Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Help with Suse Studio

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8

    Default Help with Suse Studio

    Not sure if this is the right place to post, if not let me know where.

    I am trying to use the Suse Studios to put together a very slim web browser.
    I built with minimal and Gnome desktop and can't seem to get Chromium to work.
    We have a high speed cable connection so I used DCHP
    What are the bare minimums I need on a:

    Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz w/ 1G DDR ram
    vga controller intel 82845G
    ethernet card intel 82540EM

    to run Chromium and VLC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,503
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    Hi
    Moving to the SUSE Studio Forum, will follow soon.

    nntp users please wait until the move is completed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    What do you mean by you can't get Chromium to work? Does it install?
    Does it launch and just fail on certain pages? Can you get it to install
    on a system of your own outside of SUSE Studio? If it fails to launch
    what errors do you see? Same with VLC.

    Seeing a package's dependencies is pretty easy even before it is installed:

    rpm -q --requires -p /path/to/google-chrome-stable-blahblah.rpm

    Good luck.





    On 01/25/2011 05:06 PM, sleven wrote:
    >
    > Not sure if this is the right place to post, if not let me know where.
    >
    > I am trying to use the Suse Studios to put together a very slim web
    > browser.
    > I built with minimal and Gnome desktop and can't seem to get Chromium
    > to work.
    > We have a high speed cable connection so I used DCHP
    > What are the bare minimums I need on a:
    >
    > Intel Celeron 1.8 GHz w/ 1G DDR ram
    > vga controller intel 82845G
    > ethernet card intel 82540EM
    >
    > to run Chromium and VLC
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNP2mmAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5oDQP/2pwiiUExyPopC+ca92ZZJyH
    6JPY0cQr+cWg8jfHMbyQblfd4CXF79qXeB1hz9qpsv3nerbz6qCzVhY4Bhehpmvr
    gBjoeHhgBBcI2FXa7uTL75dke6TlyJp7b7OWig/alWJjDiAn3T9IABsHdJLaUyUL
    5M32fgCLWdGcb4+GkeIpVkWmN11GBgz1Ez8A7Y6P9cqe/nP3pftxSIGjHsYUARqW
    QWAbjf/iMI8wuv28WPhEhJDJNswwdSpsZgoLoboGPEv9JVjFOGDvurkD7ArBhgWF
    OdjtmzgAr+FNsVu2Nl2Zj4sGf6tAgsqEptL5AYFRXZ83ehDbqPWL7R+gTFZUIxpV
    FxBGLeo//qQJ4d71my0hBBE4anDZhLnt6PXKyOJH01GG7spAsfO5Ruu6zfVLcZaa
    JBDCtvs3q/H9SA9HesMHFJeVg8u5n7Ua5GTz3ADPiq6Ha62CuyeSBLx86YxvDF8E
    ma4qDDQNwD/PC+MvcBzKBtXvmY0nu4/Ry2QVoKCzyxm68sGedLShmWnjCsjhmn+i
    NL0fpSmWpbG6N8OO/Dkh2Zo7r4tVDdyN3jR85i60vCSxEJ7sU1F/Pff0DwTLUrL7
    3ndMEfBcSd7Shqy5FPhluf80k4a9XdumHFKVb8soSg7jBxKAg9oWPTcDiAU8pBnI
    oINFDBN2jMpphICMzcwl
    =LsS6
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,503
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    Hi
    Thread now moved
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    In the test drive, no matter how I configure it, it fails to launch. Click the icon, it appears to be loading and then nothing.

    VLC is working.

    My room mate has an older machine in which no matter what I try,streaming web videos are jerky.
    We have tried Debian xfce, Ubuntu xfce, Mint 9, Mint 10, Mint xfce and the videos do the same thing. Thought I would get away from the Debian based distro and see what happens.

    We have high speed internet service, and the streaming downloads on his machine just as fast as it does on mine. Watching on mine it looks as good as a dvd, on his it appears to be a series of still shots flickering at about a one per second. I was hoping to be able to put together a very minimal distro, all he does is get on the net to watch videos or watches movies, nothing more. He has no interest in any thing else.

    I was wondering what the least amount of packages I could install in Gnome and get away with this, in hopes that a slimline distro would clear up the streaming issues.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Whenever something doesn't load properly (regardless of distribution or
    OS) try to load it from the command line to see if there is anything
    obvious being displayed.

    Good luck.





    On 01/26/2011 02:36 AM, sleven wrote:
    >
    > In the test drive, no matter how I configure it, it fails to launch.
    > Click the icon, it appears to be loading and then nothing.
    >
    > VLC is working.
    >
    > My room mate has an older machine in which no matter what I
    > try,streaming web videos are jerky.
    > We have tried Debian xfce, Ubuntu xfce, Mint 9, Mint 10, Mint xfce and
    > the videos do the same thing. Thought I would get away from the Debian
    > based distro and see what happens.
    >
    > We have high speed internet service, and the streaming downloads on
    > his machine just as fast as it does on mine. Watching on mine it looks
    > as good as a dvd, on his it appears to be a series of still shots
    > flickering at about a one per second. I was hoping to be able to put
    > together a very minimal distro, all he does is get on the net to watch
    > videos or watches movies, nothing more. He has no interest in any thing
    > else.
    >
    > I was wondering what the least amount of packages I could install in
    > Gnome and get away with this, in hopes that a slimline distro would
    > clear up the streaming issues.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNQCL6AAoJEF+XTK08PnB5l48P/1wmO2g8csAw56oxjE2OikgK
    AotB/hGoqhVQR1pXEqOPclswDSlPsuetB+yBmmSwtvmUX5jL+Jr/LfltN/l8gSwC
    /UC37PKnJzxnn4Gs75dfIxbnkRfW6PjcwwDccPLmIL7m1yum6XC+0fLkR3tvT6cz
    N5vmclJzC7kZ1dCSpNpWF8FzK+seopwILbPVU9hu3JjMXXO/jPBoi7lrJzH6kDTL
    S6KdZrPkYrsmKtzmP6Aj12kWkmaH7uUOXq7qoKKngoVxUnk1GmfpLjwK3lrrHL2s
    ojqGWtu1Zt3P+DXHnA489eNs+XpHFaws/ImLhS74BRqEy8z/jsnHuwWNzlKXvhiG
    Pu6YasgyemYwThdYubrRPtqsTvqJ+gRjTABPBhfWxLTKejIsrRL6x4rksRX+kpKK
    MaU5S/eyeD2q84i6ZsXmPMptkc4WwlkIPocboipar6jza36fnrRa1IHhR9OPV1m/
    m6+gVXODHoeHyhUEXaQ0kVUq8rxmkM8lUywhORIk3Hx5rV54nOYu5+5e6ZuI67Vu
    I7I70+NruyHRfGOQ4gnimewIMoJkVjUUMyGoMcL8Lw9RRAcxnp9mSu/QUp7INhXP
    WyAB2Odc3l2wm7eAJZuwRydNokt8fusf15hxbPajo0czpkQBaEt4UXriA0kpjOwu
    26H4L3hCTGHxBaC7FCWn
    =YQ5r
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    I also tried that, same results.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    No output at all? That's surprising. Not sure what else to do without
    getting serious with tools like strace. These are what my system shows as
    requirements for google-chrome-stable:

    lsb >= 3.2
    libasound.so.2()(64bit)
    libcairo.so.2()(64bit)
    libgconf-2.so.4()(64bit)
    libnss3.so(NSS_3.12.3)(64bit)
    libpangocairo-1.0.so.0()(64bit)
    libsqlite3.so.0()(64bit)
    libbz2.so.1()(64bit)
    libXss.so.1()(64bit)
    libjpeg.so.62()(64bit)
    wget
    xdg-utils
    zlib

    You could do a quick check to verify something provides all of these:

    rpm -q --requires google-chrome-stable | awk '{print $1}' | xargs rpm -q
    - --whatprovides

    Good luck.





