Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please, help me making my tv card work.

Default Please, help me making my tv card work.

I already knew Linux for a while but I'm new to Opensuse. I found it very easy to configure using Yast. In few days I put everything working the way I need and doing everything I used to in Windows. There is just one anoying problem.
    No matter what I do I can't make my TV card work. It is a Zogis Real Angel 330 Plus.
    Yast recognized it and automatically created a config file in /etc/modprobe.d, wich I don't know if is right.
    I changed Yast tv card config sometimes and don't know what is the better way. I don't know if it is better to check that tv card is connected to HDA or to Conexant (wich is the name of the card's chipset). In Yast I found no option to Real Angel 330 so I also tried to choose Real Angel 220, unknown card cx8xx driver and Conexant DVD-T reference desing but with no better result. So I removed the card and let Yast recognize it automatically again.
    As I saw in another thread, I downloaded the xc3028-v27.fw firmware file and placed it at /lib/firmware. After configuring channels, region and tv norm accordingly to what is recomended to my region (Brazil) the best I got is a very bad image and no sound in xawtv and motv, using Television as input source (the only one that worked).
    If I connect tv card externally to soundcard the only sound I get is noise as that of out of tune channels. If I don't do it I get no sound at all.
    Strangely in Windows all the same channels keep working right but no in Linux.
    In TVtime I got no results and could not even change channels in it. I tried to install Mythtv but it was worse. In the first config screen it never connected. It also made all video input sources disappear in all other programs leaving only DVD that didn't work. I had to uninstall it and delete all config directories realted to tv in my home folder to make things go back to the bad image and no sound config I had before. And that is all I get.
    Please, help me because Opensuse is so good that I have used it almost all the time and I can't close everything I'm doing and restart in Windows everytime I want to watch a tv show.
    Regards. And thanks for any help.

Default Re: Please, help me making my tv card work.

Hi,

Have you put the card identification number in yast --Hardware ---TV Card?

If not look in the file /var/log/boot.omsg or /var/log/boot.msg. On my system a similar card is stated as :-
    Code:
    <4>[    7.434779] saa7134:   card=150 -> Zogis Real Angel 220
    Whatever the number is on your system in needs to be placed in the TV and Radio Card Configuration.

Try the above if an exact match cannot be found else try card=0 -> UNKNOWN/GENERIC

If its already done, sorry for wasting your time.

Happy new year.

Michael.

Hi,

Just for info my modprobe.d file is as follows. Its no help but just more info.

Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-tv.conf

alias char-major-81 videodev
    options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

# YaST configured TV card
    # Kaa7.XzkttnXJLD4:User-Defined TV Card
    alias char-major-81-0 saa7134
    alias char-major-81-1 off
    alias char-major-81-2 off
    alias char-major-81-3 off
    options saa7134 card=2
    for a card 8681 LV-LifeView FlyVideo 3000.

I see now that selecting card=150 does not do anything as it has no specified parameters.

Happy hunting.

Michael

ps. The card works much better under Linux with tvtme, than it ever did in Windows with the supplied software.

Third try at imparting some info,

Note: TV cards normaly need a propriatry video card driver installed.

1. Delete all installed TV software (the software must be installed after correct hardware detection).

2. Verify the TV card is correctly recognised,
    e.g. lspci | grep Multimedia
    03:06.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7134/SAA7135HL Video Broadcast Decoder (rev 01)

3. Verify v4l driver module is correctly installed in the kernel,
    e.g. lsmod | grep v4l
    v4l2_common 19935 2 tuner,saa7134
    videodev 43828 4 tuner,saa7134,v4l2_common
    v4l1_compat 17249 1 videodev
    v4l2_compat_ioctl32 11349 1 videodev

4. Only if the above is confirmed, install preferred TV software and reboot or restartx.

If all has gone to plan you should see a selection of input sources in the TV installed software.
    e.g. Input source: Composite 1 & 2, TV, TV mono, S-video.

Thank you very much for your interest in trying to help me. Sadly my problem still remains. I will appreciate it if you shed more light on it.
    I tried to see the card number on /var/log files and it was detected there as Powercolor RA330, card number 62. Amazing! The correct model was already detected.
    I cahnged the card number in .conf file at /etc/modprobe.d to card=62 but all I got was a image a little less worse and constantly alternating between colors and black&white&gree.
    still no sound at all.
    lspci | grep Multimedia returned nothing at all.
    lsmod | grep Multimedia nothing at all too.
    lsmod | grep Multimedia returned:
    v4l2_common 16673 3 tuner,cx8800,cx88xx
    videodev 39358 4 tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common
    v4l1_compat 14629 1 videodev
    i2c_core 26632 10 nvidia,tuner_xc2028,tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,v4l2_common,videodev,i2c_i801,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
    I see here the tuner as cx8800,cx88xx. The last thing I tried on Yast was to select the card as cx88xx. My surprise here is that lsmod | grep Multimedia dysplayed what seems to be the correct number for chipset of this kind of card: cx8800.
    So what is wrong or missing?

Ok, I don't know your card but I installed already many different brands for friends.
    The point is that the distribution endorses just some uncommon brands of tv cards and for the others, common brands included, we have to do manually. So, tonight I'll take a look around. You could meantime delete ALL traces of your installing, firmware included but we will put it back on the right moment . My first questions: has your card S2 capabilities? Has your LMB a switch? Is your card a budget one (also called BDA)?
    Don't worry, I never saw a not perfectly working tv card under Linux.
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

ok, I see:
    Placa de TV Zogis Real Angel 330 Plus
    Chipset Conexant CX2388X-10bit
    Core Software MPEG2 Encoding
    TV System NTSC, PAL & SECAM (E todas variaes)-Worldwide
    Input TV/FM, Video/Audio, S-Video/Composite
    udio integrado (line out opcional)
    Interface PCI
    Conectores
    1 conector para a antena da TV
    1 conector para a antena do FM
    1 Conector de mltiplas funes
    1 conector para o sensor do controle remoto

A dvb-c tv card mostly sold in Portugal and Brasil.
    You need the last proper driver and perhaps I know were to find it and were to get the right driver name.
    Tomorrow I'll check the solution,
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

If you can help me with the driver I will be very, very thankful. I don't know answers to the questions you posed in your first reply but what you found about the card is true. I am brazilian and this card really has this specifications you mentioned. As I told above I placed the xc3028-v27.fw firmware file in /lib/firmware but something really seems to be wrong about it. No configuration leads to fine results. Yesterday I found out in another site that Real Angel 330 is the same as Powercolor RA330. So I chose Powercolor RA330 in Yast and things continued the same: no sound, bad image, colors oscilation.
    My tv card is really keeping me tied to MS Windows and preventing me to advertise Linux to my friends.
    If it has to do with the driver pelase, help me find the right one and tell me what I ahve to do with it.
    Again, it would be an enormous help and I would be very thankfull.

Well, I promised.
    Today is sunday and in the evening (Europe) I will have time to check a couple more of things. Meantime please delete every trace of your previous configuration. firmware included, however we will possibly need it again, but renamed. Please read also the following tread, concerning a different card which I had to install for a friend. Don't panic if you don't know about programming. Like you can see, we will get the best assistence from everywere. Oh, install also mercurial, you will wonder about what linux kann do!
    Until later.
    By the way, I am fluent in spanish, what makes me able to understand a bit portugise.
    the tread:
    hxxp://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/451221-source-compiling-problem.html
    Substitute hxxp with http

Have you run the command,

v4l-conf

does it make any difference if you do?

Posting its output might he helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast