Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding repositories

Blog Entries

Default Re: Regarding repositories

You are using kde factory and it's not something I recommend for the inexperienced.

The VideoLan repo is not in the multi-media guide for 11.3, therefore you would not add it. If you scroll up to earlier version of the guide, VideoLan is referenced as a source for libdvdcss, but only that package.

You need to slow down and read carefully the advice in that guide and consider providing zypper lr -d for us.
    I would recommend you switch to the kde release 45 repo, which I can advise on, once I have your full repo info
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

OK, so I messed up my system a little bit after upgrading from Factory I switched to KDE 4.5 Stable and all hell broke loose... As I got the day off and not much to do I will do clean install now so just quick question regarding KDE 4.5 -

KDE 4.5 Stable
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3

KDE 4.5 Extras
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Release_45

After install and update I should add those two, am I correct? But what about this one:

KDE Updated Apps (will it work with 4.5?)
    Index of /repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_11.3

Will it be of any use with KDE 4.5?

Regarding VideoLAN this is what I said earlier today:
    As I understand it this repository was needed for Libdvdcss and it don't have to be added now because there is a separate reopsitory just for that library. But if I want to have latest version (at least as far as repositories goes) of VideoLAN I should leave it, yes?
    I got it from YaST -> Community Repositories. Only reason I want to keep it for is to have the latest release of it - I'm using it as my main media player.

EDIT: If above repositories are the correct ones should I do any switching afterwards?

2nd EDIT: And what about this 'j. eng' repository?
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_pa...sitories#j.eng
    http://jftp.medozas.de/openSUSE_11.3/

Blog Entries

Yes I would use these:

I wouldn't use updated apps.

This what I would do.
    Install
    Update
    Follow Multi-media guide

Add the kde repos and use the switch on the main kde45 repo
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Swi...itch%20kde.png
    Then you may want to switch some packages back to Packman manually with the radio switch (k3b, kaffeine,)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Swi...-button-QT.png
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Perfect! And this is how I will do it, thanks for advice. And last three questions...

Could you elaborate why you wouldn't use Updated Apps? Some dependency problems with KDE 4.5?
    And you said:
    Then you may want to switch some packages back to Packman manually with the radio switch (k3b, kaffeine,)
    But wouldn't that mean downgrading some packages from KDE 4.5? Why this steep is necessary or what will be advantage of doing that?
    And my last question is about this German repository - 'j. eng'. Do you know anything about it?

Blog Entries

Updated Apps: Really not needed and it just adds another complication to your being able to manage everything.

k3b and kaffeine in particular are part of the multimedia packages and should be Packman for best results. Actually k3b should be fine from kde so long as you have the k3b-codecs from Packman.
    Actually I tend to just do the Packman switch again
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Swi...cs/packman.jpg

And my last question is about this German repository - 'j. eng'. Do you know anything about it?
    What?
    Let me see a URL
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I got information about 'j. eng' from here apparently it's providing:
    * Security and network related packages with enhancements
    * Linux kernel; functional realtime extension and Netfilter developments for state-of-the-art firewalls. Prebuilt packages for NVIDIA, fglrx, VMware, Virtualbox, etc..
    OK, I'm happy with your explanation of why I should switch to Pacman. But still... this Updated Apps... Won't I will get updated versions of KDE applications from there? New features and the like? Or it's for KDE 4.4 and not 4.5?

EDIT:
    And have a look here - this repository is looking more and more interesting!

Blog Entries

I wouldn't bother with that repo unless you have some absolutely critical need.

Updated apps can be used - Yes it provides updated versions of some apps
    It's up to you. Take my advice or leave it. I'm not an absolute authority on all things kde or openSUSE. Just trying to help.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Thanks man - your help is really appreciated! I think I shall leave 'j. eng' and Updated Apps alone - as you said, life will be less complicated. OK, reboot and reinstall now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12