Thread: Updater applet prompt to update packages from different repos

Default Updater applet prompt to update packages from different repos

I'm using openSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.5.4. The updater applet works fine for me, however I think it only checks for updates from the update repo. I tried to modify this behaviour by right clicking the icon and checking "show available updates, when the backend provides it(for experts)" (translation from polish so it may not be 100% accurate) but the behaviour is the same, it only prompts me when there are updates available in the update repo but I would like it also to prompt me when there are updates available in the packman and KDE stable repo. Is it possible to force the updater applet to do this ?

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Updater applet prompt to update packages from different repos

I found the following thread on the subject here:

kupdateapplet-zypper missing in 11.3rc?

It seems that you can get what you want by adding in this repository:

Index of /repositories/YaST:/Head/openSUSE_11.3

You then must downgrade Kupdateapplet & Kupdateapplet-packagekit to 0.9.9.-1.1 and then load the package Kupdateapplet-zypp of the same version. Then, in the configuration of the update applet, you will find the new backend called ZYpp Plugin which will do what you request. I found the following link that shows what the added icons mean:

Kupdateapplet - openSUSE

I can't say if such a change is recommended or not as the older version may no longer be supported, but I don't really know for sure.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Updater applet prompt to update packages from different repos

That's too much messing around in the system. I thought packagekit could do it also. Thanks for help anyway.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Updater applet prompt to update packages from different repos

That's too much messing around in the system. I thought packagekit could do it also. Thanks for help anyway.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Hey glistwan, you asked and I looked it up. I should get an E for Effort right? Anyway, I kind of wondered about this myself as I had remember that same function had existed, but went away for some reason. Don't know the whole story, but we have part of it anyway.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas