X11 directory replicating in /usr/bin, filling disk

Noticed that one of my partitions on openSuse 11.1, mounted as /usr, filled up suddenly with over 20 GB of something. Tracked it down to /usr/bin, in which the X11 directory contains 2353 items and another X11 directory, recursively at least 11 times that I’ve expanded without reaching the last X11 directory. The newest files in each directory are dated 11/24/10.

Any idea of what’s happening? How to stop it before it fills the disk?

So, I think you have hardware that is failing or configured wrong, thus most likely these are error messages. I no longer have a PC running openSUSE 11.1, which is no longer supported, but on openSUSE 11.2 or 11.3, I don’t even have a folder called /usr/X11 it is called /usr/X11R6. In any event, you could download my error log file viewer called slave and use version 2.10 in message #11.

S.L.A.V.E. - SuSE Logfile Automated Viewer Engine - Version 2.00

There is a viewer for xorg errors you could look at though boot errors might also be good to look through.

Thank You,

Looks like it’s time for 11.3. Thanks.

You have stumbled upon a red herring. /usr/bin/X11 is just a symlink to /usr/bin. It’s just there for backward compatibility for old programs. There is really no recursion. You’ll have to look elsewhere for the files using up /usr.

On 2010-12-05 23:06, ken yap wrote:

> You have stumbled upon a red herring. /usr/bin/X11 is just a symlink to
> /usr/bin.

Yep.

~>l /usr/bin/

… X11 → ./

> It’s just there for backward compatibility for old programs.
> There is really no recursion.

It looks to me as recursive :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Good, then you’re in the same boat at the OP. You can explain it to him then. :stuck_out_tongue:

@OP: Just look for new files (e.g. younger that one hour) under the /usr directory:

find /usr -cmin -60 | less

It will become apparent when there is anything suspicious.

You can also do:

you@host:/usr> du -s *

to see which subdirectory is actually growing.