Network file transfer crash

Hey guys,

HARDWARE SPECS:

• Intel P4 3.2GHz
  • Gigabyte G32M-S2L
  • 3GB RAM DDR2
  • 3 x 1TB RAID5 (MDADM)
  • 1 x 1TB OS Drive

New Linux user here. I’m running 11.3 x64 gnome (runlevel3) on my headless home file server. I’ve mounted my RAID array onto /shared and have setup samba (through Yast) for file sharing.
However I am having an issue when I transfer multiple small files over the network (i.e music) it will crash the box. I am unable to reach it through ping or SSH. It is also physically unresponsive where by connecting a keyboard or mouse to the system will not work.
Looking through /var/log/messages does not indicate any sort of issue. I’ve tried turning off unnecessary programs (rTorrent etc) to make sure it isn’t overloading the connections however the box still crashes.
Although transferring files locally from HDD to HDD does not crash the server.
Thanks in advance!

You did not indicate the file system on the RAID array, but I normally just use the “defaults” setting in my fstab for disks I want to share over the network:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-ST315005_41AS_0123456789ABCDEF-0:0-part1 /Software            ntfs-3g    **defaults** 0 0

Then here is the entry in my smb.conf file for the same partition:

[Software]
    path = /Software
    read only = No
    acl check permissions = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    profile acls = Yes

Why not show us your two settings in your fstab and smb.conf configuration files for the partition(s) in question? Also, using runlevel 3, the loaded desktop does not matter I don’t think. You need to be root to edit these files, but you can use the following terminal commands just to look.

cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

Thank You,

Hi jdmcdaniel3

This is my fstab printout for my shared mount:

/dev/disk/by-id/md-uuid-67ed4131:59ec1591:361a25f3:a60c1373 /shared              ext4       defaults              1 2

and my smb config:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon drive = P:
        usershare allow guests = Yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        domain logons = No
        domain master = No
        security = user
        usershare max shares = 100

[shared]
        comment = Public share
        inherit acls = Yes
        path = /shared
        read only = No
        directory mask = 0770
        create mask = 0770

Cheers

So, why not show us the version of the Samba files you have installed with this terminal command:

rpm --query --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}
' samba samba-client samba-client-32bit
samba-3.5.4-5.1.2-x86_64 -> openSUSE
samba-client-3.5.4-5.1.2-x86_64 -> openSUSE
samba-client-32bit-3.5.4-5.1.2-x86_64 -> openSUSE

Loading these three files will spawn all sorts of other files as well. Why not modify your smb.conf file for the shared folder to look like this:

[shared]
        comment = Public share
        inherit acls = Yes
        profile acls = Yes
        path = /shared
        read only = No
        directory mask = 0770
        create mask = 0770
        guest ok = Yes

Following is a great resource for Samba settings which could be worth a look:

openSUSE SuSE Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials by Swerdna

Thank You,

Hi,

With your shared folder smb.conf, i am getting “access denied” from my windows PC. The share is setup so only the owner and group have r/w access to the files.

I currently have:
package samba-client-32bit is not installed

Hi,

With your shared folder smb.conf, i am getting “access denied” from my windows PC. The share is setup so only the owner and group have r/w access to the files.

I currently have:
package samba-client-32bit is not installed
So, remove this line and try again: **profile acls = Yes

**I must say that I do wonder if there might be some sort of memory issue that might cause this problem. You seem to have a good version of Samba. Could I interest you in a different kernel version, just to make sure that is not the problem? Message #17 has the most recent version of S.A.K.C.:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.00

It might be worth a try to see if this might be helpful to you. Don’t do anything to lock up your computer while compiling a kernel. If S.A.K.C should lock your computer, it might make sense to run some memory diagnostics on this PC.

Thank You,

Hi jdmcdaniel3

I tried recompiling the kernel and it was successful, however the share still has the same problem.

I also tried the memtest for ~24hours and it did not detect any errors :S.

Could there be anything else, or i guess i’ll have to dump the box.

Cheers

xTatic53 Hi jdmcdaniel3

I tried recompiling the kernel and it was successful, however the share still has the same problem.

I also tried the memtest for ~24hours and it did not detect any errors :S.

Could there be anything else, or i guess i’ll have to dump the box.

Cheers
Based on your responce, it sounds like a software issue to me. The last time remember seeing this issue with Samba was due to a problem with a Samba software update version release. It was with openSUSE 11.2 and a Samba bad update. It caused me to downgrade Samba to the original Samba version that came with openSUSE 11.2. However, I have not seen or heard of this problem with openSUSE 11.3 and Samba so far. The only thing I see with your release is not loading the 32 bit Samba, which is not a problem to try and does not hurt, but it is hard to think it would help.

Thank You,

Just an update (sorry for resurrecting)

The problem was with the motherboard. It was running Gigabyte G32M-S2L with F9 BIOS. It has now since been replaced.
Thanks again for all your help jdmcdaniel3!

Regards.

The problem was with the motherboard. It was running Gigabyte G32M-S2L with F9 BIOS. It has now since been replaced.
Thanks again for all your help jdmcdaniel3!

Regards.
Well happy to hear you found out the problem. It is not often I suggest to someone you need to go out and buy a new motherboard. I do understand about this though as I build only clones myself and have installed many motherboards. Thanks for letting us know the exact problem that you had.

Thank You,