lock up on me once earlier today and after doing a hard shutdown *holding the power button* and booting it back up I noticed that I could no longer reboot the machine from KDE's graphical shutdown button. Basically I click it and it pops up with the 30 second count down and then nothing. However I can run as root,

Code:
    Shutdown -r now
    and it will comply and reboot. I did notice that rngd was returning an exit status 1 and after some research decided to uninstall it with no change to anything.

I decided to attempt and see if it was just a KDE issue as many problems have been, but when I attempted to log into Gnome I got a very nice white screen with one black line where the taskbar should be. Whether they are related or just coincidence I don't know.

I've ran my google researching skills into the ground on this one and I'm tired and a bit grumpy because I haven't been sleeping so it'd be awesome if I could get a heads up, because to my knowledge it's not reporting any errors it just seems to hang without sending the shutdown signals.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Jworix NNTP User

Default Re: Cannot shutdown or restart laptop from KDE, and when I try to log into Gnome I get a white scree

Hate to reply to my own threat but I for some reason don't see an edit button....Anyway problem was with KDE (of course) and so I' had all I can take from it. Since I switched to KDE it's been one bug after another. My audio becomes intermittent, then strange graphics appear on my taskbar and finally it fails to shutdown correctly. So I killed it with fire and I doubt I'll attempt to use it again for a long time. If Gnome were just a bit more visually appealing I'd have 0 complaints.

Thanks again,
    James