Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No audio from certain apps, gstreamer problem??

Blog Entries

Default Re: No audio from certain apps, gstreamer problem??

Quote Originally Posted by inheritthewind View Post
    Phonon backend is set to xine, and the playback device is set to SB [HDA ATI SB] VT1708S Digital SPDIF.
    I have no idea as to what that means ... ie no idea as to what app the playback device is set.

Can you provide output address/URL provided from running (with PC connected to Internet):
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and select SHARE/UPLOAD and post here the output URL/web-site address provided from running that

Did you confirm that the order of sound devices in KMENU > Configure Desktop > Multimedia matches the order of sound devices in YaST > Hardware > Sound.

I also suggested you check the order of sound devices one can read from running the diagnostic script "/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh". but I can not tell you did so.

Reference using the xine backend, ensure you have xine-ui installed, and run xine, then rightclick on xine window and select 'settings' > 'setup' and under 'gui' select 'master of the known universe' for 'experience level'. Close xine. Start xine again and rightclick on xine window and select 'settings' > 'setup' and select 'audio' and 'audio driver to use' and change it to 'oss' and then close xine and restart your desktop.

Blog Entries

KDE4.6 since the recent beta release.
    Ok, disregard my above posts. They are for KDE-4.4.4 at the newest. I have no idea what sort of breakage KDE-4.6 is likely to cause and I am not interested in debugging KDE-4.6.

Apologies for wasting your time with KDE-4.4.4 suggestions

I think KDE4.6 is a red herring. I had the same issue with KDE4.5, and as mentioned before - kde apps are working fine. I think KDE4.6 is mostly about PIM, akonadi and nepomuk integration anyway.

I'll try the steps you mentioned, and post back.

Blog Entries

Have you tried enabling pulse audio in Yast > Sound

FYI: The login pic was just to illustrate the login screen, ignore the console login info
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

I'll try all the above when I get back home in a couple of hours. Thanks everyone for their help so far.

OK, first test revealed something strange. KDE System Settings plays the test sound (as usual), but YAST - Sound produces no test tone on either card. SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) or AMD Technologies Inc card. There's none of the detailed output devices you get in the KDE Settings.
    I'll run the alsa script next.

I'm working through some of the suggestions in the forum sticky, and speaker-test and sudo speaker-test produce nothing. Phonon still works fine, though.

I suppose that means its an alsa problem rather than gstreamer.

Blog Entries

I'm working through some of the suggestions in the forum sticky, and speaker-test and sudo speaker-test produce nothing. Phonon still works fine, though.

I suppose that means its an alsa problem rather than gstreamer.
    I see three possibilities (although there could be others).

1st - I note:
    Code:
    !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    !!--------------------------------------

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200]
    Which means you need to ensure KMenu > Configure Desktop > Multimedia has same order, and YaST > Hardware > Sound same order.

2nd - I also note your hardware has a Codec: VIA VT1708S

There is a bug report on that hardware audio codec on bugzilla here: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=614062

3rd - Your cutting edge KDE-4.6 has caused problems. Compared to KDE-4.4.4 it has very very VERY little testing with audio.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    3rd - Your cutting edge KDE-4.6 has caused problems. Compared to KDE-4.4.4 it has very very VERY little testing with audio.
    I really don't think this is the problem. Audio within KDE just works. I suppose I could test it by booting to the console and doing speaker-test.

1st - I note:
    Code:
    !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    !!--------------------------------------

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200]
    Which means you need to ensure KMenu > Configure Desktop > Multimedia has same order, and YaST > Hardware > Sound same order.
    That's exactly how they appear in YAST > Sound. In System Settings > Multimedia
    they appear as HDA ATI SB VT1708S (SPDIF then Digital then Analog), followed by HDA ATI HDMI.
    That seems to mirror the alsa-info.sh:
    Code:
    0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                          HDA ATI SB at 0xfe6f4000 irq 16
    1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                          HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe8e8000 irq 19
    2nd - I also note your hardware has a Codec: VIA VT1708S

There is a bug report on that hardware audio codec on bugzilla here: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=614062
    Interesting. I have the same motherboard as the person in the second last comment. They said they had sound, but has issues with mixers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast