OpenOffice win/lin variation

I don’t really need help with this, but if it comes - all the better.

I de-crappified a new laptop last week for a friend and set him up with OpenOffice.
I had earlier salvaged files from his old PC HD, saved them to my Box. Most of his office files were actually the dreaded M$ Works (.wps)
But I tried them and OpenOffice had no trouble, least in Linux that is.

I burned his files to a DVD-RW and copied them to his new Laptop. OpenOffice for windows wouldn’t have anything to do with the .wps files

Strange or what !?

I can’t go and fiddle with this, because I don’t have access to the Laptop now. But if any sage advice is offered, great.

Which OO for Windows did you install? I have the Sun/Oracle version on my Windows box and there are quite a few things missing from it that I take for granted in my Go-OO Linux version.

It would be 3.2.1

I would try to save the documents in odf format (.odp etc.) or MS Office format (.doc, etc). This may be a long process to do by hand if there are a lot of files. I have found XML.com: Moving to OpenOffice: Batch Converting Legacy Documents. I have not even read it but it may help

Good luck

On 2011-01-04 20:32, john hudson wrote:
>
> Which OO for Windows did you install? I have the Sun/Oracle version on
> my Windows box and there are quite a few things missing from it that I
> take for granted in my Go-OO Linux version.

Use Go-OO for windows version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Thanks
I see now

Remember that there is a bug in go-OO and it does not play sound in pps/ppt presentations. I have not checked that the bug also exists in the windows version. If it does then a version earlier than 3.2.1 will probably work. I have also had problems with some of the go-oo extensions but thay have not been critical to me and I have not progressed them. You can always install the free Microsoft powerpoint viewer and bypass impress for viewing ppt & pps files

If the pps bug exists in go-oo 3.2.1 for windows then it would probably be really anoying. A lot of people get sent these pps files and play them without even realizing that they are powerpoint presentations