SeaMonkey Crashes Computer on ABCGo Website

When using SeaMonkey to view the following website, the whole computer “crashes”. It crashes in the sense that it no longer accepts input(via keyboard and mouse), and the screensaver does not activate when the laptop screen is closed. The screen does not go black and the Caps Lock key does not flash as in a kernel panic. This is the only time in my entire lifetime of Linux that an application actually crashes the system and has effects similar to that of a kernel panic.

This is the website:
No Ordinary Detention Full Episode - No Ordinary Family - ABC

The video plays for some time, but after a while the computer just stops responding to input and the video(unfortunately) stops playing.

Unfortunately, I can not say much looking from the kernel log(/bin/dmesg), because each time I restart my computer, it is erased. Also, I checked the System Log(/var/log/messages), and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I watched a previous episode of the show on the same website using Opera, and all fared well. However, what could be the problem with watching it using SeaMonkey?

Thank you for all of your assistance in advance.

openSUSE 11.3 64-bit
SeaMonkey 2.0.11
Adobe Flash 10(10,0,45,2)
KDE 4.5.5
X.Org X Server 1.8.0

So, this Site plays OK for me (putting in the link was a very good idea), but I am using Firefox. Have you tried Firefox to see if it works any better for you? Because of the nature of the video stream, I must ask what kind of video GPU are you using? For instance I have a nVIDIA GPU and thus load their driver. Have you been through the complete multimedia setup thing? If there is any doubt, perhaps you should check it out with the mmcheck script you can find Here. It is worth a try just to make sure I think. Lets get these few questions out of the way before we try anything else.

Thank You,

I have SeaMonkey installed, but outside United States territories, so barred from the video content by that website.

For anyone outside US territories, don’t waste your time on it.

Were you running the Flash video in full-screen? If so, and you use an Intel graphics chip with “intel” driver, it is a well-known bug that was fixed in a kernel update (to 11.3), working for some users but not all.

I did not view the Flash video in full screen, and I do not use generally use Firefox to watch Flash videos, because the high probability that the entire Flash plugin on Firefox will crash causing me to restart Firefox.

Here is information about my video card from sysinfo:/

Vendor: Intel Corporation
Model: 965 GM
2D driver: intel
3D driver: Unknown classic (7.8.2)

Vendor: Intel Corporation
Model: 965 GM
2D driver: intel
3D driver: Unknown classic (7.8.2)
So I do wonder if it might have something to do with your video driver. Here is someone else with the same video that had problems with dual monitors. consused has some interesting comments about changing the video driver that is loaded.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/453052-suse-11-3-965gm-graphics-external-vga-not-even-detected.htm

l for one, decided to stick with openSUSE 11.2 for this platform, but I also have upgraded the kernel to 2.6.37 which works just fine, even on openSUSE 11.2. Check out message #17 about using SAKC:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.00

Also, in the same thread message #22 has a small utility for SAKC called KLIST, which is helpful when dealing with more than one kernel. Switching kernels can often help since this is where the hardware drivers exist. There is more to it however than just the kernel. In order to be able to compile a kernel file you need to load the kernel development, base development and C++ development files into your PC. You can do that running YaST / Software / Software Management, select the View button on the top left and select Patterns. Then check off the Base, C++ and Kernel Development tools and allow them to be installed.

Thank You,

@Paranelsus

Have you tried disabling the screensaver, and then running the Flash video through?

No, I have not tried doing this, but I did allow the computer to attempt to “recover itself” by waiting 3 minutes to see if there would be a response.

Try it - disabling the screensaver for running the video. It worked for me when after 4mins (default time for screensaver to appear when enabled) when the event froze the Flash streaming video in full-screen, and sometimes a reboot was needed.

It seems as if this issue is not exclusive to SeaMonkey, but it also happened to me while viewing a video on Firefox.
Here is the supposed error:
kernel [54591.003774] npviewer.bin[15496]: segfault at f115a04c ip 00000000f60f7dc7 sp 00000000ffb1d100 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[f5d59000+b2c000]

Why does the Flash error crash the entire computer instead of just the application?

Segfault is usually a software bug/error. Are you running a 32bit or 64bit version of flash-player on your 64bit 11.3 system?

I have this package installed from standard openSUSE repos, and working on my 64bit system: flash-player-10.1.102.64-0.2.1.i586