Google Earth

I am not having much luck. I was hoping for a simple no fuss program, but I can’t get Google earth to load.
Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) setting “libc.so.6()(64bit)” records from Requirename index
error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) getting “libc.so.6()(64bit)” records from Requirename index

I couldn’t load from the OpenSuse download site, so I went to the Google site and downloaded it. It asked how I wanted to open it and I chose the package application and I then got the message above. I was downloading the 64bit version

I am going to add to this as I wanted to download some more software for stitching images
Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) setting “libc.so.6()(64bit)” records from Requirename index
error: db3 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) getting “libc.so.6()(64bit)” records from Requirename index
What is going on and what is blocking these downloads?

Reading some other threads I found here by using the Forums Search function (this is a little pun), I first used YaST > Software > Software management to install the package lsb. The GE install seems to use it to decide where to store everything.

I installed GoogleEarth by downloading it from their site (it offered me the Linix version automagicaly). Then used chmod to set the x-bits of GoogleEarthLinux.bin. Then, as root, executed it. Works like a charm.

I don’t think you need to be root but then of course it only installs for the current user. GE is a strange duck since it is basically a wine wrapped windows exe+libs.

gogalthorp wrote:
> I don’t think you need to be root

here, following the GE site provided instructions of a few years ago
(when i first installed it) it runs with a simple user click of the icon…

though, that only works for the user who installed it…
referenced icon here clicked kicks off
/home/[user]/google-earth/googleearth %f

there must be a way to install to the system so multiple users have
access without resorting to executing as root…but, i don’t need to
do that…and, anyway i have no idea but maybe the machine blows up if
two or more users try to use the same windows executable in WINE at
the same time…(sure sounds dangerous!)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
Be it ever so humble, there is no place like 127.0.0.1.

I downloaded from the site and from the packages. I get the same message everytime. With most packages I get the same problem. Is there a conflict in the package source? I have no idea

It looks like your RPM database is corrupt. Run this in the Terminal (Konsole on KDE) as root (by first doing su -) to rebuild the RPM database:

rpmdb --rebuilddb

Can you install the package after that?

As several people gave information above that could touch my advice, I will repeat some of the info I gave and explain some.

The method for install above works since a long time and I did two installs last week.

There are no RPMs involved in this method and I thus do not understand how you can get RPM errors.

You can indeed install as root (as I described above) and then all users (I am using KDE) will have an icon in Kmenu > Internet > More programs > Google Earth.
And of course, this will run GoogleEarth as the user and NOT as root. And every user will have his own configuration in ~/.googleearth automaticaly.

You can also install as the end-user and the you will have the icon and the personal ~/.googleerath. And you will have the program itself somewhere within your home directory.
But no other user can then use GoogleEarth and that is a bit contrary to the idea of Linux where software is made available to all users.
When you are using a system as end-user where you are not on speaking terms with the systems administator, this could be handy, but normaly I would advise to install system wide.

Hi,

downloaded googleearth this afternoon, 6.0.1.2032-0 x86_64.rpm version, installed with yast over the top of version 5.2.1.1588.bin

it ran without any problems

previous version tried, 6.0.0.1735.bin, installed but never ran on my system

Hi TonyBennett,

have you tried an install from repo URL: http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64 via yast

this repo was automatically installed on my last update of googleearth

note: it appears not to have a gpg key!

Michael

The Linux version of Google Earth does not use wine at all. It is a native port.

hcvv, the info on being able to install GE systemwide was new to me, thank you for that. It indeed is more compliant to the “Linux way”.

Yes, it is. And I found out like you, by blundering into yet another thread about GoogleEarth some time ago (after I complained that I had to install it three times for three different users and was told I did I did not do that very clever :wink: ).

Here’s the thread about it:
Google earth install

On 01/24/2011 02:36 PM, hcvv wrote:
>
> gropiuskalle;2281680 Wrote:
>> The Linux version of Google Earth does not use wine at all. It is a
>> native port.
>>
>> hcvv, the info on being able to install GE systemwide was new to me,
>> thank you for that. It indeed is more compliant to the “Linux way”.
>
> Yes, it is. And I found out like you, by blundering into yet another
> thread about GoogleEarth some time ago (after I complained that I had to
> install it three times for three different users and was told I did I
> did not do that very clever :wink: ).
>
>
and, i just installed it by simply going to google, selecting the rpm
for my chip, clicking agree…a firefox pop up asked how to handle it,
and opted for “Open with Install/Remove Software (default)”, gave the
root password [strong] when requested…fini, no problem AND this

:~> which google-earth
/usr/bin/google-earth

tells me it automatically lands in the right system place…yipee!

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.4.4
release 3, Thunderbird3.0.11,]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Ah the rpm was a new one much easier, thanks!

On second thought I’m not sure I like this, it adds a repo to my system without asking, and a file, althoug empty, to /etc/cron.daily. and /usr/bin/google-earth is just a symlink to /opt/google/earth/free/googleearth, so nothing has changed there. Well, now I’m aware of this but I would have preferred the old .run-installer.

I am a bit confused. When I search for “google earth download” with Google, I am offered Google Earth, which is a dutch site. When I click there on “Akkoord gaan en downloaden” (no need to translate imho) I get the file GoogleEarthLinux.bin. Make it executable, run it either as user (to get it installed for the user) or as root (install system wide). In both cases an icon is added to Kmenu > Internet > More Programs (for the user or for every KDE user as applicable, I guess that this is also true for Gnome).

And with a system wide install it is stored in /opt and there is a link

henk@boven:~> l $(which googleearth)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 jan 16 20:33 /usr/local/bin/googleearth -> /opt/google-earth//googleearth*
henk@boven:~>

I do not understand where some people above get that RPM from. I looked also at Google Earth: Download Google Earth for PC, Mac, or Linux and got the same file. Can somebody please explain where that RPM is to be found?

Oh I didn’t notice that until now, for some reason when I today run a google search för “google earth” I ended up on an English version download site, my settings are swedish, and there are the rpm’s. If change language to swedish I also get the .run-installer.

Do you know which URL that was. Above I refer to a* .com* one. Did you have a* .uk* one?

The english one is this:
Google Earth: Download Google Earth for PC, Mac, or Linux
The swedish is this:
Google Earth: Hämta Google Earth för PC, Mac eller Linux

The difference seems to be “/intl/sv/” in the url.

I tried both URLs:
The .com one gives me a big button: Akkoord en downloaden (it apparently is language sensitive).
The intl/sv one gives the button: Godkänn og hämta.
But when I click them both offer me the download of dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoggleEarthLinux.bin
I nowhere see any RPM there.

BUT WAIT
I did all this in Konqueror. When I use FF on the same address I get a completely different looking page where I can choose between four downloads:

32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
32 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)
64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)

Well, this is … Yes what is this?