Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE 11.3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE 11.3

    I want to change Weather Applet preferences which is present in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE.But seems to be locked.Please let me know as to how once can change the default settings.I have already used the weather in the time applet(works well).But i want the weather in a separate applet.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    On 2010-12-26 05:36, vazhavandan wrote:

    >
    > [image:
    > http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...eferences.png]


    Have you used apps as root using su or sudo?

    I would search your entire home tree and verify ownerships of all files. It
    is possible that something there belongs to root, so that you can not
    change it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2010-12-26 05:36, vazhavandan wrote:

    >
    > [image:
    > http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...eferences.png]


    Have you used apps as root using su or sudo?

    I would search your entire home tree and verify ownerships of all files. It
    is possible that something there belongs to root, so that you can not
    change it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    I am not able to figure out the command that lets you start the weather applet in super user mode which enables one to change the preferences for this applet

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    I am not able to figure out the command that lets you start the weather applet in super user mode which enables one to change the preferences for this applet
    su should not be necessary. Check the permissions of the files in '~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/applet_x', where x is a number. The files should be owned by you and you should have read and write permissions.

  5. #5
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    On 2010-12-28 06:06, vazhavandan wrote:
    >
    > I am not able to figure out the command that lets you start the weather
    > applet in super user mode which enables one to change the preferences
    > for this applet


    Don't do that. I didn't tell you to do that, and it would not solve anything.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos E. R. View Post
    On 2010-12-28 06:06, vazhavandan wrote:
    >
    > I am not able to figure out the command that lets you start the weather
    > applet in super user mode which enables one to change the preferences
    > for this applet


    Don't do that. I didn't tell you to do that, and it would not solve anything.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Minas Tirith))
    @All-thanks for replies

    I am going to try this first:-

    Check the permissions of the files in '~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/applet_x', where x is a number. The files should be owned by you and you should have read and write permissions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    I seem to have read and write permissions for the preference files :-(

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    On 2010-12-28 18:06, vazhavandan wrote:
    >
    > I seem to have read and write permissions for the preference files :-(


    Check all the files.

    Example:

    Code:
    ---------------------
    find /home/USERNAME/ -type f -exec chmod u+r+w,g+r-w,o-r-w-x '{}' \;
    find /home/USERNAME/ -type d -exec chmod u+r+w+x,g-w+r+x,o-r-w-x '{}' \;

    find /home/USERNAME/ -type f -exec chown USERNAME:users '{}' \;
    find /home/USERNAME/ -type d -exec chown USERNAME:users '{}' \;

    ---------------------

    That modifies all files and directories, but the find command can do a lot
    more. If one file says something "denied", that one is the culprit, rerun
    as root (su).


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    @robin_listas - Except ".gvfs" GVFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia every one of the folders/files fell in line.Even then the stupid applet preferences remain locked
    I think the applet's preferences are meant to stay locked by the developer :-)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Change Weather Applet preferences in the panel of GNOME /openSUSE11.3

    On 2010-12-29 05:36, vazhavandan wrote:
    >
    > @robin_listas - Except ".gvfs" 'GVFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS) every one of the folders/files fell
    > in line.


    That's a special virtual filesystem, root is denied access to it. It should
    belong to you only:

    cer@Telcontar:~> l .gvfs
    total 52
    dr-x------ 2 cer users 0 2010-12-28 14:11 ./

    > Even then the stupid applet preferences remain locked


    Weird.

    > I think the applet's preferences are meant to stay locked by the
    > developer :-)


    No, that is not so. Mine are accessible, but I have 11.2. Try creating a
    new user, it should work. If it doesn't, then perhaps you have an updated
    version with a bug.


    Or perhaps you could try looking inside gconf-editor :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •