Thread: Virtualbox

Default Virtualbox

There is something that I am not getting here. I get the following when I try to start my XP virtual box stuff. I take it that I actually need an XP disk to do this?

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Here is a capture of what I have setup for XP virtual.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am sure I am stuck because I haven't done anything like this before. :-)

Default Re: Virtualbox

Yes you do need an install disk/DVD. Virtualbox is a two stage process. First you create the virtual environment which it appears you have done. This first stage handles the task of reserving a portion of your system for the virtuallized OS. Secondly, you place the OS medium into the drive and start virtual host to start and select the OS to be installed. At this point, it will try to access the OS using the boot order. In your case boot order states, floppy then CD/DVD then lastly, the harddisk. XP won't fit on a floppy so it moves on to see if it exists on the DVD drive (if no XP install DVD it assumes you have it on the harddisk). When it looks at the virtual harddisk it doesn't find XP there so it correctly reports no OS found and halts.

So if you place your XP DVD into the drive and start virtual host and select virtual client XP, and ..... assuming it can see your DVD drive, it will start the XP install to install XP to the defined space of virtual client XP. This will install it to the harddisk after the usual multiple Microsoft restarts. Once you have it installed, you can remove the DVD and change the boot order to read Harddisk,CDROM,Floppy and now when you select Virtual client XP it will run your XP from the harddisk.

good luck.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Thanks! That clears a lot of misunderstanding up for me. On a side note, is there any virtual XP software that I could use to bypass M$ altogether? That would be awesome.

caleb782734 wrote:
    > Thanks! That clears a lot of misunderstanding up for me. On a side
    > note, is there any virtual XP software that I could use to bypass M$
    > altogether? That would be awesome.

i use no M$ software and thereby "bypass M$ altogether" completely.

on the other hand, if you have some non-MS programs which were written
    to run in an MS OS then _maybe_ you can run those programs in WINE..

you can install WINE with YaST, and read the hundreds of posts around
    here on how to get started...

or, consult the Big Daddy of WINE at WINE Hq, here http://www.winehq.org/

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb782734 View Post
    Thanks! That clears a lot of misunderstanding up for me. On a side note, is there any virtual XP software that I could use to bypass M$ altogether? That would be awesome.
    In VirtualBox, the operating system - whether Windows or any other one - is not virtual. Only the machine (the box) is virtual.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb782734 View Post
    On a side note, is there any virtual XP software that I could use to bypass M$ altogether? That would be awesome.
    Running Windows on a VM requires a paid license just as it does on a host. It's not a way to bypass this.