Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome crashes after installing Dropbox. ...or was it changing to Clearlooks...

Default Chrome crashes after installing Dropbox. ...or was it changing to Clearlooks...

Hi all,
    I try diligently to find questions already answered, but this one has me (and Google search) stumped.
    ...first, everything was working fine...
    On Saturday, I did a couple of things during the day:
    I poked around the (Gnome: Computer> Control Center > Appearance) settings because Google Chrome has a light grey slider bar on a white background, and it's hard for my old eyes to see. Normally, my "clearlooks" setting give me blue slider/mouse pointer; in Google chrome it does not.
    Second, I installed DropBox 6.7 using the "compile from source" instructions. ...as there are not OpenSuse instructions, otherwise.

I followed the DropBox instructions (not really very difficult) then I logged out and logged back in, per the instructions.

Then, no Google Chrome.

I tried using Yast to uninstall dropbox and chrome. I used the command line to uninstall dropbox, opposite the README instructions that come with the cited dropbox download.

Still no Chrome.

I deleted the .config/google-chrome :: nothing
    I uninstalled dropbox and chrome and installed chromium instead :: nothing

Chrome starts, asks me which search engine to use, the crashes. When I try from the command line, with --verbose, I get this:

cwdillon@mysite:~> google-chrome --verbose
    /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
    /usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
    /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
    /opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
    [12881:12881:9490151733:ERROR:chrome/common/json_pref_store.cc(48)] Error reading Preferences: File doesn't exist. /home/cwdillon/.config/google-chrome/Local State: No such file or directory
    [12881:12881:9490157821:ERROR:chrome/common/json_pref_store.cc(48)] Error reading Preferences: File doesn't exist. /home/cwdillon/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences: No such file or directory
    /proc/self/exe: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
    /proc/self/exe: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
    ^CHandling SIGINT.
    Handling SIGINT.
    Check failed: g_shutdown_pipe_write_fd != -1
    Successfully wrote to shutdown pipe, resetting signal handler.
    Attempting to load the system libmoon
    --2010-12-21 22:34:11-- https://clients2.google.com/cr/report
    Resolving clients2.google.com... 72.14.204.101, 72.14.204.100, 72.14.204.102, ...
    Connecting to clients2.google.com|72.14.204.101|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: unspecified [text/html]
    Saving to: `/dev/fd/3'

[ <=> ] 16 --.-K/s in 0s

Crash dump id: 13956f6bb5a0faf8
    2010-12-21 22:34:12 (1.08 MB/s) - `/dev/fd/3' saved [16]

Segmentation fault
    cwdillon@mysite:~> ^C
    cwdillon@mysite:~>

I'm pretty sure it was the DropBox install... Now, how can I get Chrome back?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chrome crashes after installing Dropbox. ...or was it changing to Clearlooks...

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chrome crashes after installing Dropbox. ...or was it changing to Clearlooks...

Though I would also like to see your repos:

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I won't be able to grab the repo list until I get home tonite.

Thanks for the info on installing dropbox. I'll try that tonite, too. If Chrome won't work, at least I can have dropbox working

OK, repos

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+---------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Geo/ | Geo/ | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_11.3 |
    2 | Java:jpackage-1.7 | Java:jpackage-1.7 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Java:/jpackage-1.7/openSUSE_11.3 |
    3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
    4 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.3/ |
    5 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
    6 | VirtualBox_for_openSUSE_11.3 | VirtualBox for openSUSE 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/ |
    7 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.3 |
    8 | download.opensuse.org-Banshee | openSUSE BuildService - Banshee | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Banshee/openSUSE_11.3 |
    9 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
    10 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
    11 | download.opensuse.org-packages | openSUSE BuildService - Javaackages | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Java:/packages/openSUSE_11.3 |
    12 | download.opensuse.org-php | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.3 |
    13 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard |
    14 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
    15 | Index of /suse/11.3 | Index of /suse/11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3 |
    16 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    17 | openSUSE-11.3-NonOSS-Add-on_11.3-1.80 | openSUSE-11.3-NonOSS-Add-on 11.3-1.80 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    18 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    19 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
    20 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    21 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |

Blog Entries

Can you give any good and valid reason why you have these repos:
    Number: 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12,
    You can also delete repo 15 it's a duplicate Packman

Have a look at this:
    Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Hmm. I guess I added each at some point thinking I needed it for something I was looking for...
    1 and 2 are necessary; 1 has QGIS and 2 has FreeMind
    7 I had added looking for Dropbox, but now that you gave me the other instructions I can get rid of that
    I can probably get rid of 3, 8, 9, and 12; I'll delete those along with 15.
    Don't I need 11 to get package that OBS contributors have put together? If not there's no reason to delete it, too.
    Probably I added 3 looking to play a movie at some point, but I don't recall whether it worked...

Ah-ha, the libdvdcss is required for playing movies and using it is a step in the Muliti-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide. I recall going through those steps now that I see it again. So, I'll keep that.

Blog Entries

Yes, you need libdvdcss but not the VideoLan repo

Don't I need 11 to get package that OBS contributors have put together?
    Not really, unless is hold some specific version or package not in OSS or NON-OSS
    Leap 15.1_KDE

OK. More good-to-know stuff. Thanks.

It seems I can get DropBox working, np. I haven't gotten Chrome back, yet. I suppose the thing to do is look at the installation scripts from the original DropBox install to see what it did that might be conflicting with Chrome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast