Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper way to obtain source code for packages

Default AW: Re: AW: Proper way to obtain source code for packages

As a addon (this link is quite old but gives you the principles) here is alink which explains you the structure of /usr/src/packages (34.2 The RPM build tree )
    Chapter 34: Compiling SuSE Source Packages

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Proper way to obtain source code for packages

I think nobody answered your question. When you just want to look at the code of a package, then

1. Download somepackage.src.rpm into a directory.

2. Unpack it like this:

Code:
    unrpm somepackage.src.rpm
    3. You will find a couple of files (somepackage.spec and a couple of patch files probably) and an archive of the original source code ending in *.tar.bz2. Unpack it:

Code:
    tar xvlf somepackage.tar.bz2
    Then you have everything you want to look at.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

Thanks Voodoo, I think that is the answer to the original question I had. However, I learned a lot from the other posts so my round about question did some good.

Blog Entries

On a slightly related note, we have a forum guide here on Software on openSUSE: openSUSE software installation hints

That guide likely still needs further updating, but what you may find of interest is the command "rpmbuild".

I used that yesterday, when I went to install kde4-kdenlive (packaged by packman packagers) on one of my openSUSE-11.4 Milestone5 test PCs, and found that the dependency requirement to install it could not be met, because the application 'dvdauthor' was missing for 11.4 M5. So I downloaded the .src file for dvdauthor for openSUSE-11.3 and then from a terminal rebuilt that package for openSUSE-11.4 M5 by typing as a regular user:

Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.2.1.src.rpm
    the 1st time I typed that, I was advised of a number of "devel" dependencies I was missing in order to rebuild 'dvdauthor'. So I simply installed those missing dependencies (which fortunately were present) and then again tried:
    Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.2.1.src.rpm
    and the rpm dvdauthor-0.7.0-1.pm.2.1.i586.rpm was rebuilt for openSUSE-11.4 M5 and (in this case) placed under /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i586. I then installed that newly created rpm for 'dvdauthor' with zypper and again tried to install 'kde4-kdenlive'. This time, kde4-kdenlive installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12