Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A place with no mountains
    Posts
    280

    Default How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    Should I install Firefox 4.0b8 from here: Firefox web browser | Help us test the latest beta

    Or should I install from a repo? Which repo would have beta 8? I can't find it...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A place with no mountains
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I only found beta 6 there, not beta 8.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    OK
    Sorry

    The way I run it is.
    Download from Mozilla and run direct from the extracted folder in your /home/user download folder

    Make a backup copy of your hidden .mozilla folder
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A place with no mountains
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    OK, thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:36:02 +0530, caf4926
    <caf4926@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > OK
    > Sorry
    >
    > The way I run it is.
    > Download from Mozilla and run direct from the extracted folder in your
    > /home/user download folder
    >
    > Make a backup copy of your hidden .mozilla folder
    >
    >


    in that case you can run the standard FF from openSUSE repos & the tarball
    from mozilla simultaneously. just create a folder like /usr/lib64/firefox2
    or something, and call the executable (firefox) in that directory to start
    the beta version, via keyboard shortcut or app. icon per example.

    if you start FF with the option '-P <profile name>', you can specify a
    different profile for each version, so they don't mess up each others'
    add-ons, etc.

    --
    phani.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    MountainX wrote:
    > Should I install Firefox 4.0b8 from here: 'Firefox web browser Help us
    > test the latest beta'


    :-( i think it would be a really cool idea if we had a special forum
    for questions like this--maybe called *"Pre-Release/Beta"* or similar..

    and, maybe make the name in super big, bold, red letters flashing on
    this page: http://forums.opensuse.org/ in the list of "Get Technical
    Help Here"..

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:21:19 +0530, DenverD
    <DenverD@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    > MountainX wrote:
    >> Should I install Firefox 4.0b8 from here: 'Firefox web browser Help us
    >> test the latest beta'

    >
    > :-( i think it would be a really cool idea if we had a special forum
    > for questions like this--maybe called *"Pre-Release/Beta"* or similar..
    >
    > and, maybe make the name in super big, bold, red letters flashing on
    > this page: http://forums.opensuse.org/ in the list of "Get Technical
    > Help Here"..
    >


    i agree; but it would probably generate more noise if we tried to force
    the OP to re-post his question in the appropriate forum instead of
    answering it here. if the moderator had enough spare time he could move
    the whole thread, but i don't think that's the case.

    so @MountainX & everybody else: please, please, post such questions re.
    beta-versions of applications, like FF 4 beta, in _that_ forum n the
    future!

    --
    phani.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to install latest Firefox 4 beta?

    Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    I only found beta 6 there, not beta 8.
    That's not possible. Beta 8 has been there for weeks. How did you find out? It didn't carry the beta version as an RPM filename.
    Now it does btw as it has beta9..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •