Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No audio from certain apps, gstreamer problem??

Blog Entries

Default Re: No audio from certain apps, gstreamer problem??

Quote Originally Posted by inheritthewind View Post
    In System Settings > Multimedia
    they appear as HDA ATI SB VT1708S (SPDIF then Digital then Analog), followed by HDA ATI HDMI.
    IMHO Analog should nominally be first.

Digital seems to be a duplicate of SPDIF, I don't have anything connected to the analog ports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inheritthewind View Post
    Digital seems to be a duplicate of SPDIF, I don't have anything connected to the analog ports.
    Does it help if you change the setting in this mixer control :
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Smart 5.1',0
      Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
      Playback channels: Mono
      Mono: Playback [on]
    It could be you are experiencing another symptom of the bug with the hardware audio codec HDA ATI SB VT1708S (per the bug report I noted above)

Default [SOLVED] No audio from certain apps, default alsa device problem

Just wanted to finish this thread by saying the problem is resolved, and post the solution.

I tried a hundred things to get it working, including reinstalling standard 11.3 (same issue), kubuntu 10.10 (no audio at all ), loads of different alsa config fixes and patches.

In the end, the solution was incredibly simple (it usually is), and was actually posted on this board a year ago.

KDE apps worked, 'cos they're KDE and it's fantastic . Alsa apps that allowed config changes could be made to work - mplayer/vlc etc. But any other apps that used the alsa framework instead of phonon were silent.

This is because the sound would always default to analog, and as far as I can tell there is no obvious place to change it. Kmix and alsamixer allow you to switch spdif/digital on, and adjust volumes, but not set the default output device.

There may be a simpler way of doing this, if so please post it but the solution in this thread worked perfectly for me.

Code:
    pcm.!default {
          type plug
          slave.pcm {
                  type hw
                  card 0
                  device 3
          }
     }
    Just changed the device number to 1 for my spdif out.
    Don't know where non-KDE users configure this, if there's an equivalent to SystemSettings-Multimedia. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help.

I'd change the thread title to this post title, but I don't think it's possible - so I'll just add the tags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123