Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: openoffice 3.2.1 impress ppt/pps import error

Default Re: openoffice 3.2.1 impress ppt/pps import error

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Just wondering too,
    You mean you removed the openSUSE version and manually installed o.o from o.office.org?
    Yes. Installing the openoffice.org version was easy. It is RPM packaged. Installing JMF is horrible and contains 32 bit libraries. There is an additional mp3 support packaged to be installed with JMF.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vindevienne View Post
    I have had lots of help. My point is that because of the way the sound subsystem is packaged, (or is not packaged), everyone has to spend a lot of time verifying that the sound system is correct before they can move on to a problem in any other package that may be using the sound system. I believe that there needs to be a better way of getting a working sound subsystem into opensuse
    Hmm ... I confess I don't find this problem with sound. Yes, power point presentations with audio don't always work well for me, and if you search my handle and pps on this forum, you will see that has always been a thorn in my side as a Linux user, not so much because I want to use that proprietary Microsoft presentation format, but because my mother wants to use it, and I would like to see her use Linux more (because I can support her on Linux, but no one in our family will support her on MS-Windows).

Of course Microsoft won't write a viewer for Linux for their proprietary presentation format (that supports audio playback). I wonder why they won't ? Why don't they open the standard up for all to use easily ?

Now because I do see users stumbling over sound in Linux I have tried to write guides to help openSUSE users with: (audio troubleshooting and alsa-update and sound concepts ). Caf4926 has also done the same.

Unfortunately its at the point now, where sound typically works perfectly (except for powerpoint for me) for me immediately after an openSUSE install, within 5 to 10 minutes (dependant on my download speed for the 3rd party rpms). Hence I no longer encounter the problems that frustrate new users, and since I don't encounter the problems its hard for me to have the necessary visualization needed to adequately help further than what I have already done.

I don't encounter this "everyone has to spend a lot of time" that you refer to . I consider myself part of 'everyone' and I definitely do NOT have to spend a lot of time. Just the contrary - exception of course is Microsoft's proprietary power point format when it comes to audio.

Blog Entries

Sound has always been flawless for me in openSUSE too.

That I find Mint producing virtually identical results, leaves me thinking this is not openSUSE sound and or o.o.
    But rather, as @oldcpu implies: A bit of M$ naval lint :-)
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vindevienne View Post
    OK, I raised bug report https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=661646 on openSUSE-11.4 Miletone5's Open Office and LibreOffice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123