Multiple nautilus file browser windows on plugging in USB stick

Hi!

When I plug in a USB stick / hard drive, not only one but a bunch of nautilus file browser windows open (for the current stick, it’s 7 browsers). Everyone but one then says: “Unable to mount X GB Filesystem. DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending”
I’m guessing the error message comes from the fact that the first window already tries to mount the stick… I just don’t know why the other 6 are started.

Does anybody know what I could do to get only ONE nautilus window per USB stick plug-in? :wink:

I’m using openSUSE 11.3, gnome 2.30.0, nautilus 2.30.1 on an x86_64 system.

I don’t get this.
Could it be something to do with your device.
Is there anything non-standard about it?

Have you tried formatting it?
If you have ‘gnome-disk-utility’ installed, you can do that from right click

If there is, I don’t know what. Because it doesn’t happen just with one device but with every device I plugged into/used with this computer so far. Harddrive with USB port, USB stick, miniSD with USB-Adapter, UDF DVD, …
The harddrive was NTFS, iirc, the USB stick FAT32 and the miniSD was formated by my Nokia phone (FAT as well, as far as I know).
But if it happens for every kind of medium I tested so far - and consequently with all kinds of filesystems - I doubt that formatting anything will do much good.
It seems to be something with the gnome/nautilus/whatever automounting. But as I don’t know how that works, I can’t figure out anything more specific. Do you know where I should look?

Unfortunately I’m working in KDE at the mo and can’t look it up.
I think in Nautilus > Edit > Prefs > media (mine is all set to ‘Ask’)

Have you tried a new user login?

I’m fairly new to Linux and newer still to opensuse so perhaps the following is as obvious as ‘blue is a colour’, but hopefully it might be of use to someone who knows more about how things work, or someone who just wants this mildly irritating behaviour to stop until a fix is found. (There are several threads dealing with this but this one seems the most relevant and recent, my apologies if it should go elsewhere).

For what it is worth the problem seems to stem from the automount feature. I get the same behaviour with flash drives, ipod, audio cds and movie dvds (multiple instances of nautilus (but not just nautilus, see below) each accompanied with the “Unable to mount XXXXXX Filesystem. Dbus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending” error. Everything still works though, its just annoying.

Disabling automount gets rid of the behaviour, and mounting manually does not cause this behaviour, (open gconf-editor and then go to apps/nautilus/preferences and uncheck the ‘media_automount’ options). However, without automount the autorun options won’t work either. (That the problem is not connected to automount and nautilus interacting seems to follow from the fact that when I had ‘media_automount’ checked [but not 'media_automount_open], and also had Banshee as the autorun option for audio cds I got the DBus error message and six instances of Banshee were opened).

Another observation, closing the various nautilus windows opened by automount does not end the processes; if I end all of the processes then the next time I insert a device I get fewer windows opening up. As a best guess, given my lack of knowledge, as to what is really going on it seems that automount tries to mount more than once and hence gives the ‘operation is already pending’ error. But that is just a wild guess.