Internet Exlorer 9, worse than ever....

Today, i downloaded the new IE9. With good dreams of my new browser i opened it for the first time. My smiling face didn’t remained for ever, after waiting for i guess 2 minutes the beautiful Yahoo! page appeared but was not as beautiful as ever. I at once deleted the IE9 and downloaded the Safari 5. I had a much better experience with that in past as well and when i saw it, all improved i was surprised and lost too as Yahoo! appeared in only 0.00001 seconds. I don’t thick so that this problem of IE9 would be with everyone but for me it’s waste.

I wouldn’t use Safari on Windows if I were You. As far as I’ve heard this version has huge security holes. If You want webkit I would really go for Chrome but if You only need speed I would recommend Opera 11.0. As far as I’ve tested it it’s really fast :slight_smile: and I think much less buggy than Safari + less google spying on You.

Best regards,
Greg

@glistwan, you say;
Opera 11.0 for speed & Chrome for web-kit but i recommend to use Safari is you need both the features rather than using two different browsers.

Safari is slower than Chrome and Opera. Also you can choose not to send information to Google. Opera and Chrome are the best browsers at the moment IMO.
As far as IE goes i haven’t used it and don’t plan on doing so. Mostly because i browse and do my work on Linux.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Why don’t you use konqueror or rekonq? Seamonkey an Firefox are good
browsers too

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk0SDmQACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVkTGgCfRSG7liGXyoJ1dDmJVx4NoNNZ
WREAoJjHgYReaLC8L9e0f+2xvuhFlPBl
=Mt4N
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Better stay away from any version of IE if you can. Yet another advisory:

BBC News - Microsoft warns on IE browser bug

If I have to use Windows first thing I do is install Firefox

I use chrome on all my OSs and I’m very happy with it

if you don’t want your info submitted to google,you can use chromium or any other derivative instead

I think someone once defined IE as a utility provided by M$ to help you fetch a good browser. lol!

Haha lol! That is so true :slight_smile:

I’ve also heard that it’s a tool to browse the Internet form your computer and vice versa.

Best regards,
Greg

Someone like me just uses IE to download Firefox then I never touch it again. lol! - Anyway I prefer to use an open source browser

My advice: do not use microsoft’s products

?? so you can actually uninstall IE9 and NOT have windows explorer still 9 ??
i had that issue with IE7 and HR block Tax cut
ie7 ( and windows explorer) killed tax cut and i had to do a clean install of xp then use the corporate blocking tool from MS to keep IE7 off the system

The reason is that I have a software (SciFinder Web) which only works on Internet Explorer. The software relies heavily upon Java, so I think that is why it must work with IE.

Secondly, I might consider installing a virtual system. I even tried to use “Install Hypervisor and tools” I saw in the OpenSuse menu. It opened a Xen boot option in the GRUB page. However, I could not install windows XP (which is quite enough for me), because the program says “the chips and hardware is not enough to allow full virtualization”

As a last option, I am now considering to install Internet Explorer 8 or 9 to OpenSuse (via Wine?). I am not sure it will work though.

What are your suggestions?

Thank you.
BA

On 06/23/2011 10:06 AM, bakkurt wrote:
>
> The reason is that I have a software (SciFinder Web) which only works
> on Internet Explorer.

this page http://www.cas.org/products/scifindr/sfweb/index.html#require
lists Mac OS 10.5 and .6

> The software relies heavily upon Java, so I think
> that is why it must work with IE.

i don’t think so, your firefox has a Java plug in…

now, it is true that the MS implementaion of Java does not conform to
the standards set up by Sun (Java’s creator) and there the web site’s
MS-Java may only work with a client runnign MS-Java…

hoo hiss!!

> Secondly, I might consider installing a virtual system. I even tried to
> use “Install Hypervisor and tools” I saw in the OpenSuse menu. It opened
> a Xen boot option in the GRUB page. However, I could not install windows
> XP (which is quite enough for me), because the program says “the chips
> and hardware is not enough to allow full virtualization”

i can’t help with that except to say: try VirtualBox…you can install
it with YaST… but, if you don’t have the required “chips and hardware”
you may run into some trouble…but TRY it if you have at least 1GB of
ram and a modern CPU…it will probably work…

> As a last option, I am now considering to install Internet Explorer 8
> or 9 to OpenSuse (via Wine?). I am not sure it will work though.

i don’t know…maybe someone else will…

>
> What are your suggestions?

do not let MS lock you in:

1. write SciFinder a nice email and ask them to support firefox on Linux
    also

and/or

1. there are several addons which allow firefox on linux to appear to
    the web site to be IE… try one of those, i have seen several web sites
    which claim to require IE but don’t actually, they just require the
    browser to pretend to be IE…

2. dump MS and buy a Mac

DD
Caveat
Hardware
Software
23 June: Sunrise 4:36 AM, Sunset 10:03 PM

This is complete nonsense :slight_smile: If it’s IE only it must be using something else except Java. The main purpose of Java is software “guaranteed” to being cross platform. (it’s dependent on the Java virtual machine though :stuck_out_tongue: and sometimes some OS underlying stuff)

The easiest way is IEs4Linux.

Last time I used it was on Ubuntu when I needed IE 6 but they say there is beta support for IE 7, 8 and 9.

Best regards,
Greg

Better Chromium. Its opensource.

Just to consider.
If you run Windows you should always use the latest version of everything. They will be more secure than the old versions. Also, if i am not wrong, i think you need the IE for the update service. So it makes no sense to uninstall it and run Firefox instead.
Haven’t read a lot about IE9 and so i am not aware of whats broken or how many holes are there. Just always update.

Yet another Windows-thread…

I know it chit-chat, yet I wonder why we should care about the Internet Explorer at all.

Anyway, there obviously is a way to run Windows without IE; there is an restriction within the EU that obligates Microsoft to let the user choose which Browser he / she wants to use ( see →here). Choosing an alternative browser will not uninstall the IE, but deactivate it.