Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Earth

Default Google Earth

I am not having much luck. I was hoping for a simple no fuss program, but I can't get Google earth to load.
    Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30987) setting "libc.so.6()(64bit)" records from Requirename index
    error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30987) getting "libc.so.6()(64bit)" records from Requirename index

I couldn't load from the OpenSuse download site, so I went to the Google site and downloaded it. It asked how I wanted to open it and I chose the package application and I then got the message above. I was downloading the 64bit version

I am going to add to this as I wanted to download some more software for stitching images
    Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30987) setting "libc.so.6()(64bit)" records from Requirename index
    error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
    error: error(-30987) getting "libc.so.6()(64bit)" records from Requirename index
    What is going on and what is blocking these downloads?

Default Re: Google Earth

Reading some other threads I found here by using the Forums Search function (this is a little pun), I first used YaST > Software > Software management to install the package lsb. The GE install seems to use it to decide where to store everything.

I installed GoogleEarth by downloading it from their site (it offered me the Linix version automagicaly). Then used chmod to set the x-bits of GoogleEarthLinux.bin. Then, as root, executed it. Works like a charm.
    Henk van Velden

I don't think you need to be root but then of course it only installs for the current user. GE is a strange duck since it is basically a wine wrapped windows exe+libs.

gogalthorp wrote:
    > I don't think you need to be root

here, following the GE site provided instructions of a few years ago
    (when i first installed it) it runs with a simple user click of the icon..

though, that only works for _the_ user who installed it..
    referenced icon here clicked kicks off
    /home/[user]/google-earth/googleearth %f

there must be a way to install to the system so multiple users have
    access without resorting to executing as root....but, i don't need to
    do that...and, anyway i have no idea but maybe the machine blows up if
    two or more users try to use the same windows executable in WINE at
    the same time...(sure sounds dangerous!)

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
    Be it ever so humble, there is no place like 127.0.0.1.

I downloaded from the site and from the packages. I get the same message everytime. With most packages I get the same problem. Is there a conflict in the package source? I have no idea

It looks like your RPM database is corrupt. Run this in the Terminal (Konsole on KDE) as root (by first doing su -) to rebuild the RPM database:
    Code:
    rpmdb --rebuilddb
    Can you install the package after that?
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

As several people gave information above that could touch my advice, I will repeat some of the info I gave and explain some.

The method for install above works since a long time and I did two installs last week.

There are no RPMs involved in this method and I thus do not understand how you can get RPM errors.

You can indeed install as root (as I described above) and then all users (I am using KDE) will have an icon in Kmenu > Internet > More programs > Google Earth.
    And of course, this will run GoogleEarth as the user and NOT as root. And every user will have his own configuration in ~/.googleearth automaticaly.

You can also install as the end-user and the you will have the icon and the personal ~/.googleerath. And you will have the program itself somewhere within your home directory.
    But no other user can then use GoogleEarth and that is a bit contrary to the idea of Linux where software is made available to all users.
    When you are using a system as end-user where you are not on speaking terms with the systems administator, this could be handy, but normaly I would advise to install system wide.
    Henk van Velden

Hi,

downloaded googleearth this afternoon, 6.0.1.2032-0 x86_64.rpm version, installed with yast over the top of version 5.2.1.1588.bin

it ran without any problems

previous version tried, 6.0.0.1735.bin, installed but never ran on my system

Hi TonyBennett,

have you tried an install from repo URL: http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64 via yast

this repo was automatically installed on my last update of googleearth

note: it appears not to have a gpg key!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD
    [...] and, anyway i have no idea but maybe the machine blows up if
    two or more users try to use the same windows executable in WINE at
    the same time...(sure sounds dangerous!)
    The Linux version of Google Earth does not use wine at all. It is a native port.

hcvv, the info on being able to install GE systemwide was new to me, thank you for that. It indeed is more compliant to the "Linux way".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast