Chrome crashes after installing Dropbox. ...or was it changing to Clearlooks...

Hi all,
I try diligently to find questions already answered, but this one has me (and Google search) stumped.
…first, everything was working fine…
On Saturday, I did a couple of things during the day:
I poked around the (Gnome: Computer> Control Center > Appearance) settings because Google Chrome has a light grey slider bar on a white background, and it’s hard for my old eyes to see. Normally, my “clearlooks” setting give me blue slider/mouse pointer; in Google chrome it does not.
Second, I installed DropBox 6.7 using the “compile from source” instructions. …as there are not OpenSuse instructions, otherwise.

I followed the DropBox instructions (not really very difficult) then I logged out and logged back in, per the instructions.

Then, no Google Chrome.

I tried using Yast to uninstall dropbox and chrome. I used the command line to uninstall dropbox, opposite the README instructions that come with the cited dropbox download.

Still no Chrome.

I deleted the .config/google-chrome :: nothing
I uninstalled dropbox and chrome and installed chromium instead :: nothing

Chrome starts, asks me which search engine to use, the crashes. When I try from the command line, with --verbose, I get this:

cwdillon@mysite:~> google-chrome --verbose
/usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
/usr/bin/google-chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/google-chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
[12881:12881:9490151733:ERROR:chrome/common/json_pref_store.cc(48)] Error reading Preferences: File doesn’t exist. /home/cwdillon/.config/google-chrome/Local State: No such file or directory
[12881:12881:9490157821:ERROR:chrome/common/json_pref_store.cc(48)] Error reading Preferences: File doesn’t exist. /home/cwdillon/.config/google-chrome/Default/Preferences: No such file or directory
/proc/self/exe: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
/proc/self/exe: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)
^CHandling SIGINT.
Handling SIGINT.
Check failed: g_shutdown_pipe_write_fd != -1
Successfully wrote to shutdown pipe, resetting signal handler.
Attempting to load the system libmoon
–2010-12-21 22:34:11-- https://clients2.google.com/cr/report
Resolving clients2.google.com… 72.14.204.101, 72.14.204.100, 72.14.204.102, …
Connecting to clients2.google.com|72.14.204.101|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `/dev/fd/3’

<=>                                                ] 16          --.-K/s   in 0s      

Crash dump id: 13956f6bb5a0faf8
2010-12-21 22:34:12 (1.08 MB/s) - `/dev/fd/3’ saved [16]

Segmentation fault
cwdillon@mysite:~> ^C
cwdillon@mysite:~>

I’m pretty sure it was the DropBox install… Now, how can I get Chrome back?

How to Install Dropbox (Gnome)

Though I would also like to see your repos:

zypper lr -d

I won’t be able to grab the repo list until I get home tonite.

Thanks for the info on installing dropbox. I’ll try that tonite, too. If Chrome won’t work, at least I can have dropbox working :slight_smile:

OK, repos

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±--------------------------------------±---------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±--------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Geo/ | Geo/ | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_11.3 |
2 | Java:jpackage-1.7 | Java:jpackage-1.7 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Java:/jpackage-1.7/openSUSE_11.3 |
3 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
4 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/mirrors/packman/suse/11.3/ |
5 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
6 | VirtualBox_for_openSUSE_11.3 | VirtualBox for openSUSE 11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/ |
7 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.3 |
8 | download.opensuse.org-Banshee | openSUSE BuildService - Banshee | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Banshee/openSUSE_11.3 |
9 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
10 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
11 | download.opensuse.org-packages | openSUSE BuildService - Java:packages | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Java:/packages/openSUSE_11.3 |
12 | download.opensuse.org-php | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.3 |
13 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard |
14 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
15 | Index of /suse/11.3 | Index of /suse/11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3 |
16 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
17 | openSUSE-11.3-NonOSS-Add-on_11.3-1.80 | openSUSE-11.3-NonOSS-Add-on 11.3-1.80 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
18 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
19 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
20 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
21 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |

Can you give any good and valid reason why you have these repos:
Number: 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12,
You can also delete repo 15 it’s a duplicate Packman

Have a look at this:
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide

Hmm. I guess I added each at some point thinking I needed it for something I was looking for…
1 and 2 are necessary; 1 has QGIS and 2 has FreeMind
7 I had added looking for Dropbox, but now that you gave me the other instructions I can get rid of that
I can probably get rid of 3, 8, 9, and 12; I’ll delete those along with 15.
Don’t I need 11 to get package that OBS contributors have put together? If not there’s no reason to delete it, too.
Probably I added 3 looking to play a movie at some point, but I don’t recall whether it worked…

Ah-ha, the libdvdcss is required for playing movies and using it is a step in the Muliti-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide. I recall going through those steps now that I see it again. So, I’ll keep that.

Yes, you need libdvdcss but not the VideoLan repo

Don’t I need 11 to get package that OBS contributors have put together?
Not really, unless is hold some specific version or package not in OSS or NON-OSS

OK. More good-to-know stuff. Thanks.

It seems I can get DropBox working, np. I haven’t gotten Chrome back, yet. I suppose the thing to do is look at the installation scripts from the original DropBox install to see what it did that might be conflicting with Chrome…

There is nothing in Dropbox that conflicts with Chrome or Chromium

Solved! 'tis the magic of Chrismas, I suppose. I had started sifting through the errors and searching on those terms. Today I found this post on the Umbutu forums:

[SOLVED] 10.10 google chrome DOA - Ubuntu Forums](http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9983984)

and used Yast to uninstall libmooon0. Chomium cranked right up. So I installed Chrome. It worked fine, too. So, all along my original problem had nothing to do with either DropBox (which also is working properly, now) nor with the Clearlooks. The mouse pointer still shows up plain in Chrome/Chromium and the slider bar is still a little tough to see… But, all in all, I’m happy to have my apps back.

Generally, feeling better about my overall install too. Thanks, caf.

Thank you very much for posting back your solution. It’s always helpful when folk do that.

On 12/25/2010 09:36 AM, caf4926 wrote:
>
> CWDillon;2270161 Wrote:
>> Solved! 'tis the magic of Chrismas, I suppose. I had started sifting
>> through the errors and searching on those terms. Today I found this
>> post on the Umbutu forums:
>>
>> ‘[SOLVED] 10.10 google chrome DOA - Ubuntu Forums’
>> (http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9983984)
>>
>> and used Yast to uninstall libmooon0. Chomium cranked right up. So I
>> installed Chrome. It worked fine, too. So, all along my original
>> problem had nothing to do with either DropBox (which also is working
>> properly, now) nor with the Clearlooks. The mouse pointer still shows
>> up plain in Chrome/Chromium and the slider bar is still a little tough
>> to see… But, all in all, I’m happy to have my apps back.
>>
>> Generally, feeling better about my overall install too. Thanks, caf.
>
> Thank you very much for posting back your solution. It’s always helpful
> when folk do that.

Ditto what caf said. Additionally, you may want to hit the moonlight
site and file a bug report: http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

Always helpful for developers to get reports of problems…

…Kevin

Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org