    On 01/26/2011 08:06 AM, sleven wrote:
    >
    > I also tried that, same results.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNQD9mAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5fQsP/iAjfLtOzKkjwfyrhCABH0v9
    G7T9BIJBsewirb9eJlOicjXt0jES2PLP5LqC9RcdCEq/IngelJObGBs2jpiFZeaw
    AvXxWBYI2tEbjXhE5SDxzgooomeOfYQJ62zKXZ0RH/kwKsKHykCOlvLCBC3o/NZL
    OjpzzDbt8UVJ/sFwrammlGR4ncpeScIUdmUXpydMSaAvnPG9ux9DK7hCueceMKJs
    uuyZubRcmcBEyE7UoxTMYevUXrlE4rOngEcDGf8de5hvb7+NnkVPvuU1HnxmkGlG
    dr1Xsd06JAAnZYaCxdIzpeCRfwxRMb1r6RgpRbfzewmsJ77ZwOmOOxdWA/t3RBGo
    YLxgT7rm4mFbzxaojIduXDd9Qt45v8KTCWsd6KN1Nej0ZV0A7UV2ajXPcVm5pNUv
    DQYV4uPIuhFcUj+IrpnhTbdJpnazmeYwK2quEt5S5H38ag0racaF2EwTmEeLU0Dn
    TuNKilfMDS2diKhHIBsbVoRxfxwnllNiv/qkZ7Bsso+MAV0bimPDJcUu8Nb8IfDR
    2TSTx+XTzQMtlctIrTgCTww8cs8k/aCnMZChOkDUkXxT1aR/BfH55kJ2pIkhfBB4
    LSADAmP+MSP/xxD/SvgpeaRSqIO7iuI0VhCmgN0Psl9ytfyx3qk2//q4fuLHwN30
    O2KoywscO8y3MS271WFF
    =kVwb
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    Will that work in the test drive? I've only burn one ISO and it did not work so I have been testing them in test drive. So far none have worked. Do you have to include any dependencies before installing Chromium? VLC let me know I didn't have one of the lib files and I had to go find the right repo.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help with Suse Studio

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I would assume the command would work in test drive, yes... the test drive
    is pretty complete so it should be fine. Perhaps you should try adding
    Chromium after finishing the build in Test Drive so that any missing
    dependencies will error there instead of maybe being hidden behind the
    SUSE Studio scenes and allowing the install incorrectly.

    Good luck.





    On 01/26/2011 10:36 AM, sleven wrote:
    >
    > Will that work in the test drive? I've only burn one ISO and it did not
    > work so I have been testing them in test drive. So far none have
    > worked. Do you have to include any dependencies before installing
    > Chromium? VLC let me know I didn't have one of the lib files and I had
    > to go find the right repo.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNQHNsAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5bvwQAIjARYWcjbVJ8S4FR9wDXM3x
    vjarfyNanrbRIhagadv9rBtKOWjqPBBOBVUmgZBBaCPAU3A0h5hfD8W5X7PD3mUU
    3toPCU9kzfI+n70bCxq6ebyFqamPA+vaWojD21S2yszeuH0mD3a5yQqlubKY9ea/
    +WE47uL6zZe9iSi8EWW2vnml6HMJGO6+HOqzPIpcWy8RcZxmfjW40IrF3fRl+f16
    Pyl9scdr9ZCPb6UblG20I4TDuBB13x+hhoh5IUlLLfF6VTA+bMZ5KJwxzFbGPQa4
    LD6jHwJsxqgQHbK1vgoirJ490Axi9kIOm0A9qkibK6t3VLow2yjjpYp4OO8AtQM3
    /dyiiUABakqH+GDnbBkXfHi6rYb3zln+rzNk/4DUTpDF7XatJg1h0y7XFgs7IhS4
    Z+cRbCoG7FY0D5DMKzF36Zdl9jQeQfdShgfiGT9zfVlSOy/AwIVCN+A96Vqphzdl
    VtwpWyLxvnfR3x3K1LbcWjRD8c8Hri7aQ+auQu4aTLbsThtLgxNPBDfioamVLWV5
    DE7IuekArebG5VZZJMKJIlxmiCZwCGwGHDL20aqp1p45kHxFp7SJG7FeDDoV+H2w
    wLIGpl1+ky51//usEhkypCJgHX+sbk00VcMUkmt/Ne+aiffOURG5foxQa53tEE6g
    0OnIr/p8NKN8H/4JVhFy
    =lRRU
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •