Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error trying to Empty Trash

Default Error trying to Empty Trash

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with a silly and annoying problem.

Version 11.2

Whenever i try to empty the Trash (As Root) it does so then gives me an error message saying that it can't delete a specific file. It's always the same file and it says:

"The file or folder /home/.Trash-0/files/yesterday once more.mp3 does not exist."

Having looked in this location logged in as root using both Dolphin and at the command line, this file doesn't exist.

Anything that is in Trash that i'm aware of gets deleted.

Any ideas as to how i can prevent this error message.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Blog Entries

Default Re: Error trying to Empty Trash

empty the Trash (As Root)
    Why as root?
    Are you logged in as root?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Occasionally there are jobs that i have to do that can only be done logged in as root. Whilst logged in i occasionally delete huge amounts of unwanted MS Windows files from network shared locations.

i rarely log in as root and only when i have no choice, once a month.

Blog Entries

Well I never login as root and have no trouble deleting files
    Large amounts or big files should be deleted and not sent to trash.

Perhaps you need to work on your permissions so as to work as user and or use su - and rm if necessary
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by akwe-xavante View Post
    Occasionally there are jobs that i have to do that can only be done logged in as root. Whilst logged in i occasionally delete huge amounts of unwanted MS Windows files from network shared locations.

i rarely log in as root and only when i have no choice, once a month.
    This is nonsense. Read SDB:Login as root - openSUSE.
    Henk van Velden

akwe-xavante wrote:

> i rarely log in as root and only when i have no choice, once a month.

you always have a choice, it is just a matter of learning how to do
    it the way that does not have you loggin into KDE/Gnome/etc as root

instead log in as yourself and then launch a filemanager with root
    powers....there is usually one in the main menu, look for something
    like: System > File Manager > File Manager - Super User Mode..

anyway, there should be no file in your home directory owned by root,
    so it should be a piece of cake to empty your trash..

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

I don't want to open another debate about doing things logged in as root or not. For me its easier and considerably faster to do what i want to do logged in as root for 10 mins once a month and even less often than that. I have logged in as little as 3, 4 times a year in the past at the Linux box that is.

All i would like is help with my problem and if someone can help me with it, i would be very grateful.

Thank you to those who have replied thus far, i'm sure your correct. I'm not an avid Linux user and i will never be.

As a new thread afterwards if someone can explain how i can copy several small blocks of different text from different MS Windows text files into different cgi, html files on the main apache server logged in as a user not root via a ssh session from a MS Windows computer using putty as the client just as quickly and as efficiently i will be grateful. To make silly alterations i'm currently logging in as a user then su from a remote MS Windows PC using putty then i can make changes to apache, samba or vsftpd config files and make simple alterations to the main servers cgi scripts and html files. To make multiple changes to several of these files sometimes including the addition of one or more virtual hosts and large blocks of text and code its easier to go the Linux box itself and login as root to get the job done fast and easily, it works for me, its fast and efficient and i can't and don't make mistakes (i often get my html code and scripts wrong, silly typo's etc ). Its then i may at the same time tidy things up and delete sometimes as much as 600GB of unwanted files. Doing this via a mapped drive on a Windows PC is very slow even on a giga ethernet network. Doing it via a putty session at the command prompt logged in as a user not root has in the past caused problems resulting in the re installation of Linux because i have made a typo probably. I don't trust myself deleting / removing files at the command prompt. I've never made a mistake deleting files at the Linux box logged in as root, yet!!!!!!!

Nobody uses this Linux box for any reason whatsoever other than storing / moving around huge amounts of MS Windows data via mapped drives and installing MS Windows Service Packs and applications. This Linux Box has ftp, ssh, samba and apache servers running. Nobody ever logs in and uses it as a pc and only i can login and thats very rare.

Regards

Mark

My remarks are not to convince you to not log in in the GUI as root. After all it is your system and you can do as you think fit. But I can not leave a statement that suggest that loging in as root in the GUI is something that is needed go without comment. I want to avoid that anybody reading this thread believes that this is true, or a recommended way to do.

This is about others, not about you.
    Henk van Velden

The problem is logging into a GUI as root. This can cause ownership problems in your home directory as you now see now. Working with MS files can add to the problems because MS ownership is, let us say, different from Linux ownership structures. Making a mistake as root can cause far far more damage then doing the same thing as a user.

In ~/.local/share/trash you will see to folders/directories it may be that the info files did not get removed because of ownership deleting what is in info should unblock trash.

Hello hcvv,

I know, i thank you for your advice but can you see whats happening, this thread is becoming a discussion about doing things logged in as root and its not helping me resolve my problem.

This thread has already been hijacked by a very different topic and my chances of resolving my problem destroyed.

I'm tempted to start another thread and try again.

Again thank you all for your help and comments, but can anybody help me with my error message and a non existent file in the Trash can.

Mark

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast