Thread: what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

Hybrid View

Default what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.
    and how to check which one i am using?

Default Απ: what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

Welcome to opensuse
    Well i586 and x86_64 are processors' sockets. Socket is the base which processor is placed on motherboard.

The 32bit cpu and carrying handle pieces of data consisting of 32bit and 64cpu bits of 64bit. May carry dld FASTER eg large volumes of data from memory to cpu etc.
    Of course this does not mean that the cpu is 2 times faster because it processes twice the volume of data in each command. The problem is that the cpu is not fast enough for such quantities of data and the applications themselves, which really can show the 64bit teeth are certain cryptographic applications, some image filters, a video editing program that is correct for 64bit and some others.

The 32bit linux do not see 4GB but that some of them bound for the operating system, so do not have everything available for your application.
    Some video cards bind also some of the main memory.

So like are made of concrete 32bit cpu and memory, Burma to use max 2 ^ 32 different memory addresses dld 4.294.967.296 bytes
    The 4.3GB
    The 64bit cpu can make theoretically address 2 ^ 64 different addresses in memory dld around 18.000.000 Terabytes!
    Sure those used to cut 48bit dld max 280 Terabytes of memory.

The ordinary user does not need 64bit nor will see any significant difference anywhere.
    Also running 64bit cpu and 32bit applications through emulation.

Today we have two of sockets architectures we have the AM3 architecture for AMD processors which are 64 bit (x86_64)
    and the ixxx(I mean numbers for example i586 because I use AMD processors) which is for intel processors

If you want to check what are you using now
    open terminal and write this

Code:
     arch
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

Sorry, but the above is not quite right.

i586 and x86_64 are two cpu architectures, differentiated mostly by the size of the address registers (32 and 64 bit). Both intel and amd make both kinds of processors.

Sockets (in the sense the poster above stated) are the, well, sockets where the cpu is connected. There are dozens of different sockets, depending on cpu vendor and model.

64-bit cpus (x86_64) can address much more memory than 32-bit ones, which are limited to 4GB total memory IINM. AFAIK linux see all memory, it's 32-bit windows that are limited to 3GB - you can have more memory installed, but it won't be used.

Perhaps the ordinary user won't see any difference between 32 and 64-bit application, all other things being equal, but the point is that they are not.
    64-bit cpus are the current focus of intel/AMD, have virtualization support, better cache/power/processing technologies, etc. And this make a sensible difference in performance that more than offset the small overhead due to the larger register size.

Default Re: what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmanQamar View Post
    what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.
    and how to check which one i am using?
    I presume you mean the packages in the repos. If so:

i586 = packages compiled and structured for 32-bit systems, may run in 64-bit systems if -32bit compatibility packages for it's dependencies are available.
    noarch = packages that do not require a specific architecture, run on both.
    repodata = I think it's a kind of repo index or metadata, not something you install.
    src = the program sources, files in readable programing languages that have to be compiled into binaries to be run.
    x86_64 = packages compiled and structured for 64-bit systems, won't run in 32-bit systems.

I'm not an expert on this, so a few minor points may not be exactly so, but that's the general idea.
    Last edited by brunomcl; 25-Jan-2011 at 10:14. Reason: typo

Default Απ: Re: what is difference between,i586,noarch,repodata,src,x86_64.

x86_64 = packages compiled and structured for 64-bit systems, won't run in 32-bit systems.
    You are right I forgot to tell that. 64 bit systems can run 32 bit programms and of course 64 bit proagramms. But 32 bit systems can not run 64 bit programms and operating systems.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi