Thread: Help I am brand new as of three hours

Default Help I am brand new as of three hours

Hi to all the Opensuse 3.11 and linux geniuses, I have never used linux before and have always wanted to so after much reading last night I downloaded OpenSuse 3.11 Education to my laptop. I am trying to play a dvd in it and says I need a restricted codec which I found on this forum. Now I get the following message and I have no clue what it means locked pid 10386/usr/sbin/packagekitd but in the software center update will not install Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Help I am brand new as of three hours

Hello tgaston35 and welcome to the community!

Quote Originally Posted by tgaston35
    Hi to all the Opensuse 3.11 and linux geniuses, I have never used linux before and have always wanted to so after much reading last night I downloaded OpenSuse 3.11 Education to my laptop. I am trying to play a dvd in it and says I need a restricted codec which I found on this forum. Now I get the following message and I have no clue what it means locked pid 10386/usr/sbin/packagekitd but in the software center update will not install Thanks for your help.
    That error means another application is accessing the package management.
    And you can't have more than one application at the same time.

So check if you don't have YaST Software Management or YaST Software Repositories running in the background.
    Also make sure that there's no updater checking for updates and/or installing updates.

When running KDE there's an applet running in the background called KUpdateApplet.
    You should see it's icon in the bottom right corner.

Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

To play the dvd and other multimedia please follow the sticky guide in the multimedia section of this forum.

About the error it looks as though You have to package managers opened at once. How are You trying to install the package ?
    We need more information to help You.

Best regards,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Help I am brand new as of three hours

Hello tgaston35 and welcome to the openSUSE forums. When you first start openSUSE, the update package program starts running and so, you can't use Software Repositories or Software Management until the update icon is finished. Normally, this is complete in five minutes or so, then you can run those first two functions. Normally, I go into YaST / Software Management (after the update icon is done) and let Software Management update the repository file lists and then I select Package at the Top, then All Packages and finally Update if newer version available. Depending on the number that have changed, you may be shown the number to be updated and asked if you are sure. I would go ahead and update them all.

If you have not alrady done so, you need to read through this thread here:

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats/11.3

Once complete, I might ask if you would check your multimedia setup using the mmcheck script. Message #40 has the most recent script you should use:

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Hello tgaston35 and welcome!

I am very new also. I beleive you will be very happy with openSUSE and those who contribute on the forum. Their contributions are excellent as you can already see by the responses you have gotten.

As I am very new, the only thing I could tell you at this point, I immediately follow the guides jdmcdaniel13 suggested right after install. This will insure a great running system, and your install I suppose is not truly complete without following them.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Laptop: openSUSE 13.1 | Gnome 3.2.1 | i3 350m 2.27 GHz | HP Pavilion dv6 | 4GB RAM | Intel HD Integrated Graphics

Installed openSUSE, never going back!