Thread: Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

Default Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

This may sound like a bit of a silly question but here goes. I like to keep a local copy of the main repositories, synced down from the download.opensuse.org using rsync. Currently since I'm using the 32-bit Opensuse 11.3 I exclude the x86_64 directory (from Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss/suse) so I don't waste space on the 64-bit packages I don't use.

However if I was using the 64-bit Opensuse could I just exclude the i586 and i386 directories from the repository? I mean does 64-bit Opensuse need to use any packages from the 32-bit versions of the repo?

Default Re: Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

There are some 32-bit packages (like flash-player etc...) that are used on 64-bit openSUSE.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

No, you don't need to include those, because the architecture of the install selects the appropriate directories. Any 32-bit libraries that might be needed by 32-bit apps like Skype are actually named as "64-bit" packages but with a different package name ending in -32bit.

Default [solved] Re: Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    No, you don't need to include those, because the architecture of the install selects the appropriate directories. Any 32-bit libraries that might be needed by 32-bit apps like Skype are actually named as "64-bit" packages but with a different package name ending in -32bit.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Sounds like a good system having the 32-bit libs in the repo with a name change - it avoids the messy and trouble-causing scenario of a 64-bit machine with duplicate 32-bit repos setup.

Blog Entries

Default Re: [solved] Re: Are i586 repos still needed on 64-bit install?

It's got to be that way anyway, otherwise the system will signal a clash when both versions are needed, as is usually the case.