Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with "misc" icon in KDE

Default Please help with "misc" icon in KDE

Hi

can somebody try the following simple thing (which drives me crazy...):

- create a folder named "misc" anywhere on your computer
    - try to create an icon view of that folder on your desktop.
    (or just go to dolphin, and drag and drop the "misc" folder onto the desktop and create an "icon" view... and see what happens when using that...)

When I do that, it does create the folder, the icon settings looks fine, but KDE interprets it as something link with the "misc" from Yast!!! So the icon symbol is in fact the "config" one and when I click on the icon, instead of opening the folder with dolphin it asks me for the root privilege to open yast.

So the bottom line is: I CANNOT get a working icon on my desktop linked to the FOLDER called "misc"..

any hint on how to solve this pls?

thanks!

Default Re: Please help with "misc" icon in KDE

OK. I created ~/misc, draged and droped it on the desktop, right clicked on the folder's icon, clicked on the icon in the top, left to the name "misc" and changed the icon (just for fun). When I click on the icon, it justs open the folder ~/misc as expected. I don't see where's the problem.

for me too, everything works fine

emsellem wrote:
    > any hint on how to solve this pls?

since two other people have tried to duplicate your problem symptom
    and could not, perhaps it is time for you to declare your operating
    system and KDE version..

and, enter the following into a terminal and copy paste the results
    back to here

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    using the instructions here:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451526

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
    Even if you don't know your quark from your meson, your contributions
    to open-source software are helping physicist at the Large Hadron
    Collider... Lundstedt in Linux Journal Nov '10

sure, sorry to hear you cannot reproduce the problem..

I am using KDE 4.5, opensuse 11.3.

thanks for any help. This is VERY weird.... (looking at the icon settings, all looks normal, but the icon itself is not defined properly somewhere otherwise it wouldn't open Yast instead of opening the folder so it makes NO sense).
    One more detail: /misc is a link to /home/misc (ln -s). Maybe this is important to reproduce the problem...

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+-------------------------------------+------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | ExtraKDE4.5 | ExtraKDE4.5 | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Distro_Factory |
    2 | KDE4.5 | KDE4.5 | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 |
    3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ |
    4 | Science | Science | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/science/openSUSE_11.3 |
    5 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
    6 | Xorg | Xorg | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 |
    7 | download.opensuse.org-Education | openSUSE BuildService - Education | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.3 |
    8 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
    9 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
    10 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (Sources) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    11 | download.opensuse.org-python | openSUSE BuildService - devel:languagesython | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/devel:/languages:/python/openSUSE_11.3 |
    12 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard |
    13 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.3/ |
    14 | mpl | mpl | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/ocefpaf/openSUSE_11.3 |
    15 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    16 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    17 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
    18 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    19 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss

sure, sorry to hear you cannot reproduce the problem..

I am using KDE 4.5, opensuse 11.3.

thanks for any help. This is VERY weird.... (looking at the icon settings, all looks normal, but the icon itself is not defined properly somewhere otherwise it wouldn't open Yast instead of opening the folder so it makes NO sense).
    One more detail: /misc is a link to /home/misc (ln -s). Maybe this is important to reproduce the problem...

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+-------------------------------------+------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | ExtraKDE4.5 | ExtraKDE4.5 | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Distro_Factory |
    2 | KDE4.5 | KDE4.5 | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 |
    3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ |
    4 | Science | Science | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/science/openSUSE_11.3 |
    5 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
    6 | Xorg | Xorg | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.3 |
    7 | download.opensuse.org-Education | openSUSE BuildService - Education | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.3 |
    8 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
    9 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
    10 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (Sources) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    11 | download.opensuse.org-python | openSUSE BuildService - devel:languagesython | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/devel:/languages:/python/openSUSE_11.3 |
    12 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard |
    13 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.3/ |
    14 | mpl | mpl | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/ocefpaf/openSUSE_11.3 |
    15 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    16 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    17 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
    18 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    19 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss

by the way: when I drag and drop the misc folder from dolphin, it automatically create an icon with the name "Miscellaneous" and the symbol of "Systems Settings"... makes no sense... (sorry for the duplicate in the previous post, my internet connection is terrible today)

emsellem wrote:
    > by the way: when I drag and drop the misc folder from dolphin, it
    > automatically create an icon with the name "Miscellaneous" and the
    > symbol of "Systems Settings"... makes no sense... (sorry for the
    > duplicate in the previous post, my internet connection is terrible
    > today)

strange! i don't understand how the machine can know that "misc"
    should have an icon named "Miscellaneous" !!! i wonder if you named
    one "cat" if the system would expand that to "Catastrophic" ??

first, (i'm not a KDE4 user, so i only know what i read, but) is your
    desktop set for "folder view"?

and, if you create a folder in your home directory named test, and
    then in dolphin go to ~/test and drag and drop it onto your desktop,
    does it also have the "systems setting" symbol, expand to
    "Testosterone" and open YaST if clicked ?? (or any of those strange
    things?)

if so, please use YaST to create a new user (say Test) and then log
    out of your current session and back in as Test and:

create in Test's home a "misc" folder and see if when you drag drop it
    to the desktop if it is also is connected to YaST, with a new icon name..

OH, and read this http://tinyurl.com/33qc9vu and then trim back your
    enabled repos some...i do not know what is causing your problem, but
    _maybe_ . . .

--
    DenverD
    Even if you don't know your quark from your meson, your contributions
    to open-source software are helping physicist at the Large Hadron
    Collider... Lundstedt in Linux Journal Nov '10

Just tried with a different temporary user. Still the same: drag and drop of the "misc" folder (icon) makes it automatically with the icon of the systems settings, "seems" to have the right set up (when I open the icon settings), but does call yast Miscellaneous when I click on it (asking me the root passwd).

I know it's funny, but this drives me crazy.
    So any hint of what I can do????

emsellem wrote:
    > Just tried with a different temporary user. Still the same: drag and
    > drop of the "misc" folder (icon) makes it automatically with the icon of
    > the systems settings, "seems" to have the right set up (when I open the
    > icon settings), but does call yast Miscellaneous when I click on it
    > (asking me the root passwd).
    >
    > I know it's funny, but this drives me crazy.
    > So any hint of what I can do????
    >
    >

ok, lets start at the beginning:

-how much experience do you have with Linux?

-are you dual booting with any other operating system?

-the 11.3 you are on now, is it installed over an older version? or is
    it a fresh format/install?

-did you install from a live CD or DVD?

-and did your install image come from software.opensuse.org or some
    other place?

-did you do this prior to installing? http://tinyurl.com/25ydj4a if
    not, do it now and if it reports _any_ errors tell us about it..

-did you have this problem from the very first use? i mean, did you
    have this problem before you moved to KDE4.5 ?

-in your first post you say "create a folder named "misc" anywhere on
    your computer" but, you tell me how you create a folder 'anywhere'
    outside of your home folder? did you do that as root? how?

-did you (for example) log into your KDE4 system as root and then
    create a folder in the root directory named "misc" that then fell into
    place between /media and /mnt? or just how did you create the folder
    and where did it land when first created?

-then, did you pick it up in dolphin and drop it into
    /home/[yourID]/misc is that what you did?

-in another post you write "/misc is a link to /home/misc (ln -s)"
    which really confuses me because:
    --did you create it as a link? how?
    --why is it a link to "/home/misc" and not "/home/[yourID]/misc"?
    --or do you have a user named "misc"?

i think i'm beginning to get an idea of what is going on in your
    machine there--i think it may be a classic PEBKAC or PICNIC..

--
    DenverD
    Programming: a race between software engineers building bigger/better
    idiot-proof programs, and the universe building bigger/better idiots.
    So far, the universe is winning. Rick Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast