Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin services menus

Default Dolphin services menus

So I want to get mount/umount option under right click services menu. I went to Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin -> Services -> Download New Services and from there I installed KDE CDEmu Emulator and MountISO. But neither of them is showing up in actual context menu. Neither in Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin -> Services for that matter. I tried to install them as normal user and as a root. I went to have a peak in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ but they aren't there as well...

It's just me or lots of things seems to be not quite working in 11.3?

Default Re : Dolphin services menus

Wich version of KDE do you have?

Indeed, in KDE 4.3.3, some things were not implemented perfectly yet...

Default Re: Dolphin services menus

Well, I'm on 4.4.4 and things don't seems to be perfect here either

As for Dolphin - I did system-wide search for *.desktop files - got couple of thousand of those! But none of them, at least by name, resembled either of those installed by me...

Default Re : Re: Dolphin services menus

Did you try a manuel install of those? Go to Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org, download the servive menu you want and copy the files in the right folders.

Default Re: Re : Re: Dolphin services menus

Genius! I got MountISO and it DOES actually work. But it doesn't changes the fact that Dolphin / KDE is more that a bit buggy....
    Thanks for your suggestion!

Default Re : Re: Re : Re: Dolphin services menus

Upgrade to KDE 4.5.4, it is worth it. A lot of bugs have been fixed, it is really great.

Quote Originally Posted by with23nails View Post
    So I want to get mount/umount option under right click services menu. I went to Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin -> Services -> Download New Services and from there I installed KDE CDEmu Emulator and MountISO. But neither of them is showing up in actual context menu. Neither in Dolphin -> Settings -> Configure Dolphin -> Services for that matter. I tried to install them as normal user and as a root. I went to have a peak in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ but they aren't there as well...
    When you click the install button in "Download New Services" the service menus are not installed but only downloaded to "/home/bla/.kde4/share/apps/servicemenu-download/". From there you can install them by hand. Convenient, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by supertimorplusfort View Post
    When you click the install button in "Download New Services" the service menus are not installed but only downloaded to "/home/bla/.kde4/share/apps/servicemenu-download/". From there you can install them by hand. Convenient, isn't it?
    I didn't know this one. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by supertimorplusfort View Post
    Not convenient at all if you need to have magic skills or ask in a forum to learn about it. Why isn't this explained anywhere? Also, the service menu selector lets you select the downloaded service menus (to show up or not), which is very misleading. Isn't GHNS supposed to provide an easy and unified way to install extensions?? I love KDE and Dolphin, but sorry, to call this convenient seems ironic.

I assumed the GHNS feature was broken for service menus for the longest time! Btw, KDE 4.5 didn't change this.

I agree. It is good to know, but it is inconvenient. It should install the service menu. Same on KDE 4.5.4. It doesn't install the service menu. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast