Thread: Windows redraw very slowly

Default Windows redraw very slowly

Today I've got a strange bug. Windows redraw very slowly when you move them, i.e. you move window and it redraws when you passed about half of the screen. Everything except that works fine as usual. Maybe anyone has any ideas what could happen?

I have OpenSuse 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4, Radeon HD 4870 (proprietary drivers, but i've installed it long ago and it's likely not the problem).

Maybe something has changed after system updates installing but i'm not sure. Here is the list of changes:

kernel-syms-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-source-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-xen-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    preload-kmp-default-1.1_k2.6.34.7_0.7-19.1.11
    kernel-default-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    preload-kmp-desktop-1.1_k2.6.34.7_0.7-19.1.11
    openssl-1.0.0-6.5.1
    libopenssl-devel-1.0.0-6.5.1
    kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    sysconfig-0.73.7-2.3.1
    libsmi-0.4.5-131.3.1
    kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-desktop-base-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-default-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    libopenssl1_0_0-32bit-1.0.0-6.5.1
    libopenssl1_0_0-1.0.0-6.5.1

Thanks forehand for any help =)

Default Re: Windows redraw very slowly

Hello kementar,

Quote Originally Posted by kementar
    Today I've got a strange bug. Windows redraw very slowly when you move them, i.e. you move window and it redraws when you passed about half of the screen. Everything except that works fine as usual. Maybe anyone has any ideas what could happen?

I have OpenSuse 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4, Radeon HD 4870 (proprietary drivers, but i've installed it long ago and it's likely not the problem).

Maybe something has changed after system updates installing but i'm not sure. Here is the list of changes:

kernel-syms-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-source-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-xen-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    preload-kmp-default-1.1_k2.6.34.7_0.7-19.1.11
    kernel-default-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    preload-kmp-desktop-1.1_k2.6.34.7_0.7-19.1.11
    openssl-1.0.0-6.5.1
    libopenssl-devel-1.0.0-6.5.1
    kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    sysconfig-0.73.7-2.3.1
    libsmi-0.4.5-131.3.1
    kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-desktop-base-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    kernel-default-2.6.34.7-0.7.1
    libopenssl1_0_0-32bit-1.0.0-6.5.1
    libopenssl1_0_0-1.0.0-6.5.1

Thanks forehand for any help =)
    I think the problem lies that you've updated the kernel.
    It depends on how you installed the proprietary drivers but you probably need to rebuild your graphics card driver after a kernel update.

How did you install you graphics card drivers?

Best of luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

Blog Entries

My understanding is typically the proprietary graphic drivers are built against one kernel and often will not run with a different kernel.

In this case the OP has 2 different kernels (kernel-default and kernel-desktop). IMHO this ensures poor performance with one kernel, and possibly both, as when the drivers are installed via rpm the installer may not now what kernel to associate the drivers with.

Is it really necessary to have more than one kernel installed ?

Yep, of course that is the decision =) Many thanks to you, Edward_Iii =)

I remember now, when I installed the driver I read that. The problem was that I installed it using the script from the ATI official site (not the suse repository driver). And in that case you need to reinstall driver after updating the kernel.

By the way, is there any way to update driver automatically after kernel updating? Is there any repositories with the proprietary driver?

to oldcpu:
    Yep, that is not good, I have them uninstalled now, but how could many kernels affect the performance (i've thought that you load only one kernel when load the system).

But you only link the driver to one of the kernels with multiple kernels I think you need to link/relink to all.

Use the ATI repository to auto install after a kernel update. Manual install requires a manual update since you by passed the rpm system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kementar View Post
    to oldcpu:
    Yep, that is not good, I have them uninstalled now, but how could many kernels affect the performance (i've thought that you load only one kernel when load the system).
    Yes, you boot to only one, but my understanding is when one builds the driver during the graphic driver install, it tunes itself to the kernel code installed. However if one has more than one kernel installed, the driver may not build properly.

Also, even if one manages to build the driver against one kernel, it likely will not work against the other kernel.

Also, and I did not mention this before, just because one has the driver installed, does not mean one is booting to the correct driver. One needs to look inside the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to come up with the best assessment as to what graphic driver is being used.

Oh, I see.. Thanks for the explanation, oldcpu, and for you advice, gogalthorp =)
    I'm trying to get used to live with linux only and your help makes it much easier and more interesting linux distributives have one of the best kind of communities.

With ATI and Nvidia you can also see the driver in use in their respective configuration apps (amdccle and nvidia-settings, IINM).