Thread: davfs2: logged in as root but getting "user davfs2 does not exist"

Default davfs2: logged in as root but getting "user davfs2 does not exist"

I am a Linux newbie. But I've gotten as far as getting davfs to work on RH Linux. However, on SuSE I'm logged in as root, but when I issue the mount command I'm getting "user davfs2 does not exist". (I was getting "group davfs2 does not exist", so I created the group (groupadd davfs2) then added the user davfs2 to the new group by following the instructions at The Nerdrium : Linux : Creating Groups.

The command I'm issuing is:
    mount -t davfs http://.....

I get challenged for credentials, but after I enter them I get the "user davfs2 does not exist" message.

Default Re: davfs2: logged in as root but getting "user davfs2 does not exist"

Welcome on these forums. We hope we can help you and that you can help us.

That said, please take into account that we are human beings. Thus we can not guess what level openSUSE you use. Also we prefer copy/pasted terminal text above stories (and please post those between CODE tags: Posting in Code Tags - A Guide).

While you are reading this, I hope people more knowledgeble then I about this subject will come to your rescue in spite of your scanty information.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Smile Re: davfs2: logged in as root but getting "user davfs2 does not exist"

Following are the file systems I know about and davfs2 is not among the listing by default:

The third field, (fs_vfstype), describes the type of the filesystem. Linux supports lots of filesystem types, such as adfs, affs, autofs, coda, coherent,
    cramfs, devpts, efs, ext2, ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc, qnx4, reiserfs, romfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, udf, ufs, umsdos,
    vfat, xenix, xfs, and possibly others. For more details, see mount(8). For the filesystems currently supported by the running kernel, see /proc/filesystems.
    An entry swap denotes a file or partition to be used for swapping, cf. swapon(8). An entry ignore causes the line to be ignored. This is useful to show disk
    partitions which are currently unused. An entry none is useful for bind or move mounts.
    You can find out more about the davfs2 project here:

davfs2 - Summary [Savannah]

It looks like you will need to install the davfs2 package from 1-Click installation here:

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

Once you get it installed, perhaps you would read up on its usage here:

mount.davfs(8) - Linux man page

Good luck.

Thank You,

My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas