Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot see All the Ubuntu User files

Default Re: Cannot see All the Ubuntu User files

Quote Originally Posted by ANewSon View Post
    the /etc/fstab file shown is NOT in DEVICE NAME, instead it's in DEVICE ID form
    Hitachi/something-something/asdfhshshf-part-1
    Yep. You can mount by disk ID, UUID, Label or device name. Mounting by device names is not a good idea but, as it didn't require further explanation ... I personally mount by UUIDS. You can read the UUIDs for all devices by simply typing the command: blkid. That would have helped too.

Just a silly question (that I should have asked before): how many HDs do you have?

However I remount Ubuntu partition again, by going Yast > "System" at left panel > "Partitioner" at right panel > remount the Ubuntu partition again by setting the fstab option to use DEVICE NAME instead, finally the ubuntu device name in /etc/fstab change to
    /dev/sda4
    Yep it comes to the same.

But I believe that will not work if changing /dev/sda4 to /dev/sdb4 because the /dev directory has
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3
    /dev/sda4
    .. and so on
    and only have one of type "sdb" that is,
    /dev/sdb
    Your assumption was correct ... but I couldn't see that you didn't have that device from a distance.

However, I still change /dev/sda4 to /dev/sdb4
    That wasn't good (under these circumstances).

And the result ?! I'm now in Windows 7 Professional, because I can no longer boot into openSuSe, the /etc/fstab configuration is wrong. openSuSe cannot verify the drive correctly....something like that, so it can no longer startup.
    Yes. OpenSUSE, Fedora and other Linux distros should learn how to handle such errors. Ubuntu normally ignores missing devices and wrong entries in /etc/fstab, as long as they are not needed, while Unix asks for confirmation before proceeding.

I have to learn how to use vi to edit the /etc/fstab and change back to /dev/sda4 D*mn, why do I keep forgetting the vi command ?!
    Can you not mount /dev/sda5 in Ubuntu?

Code:
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo gedit /mnt/etc/fstab
    Or boot from a Live CD ?

Or even use such a command:

Code:
    cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bad 
    sed 's|sdb4|sda4|' /etc/fstab.bad > /etc/fstab
    My Ubuntu now is also broken, the Gnome is not showing, because I follow this tutorial to delete human user password
    Linux: Delete user password ...
    That wasn't my fault.

because I believe it is an authentication and encryption of the human home folder issue. It's to do with "encryptfs".
    I never uses encrypted filesystems, so I don't know. But I guess that's probably the cause of all your troubles.

Please_Try_Again to read these

The two commands showing the Apache Web directory, those are my own created project files, NOT the linux system files. Those 2 commands showing the existence of same folders content, that confirmed that the Ubuntu drive was mounted correctly in openSuSe.
    Yes. But don't use ll. It's not a command, it's an alias. It could produce diffferent results under different OS (as you might have noticed from your example). Use ls -la if it comes to compare outputs.

You can run blkid /dev/sda4 under openSUSE and blkid /dev/sdb4 under Ubuntu to see if they are the same device ... or is /dev/sdb4 just a faked device generated by the encryption. I have no idea.

The issue is obvious from a previous comment. The user HUMAN has encrypted it's home directory and the key material is not available to the opensuse user. Gather your key material and unencrypt the directory via opensuse and you will see all of your content.

Thanks to please_try_again and jpugh

I will try to solve that later, cause now am having another problem with my web server Problem seems endless, I have just installed openSuSe 3-5 days ago and used it for the very first time and I'm in love with it, because of many things like Yast, KDE programs and many many more. However, those days and until today I have been just solving problems & problems, have not started doing my work yet...
    Those problems are quite commonly faced
    • Windows 7 conquered the MBR and causes openSuSe cannot be boot in, but luckily it's already solved.
    • Another one is that the keyboard Fn key does not work for certain key like adjusting the brightness, and I have to wear sunglasses literally because the screen was in maximum brightness, luckily it was already solved too

But overall, I love openSuSe and I love Ubuntu and I love Windows 7, all of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. They complete each other.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12