Firefox Error

I run openSUSE 11.3 64bit. and today firefox does not want to start. I tried upgrading it, downgrading it, removing plugins, rebooting, running it as SU, you name it.

The weird part is that when I open it from terminal, a window with an error appears for a fraction of a second and closes. but in the terminal nothing happens, no errors reported. nothing.

How can I find out whats making firefox crash?

running it as SU

Not recommended at all.

What happens, when you create a new user and start FF as this user?

rename the .mozilla folder
start firefox
report back if it works

If you have them, in yast software manager, try removing any moonlight or moonshine software

I renamed .mozilla which is the folder that contains the forefox stuff. When I run it again, it opens the dialog about importing settings, click next, and crashed immediately. no report in konsole. I did not try the new user stuff, since is the same as deleting the .mozilla folder. for the computer it is a new user anayway… isn’t it?

ok, Just tried the new user idea… same behavior!

What about the ‘moon’ stuff I mentioned
And have you tried installing google talk/video plugin?

cepiolidus wrote:
> I run openSUSE 11.3 64bit. and today firefox does not want to start. I
> tried upgrading it, downgrading it, removing plugins, rebooting, running
> it as SU, you name it.
>
> The weird part is that when I open it from terminal, a window with an
> error appears for a fraction of a second and closes. but in the terminal
> nothing happens, no errors reported. nothing.
>
> How can I find out whats making firefox crash?

You’re running it from a terminal so you can see diagnostic output, yes?

Have you tried running it in safe mode?

removed all the moon stuff, and keeps doing the same. I have not tried to install the google talk stuff. I check and it is not installed. is in on a repo or only from the website?
I even removed mplayer plugin for firefox, and left only firefox, and firefox branding for opensuse. it could be easier to find the problem if there was any log for firefox. do you know if there is any?

What happens with

firefox -safe-mode

I just had the same problem. Every time I started Firefox, it crashed and asked if I wanted to send the crash report to Mozilla. I also tried un-/re-installing Firefox from the Software Manager. No luck.

What I finally did was uninstall it, download the current version from the Firefox site, installed that one. It started without a problem. The only extra thing I did afterward was to add a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ to point to the new executable location.

This obviously has the downside that Firefox is not automatically updated by the OS. It has the advantage that it actually functions.

Firefox in safe mode did not work.

so I tried this:

What I finally did was uninstall it, download the current version from the Firefox site, installed that one. It started without a problem. The only extra thing I did afterward was to add a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ to point to the new executable location.

and it worked! thanks!

Consider yourself unique +1
As nobody else but you guys seems troubled with this.

Yes, it was truly bizarre occurrence. Even more odd is that the downloaded version is the same as the system installed version. I would have thought them to be the same. I guess not.

ok, so now firefox runs, but somehow flash is not linked to firefox, so I can’t see any flash content. I use 64bit version. what should I do?

go to this Firefox Flash installation page. Follow the directions.
<Install the Flash plugin to view videos, animations and games | Firefox Help;

Or you could try re-installing Firefox from the Software Manager again. I just did that and it functioned normally, i.e., it did not crash. And has all of the plugins.

One conjecture is that something in the profile got damaged and interacted badly with the default Firefox installation. After having run the manually installed version, whatever was damaged got fixed.

Or some other reason. I don’t know…

Tried re installing with no luck. Thanks for the link for flash. now I have flash working! 5:)